Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baby on Board Stickers

Options
  • 17-12-2007 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is on some other thread, but what exactly is the point of 'child in car please drive carefully' and 'baby on board' stickers? I mean I would hope that people would be driving safely anyway, I'm not going to suddenly change my driving because of this. Does anyone know what they're for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What concerns me is why people are so concerned about what others do?

If you think you drive safely as it is, keep on motoring and ignore them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They are there to keep you from flirting with the (hopefully) decent looking driverette :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Why do people put so many stickers on their back windscreens anyway? It just prevents a good view from your rear windscreen and too many are just dangerous. Many are just crap 'Will you please stop following me around?', a cartoon character pissing on a Man Utd/other football team shirt HA HA Or people just advertising some garage. I'd just peel 'em all off and let the garages pay for their own advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The baby on board ones are actually for the Institute of Advanced Motoring test. A wooden board is suspended between the rear door handles and a small sleeping child is balanced on it. The idea is to keep the baby on the board by reading the road ahead for dangers and by being smooth in your use of the throttle and brakes. The stickers are to warn other , non advanced, motorists not to try and keep up with your silky smooth, fast driving.

At least that's what I think I read or overheard or made up somewhere.

I think it's time for a pettys corner sticky thread for all the horns, foglights, speed bump parking and stickers-people-don't-see-the-point-of threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

milltown wrote: »
    The baby on board ones are actually for the Institute of Advanced Motoring test. A wooden board is suspended between the rear door handles and a small sleeping child is balanced on it. The idea is to keep the baby on the board by reading the road ahead for dangers and by being smooth in your use of the throttle and brakes. The stickers are to warn other , non advanced, motorists not to try and keep up with your silky smooth, fast driving.

At least that's what I think I read or overheard or made up somewhere.

I think it's time for a pettys corner sticky thread for all the horns, foglights, speed bump parking and stickers-people-don't-see-the-point-of threads.

Now that gave me a laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

They are just advertising the fact that they are parents and more responsible, cleverer and more mature than anyone else.

"please spare the trildren!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

To be honest, they are pointless, the kind of muppet who drives like a spanner is not going to change their driving just because of these stickers imo.

I had to laugh because only this morning some guy was tailgaiting me on the A14 (I was in the middle lane) while the right hand lane was empty. When he did eventually decide to overtake me I noticed one of these stickers in his rear window :) I couldn't see if he had a kid in the back or not but I certainly hope not given his driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i dont get them either,

its like parents with photo's in their wallets, they love to show off their little monster, whereas the rest of us could'nt care less.

I thought the idea of them (the original yellow triangle ones) was so Emergency services could quickly identify a vehicle with a child in it in the case of a pile up of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Originally they were in German and intended to warn the emergency services that in the event of a bad smash that there was possibly a small human on board.
    If unrestrained the child could also be possibly thrown clear of the vehicle.
    That as I understand was the original meaning, now people just expect you to give them a wide berth as they perform slalom manoeuvres while dropping Oísin off at the creche...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Well I suppose it would look a bit odd having a sign saying: "Eureka, my genitals work!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

There as an indicator that the driver is putting on makeup / on the phone / smoking a fag / or a combination of all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

f22 wrote: »
    There as an indicator that the driver is putting on makeup / on the phone / smoking a fag / or a combination of all 3.

They are to advertise the fact that the car's owners/occupiers are indeed fertile and have indeed managed to bring another being into this world.

I think some of them should be replaced with "Gobsh*** on Board" stickers, as they would be far more descriptive of the driving exhibited.
    Then again those stickers would be suitable for so many drivers in this country.

It only goes to show a license should be necessary to procreate.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If unrestrained the child could also be possibly thrown clear of the vehicle.

So there is a potential market for a reversible "Baby is/was on board" sticker.. Ill get on to the patent office..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

or maybe "baby on dashboard"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

SMM wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is on some other thread, but what exactly is the point of 'child in car please drive carefully' and 'baby on board' stickers? I mean I would hope that people would be driving safely anyway, I'm not going to suddenly change my driving because of this. Does anyone know what they're for?

