Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD Upscaling

• 17-12-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

I have a Sony DVD recorder that supports HD Upscaling with a HDMI cable. Before I purchase one, I want to check if this is worthwhile or just a gimic. Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I have a Sony RDR-HXD870 and I have to say I noticed the difference. Tried it on Batman Begins and it did a great job on my 42" Pioneer plasma. Have since invested in a PS3 and hd-dvd player for full HD. Glad I did. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Upscaling can work , no doubt about it , but not all upscalers are equal , the PS3 is a great upscaler for the money , but watch out for cheaper brand upscaling DVD players , they can be an awful waste of money.

All flat panels have a scaler , so anything you connect will be automatically scaled , Where an upscaler makes a difference is when the scaler is better than the one in your TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mathias wrote: »
    Upscaling can work , no doubt about it , but not all upscalers are equal , the PS3 is a great upscaler for the money , but watch out for cheaper brand upscaling DVD players , they can be an awful waste of money.

All flat panels have a scaler , so anything you connect will be automatically scaled , Where an upscaler makes a difference is when the scaler is better than the one in your TV.

I bought this one:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333552

from www.komplett.ie It is connected to a 37" Tosh LCD. There is indeed a difference as other posters have pointed ou. Enjoy.

Advertisement