Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all the petrol Stations Closing down?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

In town........nearly all gone!
    Not incl Dock Rd
    But i would think the one out there by The Fair Green past the Fair Tavern, the one in Roxboro and the one or 2 on the Dublin Rd, but that it!
    All the rest are gone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

Remember MK?
    Is it closed?
    And Peak is gone too?
    Its like petrol stations! All closing down in town :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Just like Dublin, probably for development for retail and housing, make more money on the land..sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think margins on petrol are very low, so alot of stations rely on groceries to make their big money. Most of the stations that closed down had really terrible shops, so they suffered as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

maybe so Mister E
    thing is NONE of them have done anything since
    The 2 there at punches facing each other are just abandoned, the one on Mulgrave St is a disgrace and they seem to be doing something with the one beside the hurlers but i wont hold my breath.
    Its not the lack of petrol i am worried about but the eye sores it leaves behind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The 2 there at punches facing each other are just abandoned

John Moloney's at Punch's Cross has run into planning difficulties, but I'm sure once the residents concerns have been satisfied building work can begin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's the overheads, high oil prices are (strangely enough) bad news for the garage owner. They rely on the shops for profit and most of the ones that closed had either bad shops or were situated on land that was more valuable for another purpose, ie, Ted Castles was sold to make way for a hotel iirc, the shell out the Ennis road was sold to developer Robert Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mr E wrote: »
    I think margins on petrol are very low, so alot of stations rely on groceries to make their big money. Most of the stations that closed down had really terrible shops, so they suffered as a result.
    I would of assumed most of them are now making their money on the shops they have as part of the petrol station, profit from petrol alone would not be enough so either convert to a shop or...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Note the amount of large garage/supermarket things popping up. EG the one one the dock road

Advertisement