Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PC] Any decent point n' click Adventure games released recently in the past year?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

You know, in the vein of Fahrenheit and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey with a gripping storyline, voice-acting and a swooping score ? Im desperate for a fix :o

Perhaps something released recently has slipped under my radar? Id love to have something to play over Xmas :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

How about 7 Sam and Max games?

www.telltalegames.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Cheers, Mr E.

Are they all good games? Or are any of them substandard?

They're all entertaining (some more than others).

One of the best episodes (Abe Lincoln Must Die) can be downloaded for free, so you can try out a whole episode for free. If you like it, you can buy the first series (6 episodes) together.

4 more episodes will be released over the next 4 months too.

Its only £15 on GAME.co.uk.

I might grab it instore this week assuming its a similar price. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

might pick that up too, played some of episode 1 thought was good fun. I'm currently replaying the old scumm games (monkey island, day of the tentacle etc and simon the scorcerer on the psp - games were much wittier in the early 90s :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Scratches is about the best recent one I've played. You might have a bit of a job tracking it down though.

http://www.scratchesmystery.com/

That sounds cool, calsatron. Must look it up...

Interesting. Its a 1st person adventure? Also, I see has a 67% score on metacritic.

Did it ever get an Ireland / UK release?

It is first person, Myst style if you like. Although in style its a classic inventory based deductive adventure.

The lower reviews on Metacritic's main problem with the game seem to be that its a classic adventure game, pointy and clicky, and hasn't implemented any of the more recent "advancements" in the genre ie 3d graphics, direct control or action elements. In fairness though the ending is rather abrubt and doesn't satisfy.

I'd stand by the fact that its the best classic point and click you'll get that's been released in the last year or so though.

As another option the most recent Broken Sword (The angel of death) isn't bad either, although it can get a bit frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Scratches is horrific. It's so boring you'll want to gnaw your fingers off to stop playing it!

There's two Sherlock Holmes games. One is The Awakened which mixes Holmes and HP Lovecrafts Cthulhu mythos, and then the other one is Sherlock Holmes versus Arsene Lupin which pits him against some french thief (can't remember the Author of those books). They're both played from a first person perspective, but are mainly point and click adventures. I recommend them both (but I have to because I'm mad into Sherlock Holmes books).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

not *really* point and click but its in the same ball park..

But if you have not played Oblivion, drop what your doing and go and get it now :)

Unfortunately, not a fan at all of open-ended RPGs like Oblivion :)

Now The Awakened sounds intriguing!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Sniping in Team Fortress 2 = Point and click adventure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Playing Dreamfall at the moment. The story is great but the game is extremely easy so far. Im about 4 hours in and i only got stuck once.

Played Broken Sword 4 earlier this year. That wasn't too bad. The story was grand but it didn't have the magic of BS1 and 2. And by god it was frustrating, the puzzles were often very difficult.

Thinking of getting The longest journey next and i see myst is now available on the DS. Never played it so may get it as well. Id probably be better off getting all 5 myst games on the PC for the same price though.

OP: Get Broken Sword 1 or 2 if you havn't played them yet although i suspect you have if your a fan of point and clicks. Broken Sword 4 if you havn't played it yet.

Ah Scratches isn't that bad by any means, it is a bit of a slow burner though and doesn't really feature any other characters other than the protagonist. You can only really appreciate what its trying to do once you've finished it and I would agree that it isn't for everyone.

Return to Mysterious Island is another one that wasn't bad in a non-offensive kind of way.

Your best bet is probably just to play through Grim Fandango again mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Have a look on www.justadventure.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 YogaChick

I liked it a lot.

Reviews
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/930765.asp

It can be purchased for download

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Plenty of adventure game mentioned here that I've never heard off, thanks lads, I'm going to have to get some of these ;)

Chumpski wrote: »
    OP: Get Broken Sword 1 or 2 if you havn't played them yet although i suspect you have if your a fan of point and clicks. Broken Sword 4 if you havn't played it yet.
    You suspect correctly :D
    YogaChick wrote: »
    I liked it a lot.

Reviews
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/930765.asp

It can be purchased for download
    Hi, welcome to boards :)

Can you tell us why you liked it? Ive never heard of it.

Advertisement