Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

White cars

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Why do people here hate white cars ?
    They are becoming more popular I think but in general people who have no opinion about anything else say straight up - "I will never have a white car" why is that do you think?
    In the US and many other parts of the world white is the most popular.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say our climate has a lot to do with it, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They look awful when they get dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stark wrote: »
    They look awful when they get dirty.

not true ...just leave them to get really dirty and then they turn a neutral beige

black or dark blue is worst for showing the dirt, you'll forever polish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Becuase, in contrast to the USA where it is a colour associated with luxury marques such as lexus BMW, Mercedes - it is a colour that people here associate with racery jap imports (Glanzas , Integras etc) and also White vans (including small 3 door gatch back vans like Corollas , Focus etc). Simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's also the fact that the advantages of white in hot climates don't really apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

mike65 wrote: »

Not exactly comparing like with like there now to be fair, theres a bit more than just colour in the difference with those two
    C_Breeze wrote: »
    it is a colour that people here associate with racery jap imports (Glanzas , Integras etc)

You might have a point there to be fair

So silver is the Irish equivalent of the Japs white.

My wife once pointed out that in a row of cars turning right at a junction, the first nine were all silver and there was a break of only one cars before 10 and 11 in the same colour !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Silver is er common, only black is truly cool but as stated you'll be busy at the weekends.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

White just doesn't work well with a lot of cars.

THe main exception at the moment is the Golf GTi which looks fantastic in white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I actually see more and more white cars here, such as new 3 series coupe and new Merc models.
    I have both, white and black car, both are difficult to maintain, black being even more difficult.
    I have seen 2 new M3 in white as well, it looked funcking beautiful with the black carbon roof.

I know for instance in the US, white is super mega ultra class for a car.

When my white bimmer is cleaned up and waxed, many heads are turning over, even the fact this is crappy E36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It makes you look like your to cheap to pay for metalic paint.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Niall1234 wrote: »
    White just doesn't work well with a lot of cars.

THe main exception at the moment is the Golf GTi which looks fantastic in white.
    +1

I was out in Cork on friday night with 3 mates, walkin along and a shiny new white Golf GT Sport (170) pulled up beside us (it had a lot of GTI added features like wheels etc). The 4 of us stopped and all agreed that if we were ever to own a white car that this would be it. Stunning car.

White is pretty horrible on almost everything else though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

white is now big on the comeback trail, mainly due to the German manufacturers. Audi used white for their publicity shots of the new A4 and Mercedes used white to show off their new C-Class in the TV ad. It was kicked off by VW a couple of years ago with the Golf GTI.
    It's all fashion-related if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have a white Berlingo van and I think it's the biz!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

New model Civic type r 4dr in flat white

Stunning...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's a guy near me with a white '07 M5.

The older Civics had a white white for the basice 1.4 ish models but the typeRs had that off-white which is 100 times nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I think white is a gorgeous colour on a car. Especially with red leather. I'll forever remember this as being one of the most beautiful displays of white I've seen. An American car naturally. He's even changed the ///M badge to suit the paint. <3

attachment.php?attachmentid=17466&d=1144453091

attachment.php?attachmentid=17467&d=1144453091

attachment.php?attachmentid=17468&d=1144453091

attachment.php?attachmentid=17469&d=1144453091

attachment.php?attachmentid=17470&d=1144453091

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

I think the skyline looks best in white

sky4.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That m5 is stunning!!!!

Also, the s3 is fantastic in white as well! I like white. I have a black car, well its kinda brown at this stage! Some cars do look too "jap importy". Saying that, I would gladly take that m5. Sooo nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

White to me looks really cheap, especially cos it's not metallic. I also really hate silver and would never buy a silver car. Far too bland, everyone has them. My car is metallic red!!!

I love green, orange, gold, light blue cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

I put it down to the iPod. It's made white cool.
    Seriously, before the iPod, you wouldn't touch a white car with a 10 ft barge pole! (unless you were in the market for cheap imported Corolla)

Now all the sleekest motors are being flogged in the colour. It's become the de facto standard for all high performance cars, GTIs, M3s, M5s, R8s ...all white.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As as stated about the White Beemer with red leather, Pat Keogh (I seem to be pluggin what he has here a lot lately) has an unreg'd 320 E92 in the showroom with siad combination....not the biggest fan of red leather, but it did matche up well.

Also white's are now available in pearlescent removing the "solid colour" argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

i used to hate white but its really grown on me recently. i think it looks best on high end sports cars like BMW m3/m5, Audi R8 and, as mentioned, the golf gti. also, lamborghini's are stunning in white!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

White is trendy again. Having owned black and white cars though, I can honestly black is a lot harder to keep looking decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I thought it always brought down the resale value when you were trading it in

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Practically every car is worth less in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

peasant wrote: »
    black or dark blue is worst for showing the dirt, you'll forever polish it.

Agreed
    My car is "ultra blue" - metalic dark blue, and its a nightmare to keep clean.

Every speck of dirt and scratches screams off it

Looks lovely when its clean but tends to last about a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A friend had a beautiful white mk2 Golf GTi 16V. Definitely the best colour for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I recently read that a white car of any kind is the least type of coloured car to be involved in an accident. Ive also never seen some cars in white like a Ford Scorpio, the present S Class or an Avensis hatchback (03 on).:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

G Luxel wrote: »
    I recently read that a white car of any kind is the least type of coloured car to be involved in an accident. Ive also never seen some cars in white like a Ford Scorpio, the present S Class or an Avensis hatchback (03 on).:(

I wonder though is that due to there being a lot less white cars on the road. Its good news for me whatever the reason being the semi-proud owner of a white 318!

Advertisement