They're to give people who have too much time on their hands something to post on forums

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're great. They give you a clear indication of which cars not to park near in a car park, as you'll most likely come away with dents in your doors if you ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

They're put up by women in Range Rovers their husbands paid for, they really mean "Yummy Mummy on board".

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They are actually handy for marking passenger Santa Fe's from Commercials. Most are given free with baby food etc. and are really adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I must admit I have one of those stickers on my car - advertising eumom.com. Maybe they could alert other drivers to the fact that the driver of that car might be:

a. seriously sleep deprived
    or
    b. distracted/distressed by screaming baby in back

It would be a good idea to have a range of stickers to alert other drivers to various personal issues other road users might be having... maybe 'hungover driver' or 'driver just had a row with girlfriend/boyfriend' :p

• Advertisement

I think we should re-name Boards.ie/motors to:

Boards.ie/I have to much time on my hands and spend my days endlessly whinging about things others do that have no affect on me and while I am at it make sweeping generalisations.

prospect wrote: »
    I think we should re-name Boards.ie/motors to:

Boards.ie/I have to much time on my hands and spend my days endlessly whinging about things others do that have no affect on me and while I am at it make sweeping generalisations.

Er, isn't that making a rather sweeping generalisation about the users of the motor forum? :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Lot of people here with serious chips on the shoulders for some reason.

So what if people like to put a sign up on the car asking you not to rear end them because they have a baby in the car?

I have kids, don't have a sticker on my car, but don't care if others do either.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Er, isn't that making a rather sweeping generalisation about the users of the motor forum? :p:D

LOL, yeah, but then I am a member of Boards.ie/Motors :D:p

I feel obliged to generalise.

High&Low wrote: »

So what if people like to put a sign up on the car asking you not to rear end them because they have a baby in the car?

I have kids, don't have a sticker on my car, but don't care if others do either.
    ...but, but, but, this is the internet, serious business!
    prospect wrote: »
    LOL, yeah, but then I am a member of Boards.ie/Motors :D:p

I feel obliged to generalise.
    Touché :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I have one up in my car, because the mother in law gave it to us when the nipper came along. Id rather put up with the sh1t from you guys than upset the mother in law!!:p:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

High&Low wrote: »

Yep because I drive and live in this country I have two gigantic chips on shoulders here ;)

So is it ok to rear end cars that don't have babies on board ?

Anyway I am placing a big Sinn Fein sticker in the back window and hope that will also work as deterent to would be rear enders :D

I have one offspring but refuse to have any of those damm stickers.
    It is just a marketing gimmic dreamt up by someone to either sell a product or just sell the damm stickers themselves.

Has anybody ever thought about putting one of those scrolling displays in back window ?
    You could have pre-programmed messages such as "get off my rear end unless you want to meet Mr Winchester" or "Do you want to do a brake test ?"

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

jmayo wrote: »
    Has anybody ever thought about putting one of those scrolling displays in back window ?
    Or one of these - http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8e9a/
    driving_emoticon.jpg

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭jacool

to quote a comedian whose name i can't recall
    " The only reason the sign is important is if the baby is driving !"
    I presume that the actual reason is simply to stop idiots like me who like nothing better than ramming my car into the rear of every car in front of me - until I think of that little drooling 'goo-goo-ing' object in the car in front of me (that went and put up such a stupid sign!) and I feel symmpathy for them I leave them alone !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

jmayo wrote: »
    Yep because I drive and live in this country I have two gigantic chips on shoulders here ;)

So is it ok to rear end cars that don't have babies on board ?

I was paraphrasing something from the Simpsons. When Marge gets a sticker with "baby on board" on it and she says to Homer: "Now people will stop intentionally ramming our car..."

I personally don't see the point in the stickers (don't see the point in the pink and blue ribbons stuck to cars either) but I don't care if people have them...

Advertisement