Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Limerick Rugby capital thing just a myth?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

If you think about it......
    ok look at the current Munster team.
    How many of them are from Limerick city......3
    Wally Murphy and Fla
    And ironically enough Fla was born in galway and wally in cork!
    O'Connell and Hayes are from COUNTY Limerick (castleconnell and cappamore), Stringer,Donnacha, Frankie, ROG, Kelly,Horgan and Mick are from Cork
    Leamey and Quinny are from Tipp, Horan and foley are from Clare. Dowling is from KK!
    I just want to see what people think about this,
    Please dont move it to Rugby page, I want this to be a discussion on the Limerick claim of being Rugby Capital more than anything.
    If anything surely Cork is??

This is not meant to offend, just to debate. Cheers lads.
    Cheers Lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

well if you look at it a good few of those players not from limerick played their club rugby in limerick quinlan foley etc.. and o'connell and hayes are still from limerick even if its county limerick and again they played for young munsters and shannon... I think limerick is the only place that can be considered the capital of rugby r and it aint about the amount of players playin in the team from limerick.. it's about the spirit they have the spirit the munster team have most definately in my opinion game from the shannon team..and just the spirit around the city aswell with regard to rugby it's different to anywhere else..well thats my opinion anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

harpy hayes and o'connell are county limerick men, not limerick city men and they would be quick to tell you this too!
    and its limerick city who claim to be the rugby capital.....
    i am a city man but i do think we are a very self indulgent city.
    and to say shannon is the driving force.....get away!!
    tell that to wally pauly rog donnacha barry murphy etc etc etc
    what a lod of rubbish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

You are over looking the fact that Paul O'Connell, David Wallace, Jerry Flannery, Anthony Foley, Marcus Horan etc were all educated in Limerick and have played for city clubs. Without, St. Munchins, Crescent Comp, Ard Scoil Ris, Young Munsters, Shannon, Garryowen etc, these players would not be where they are today.

Just as an aside....ROG, Frank Sheahan and were both born in north America (O'Gara in the US and Sheahan in Canada). John Kelly was born in Dublin. I actually think that David Wallace was born in Limerick (his brothers were born in Cork) but I'm open to correction on that one.

I just don't see what a players birthplace has anything to do with Limerick being the nations rugby capital.

You are also overlooking the success that Limerick clubs have had on the national stage (AIL League).

good reply timesnewroman
    well said. True points. You are indeed correct abour ROG and Frankie
    its funny to think Frankie is a yank frank the yank :D what a lunatic :)
    Is Kelly a DUB???:eek: NEVER KNEW!

But when i read Donn O'Sullivan in the Post talking about Munster being away when they play in Musgrave Park.....it drives me mad!
    Would u agree some limerick munster fans are WAYYY too precious!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I would agree totally with your point that some Limerick people are far too snooty about Munster rugby. For years, the Munster panel was dogged with divisions between Limerick and Cork based players (selection policy was often very biased too). It was the start of the professional era that seemed to eradicate that. I think there are plans to redevelop Musgrave Park after the makeover of Thomond Park is finished. Personally, I think its vital that Cork gets its share of games.

• Advertisement

as much as i "dislike" the langers...dont we all :D people need to remember there are 6 Counties in Munster not one city! Altho what waterford ever did for us!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There are very good reasons why Limerick brands itself as the rugby capital.

It is the primary sport of 3 or 4 of the main secondary schools in the city, Ardscoil, Munchins, Cresent, Castletroy, and to a lesser extent Villiers, Clements and Nessans. In Cork, a much larger city, it is really only two schools who compete in top teir rugby.

Limerick clubs dominate the AIL, and not just the top division, Young Munster's are second in the second division and Bruff are leading the third division. Again, the much larger Cork has only ever won the AIL twice (iirc), and then, it was the same club, unlike the 3 Limerick clubs who have won it.

I don't see why people feel the need to throw stones at the positive press rugby brings the city. There is nowhere else that has so many competitive schools and club for such a relatively small population, hence it is the rugby capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

harpy hayes and o'connell are county limerick men, not limerick city men and they would be quick to tell you this too!
    and its limerick city who claim to be the rugby capital.....
    i am a city man but i do think we are a very self indulgent city.
    and to say shannon is the driving force.....get away!!
    tell that to wally pauly rog donnacha barry murphy etc etc etc
    what a lod of rubbish!!
    Well I'm a county man and I'd be happy to call Limerick (city) the home of rugby anyday, you forgetting that Limerick city too is in the county, Limericks just the focal point in the county.

Advertisement