Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Times Gardai doing speed checks

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

The earliest I've ever seen is about 8 and that was in an urban area. Latest I've seen is 10 at night, again in an Urban area.

Don't think I've ever seen a Garda doing speed checks in the dark on an unlit road. I'm guessing this is to do with safety issues ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I got stopped, several years ago, at 2am on a national route, by a cop, on his own, operating at static check, ie parked up at side.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Bogger77 wrote: »
    I got stopped, several years ago, at 2am on a national route, by a cop, on his own, operating at static check, ie parked up at side.

He must have done something the boss didn't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Niall1234 wrote: »
    The earliest I've ever seen is about 8 and that was in an urban area. Latest I've seen is 10 at night, again in an Urban area.

Don't think I've ever seen a Garda doing speed checks in the dark on an unlit road. I'm guessing this is to do with safety issues ?

Don't think their gun works in dark areas at night, or unlit areas, that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Don't think their gun works in dark areas at night, or unlit areas, that kinda thing.

I don't think this is correct. I know several people who've had fines following detection at all times of day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Avns1s wrote: »
    I don't think this is correct. I know several people who've had fines following detection at all times of day and night.

I think you'll find I am correct. - Your friends were probably detected in well-lit areas, or by fixed cameras (with the flash).
    But while most accidents on Carter Road occur after night fall, these speed guns will not be useful in the dark.

Senior police officers say lack of proper "illumination" renders the speed guns useless in the night. "There is no proper illumination to keep a track of speeding vehicles in the dark," said Harish Baijal, deputy commissioner of police, (traffic).

Source: http://in.news.yahoo.com/070604/48/6gngv.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I was done for speeding about 5 years ago on my way to Limerick at 12:45am. A lone female Garda with a speed-gun. Went like this:

Garda: "Hello, your name please?"
    Me: <gave name>
    Garda: "Ok, you were doing 80 in a 60 and I'm issuing you with a fixed fine."
    Me: "Ok, how much is the fine?"
    Garda: "60 euro."
    Me: "Oh, so it went down? Last year it would have been 50 pounds. (€63.50)"
    Garda: <laughing> "Yep, you're saving money!"
    Me: "Do you get many speeders at this time of night?"
    Garda: "Enough, but we are also looking for drink drivers from night clubs"
    Me: "Great"
    Garda: "Here's your ticket, drive safe"

And she went on her way. In a funny way her approach was great and even though I was caught, I thought fair enough, its good that they are out.

if the cop can see your head lights, he can check your speed! laser's only affect by fog.

as for his boss hating him, I was chatting the guys in his station, when paying the fine, and it's something he does of his own bat.

"There is no proper illumination to keep a track of speeding vehicles in the dark," said Harish Baijal, deputy commissioner of police, (traffic).

Errr... don't cars have headlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Avns1s wrote: »

They can catch you at night alright with laser, I've used an LTI Marksman & its easier to clock a car at night.

However the GATSO van /w LTI laser doesn't get used at night

They can catch you at night alright with laser, I've used an LTI Marksman & its easier to clock a car at night.

However the GATSO van /w LTI laser doesn't get used at night
    But, it could be used.
    main reason it's not used is that the driver can't be id'd by photograph.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find I am correct. - Your friends were probably detected in well-lit areas, or by fixed cameras (with the flash).

I think you'll find my driving license record proves you incorrect. (ps: police equipment in India does not equal police equipment in western europe)

Radar and Laser are not affected by the dark, in both cases, it's easier to pinpoint a car to check. Radar point at lights, laser point between the lights.
    Laser is affected by fog, so technically dark foggy nights or foggy days are the only handheld laser guns won't work. Radar guns work in fog, so do static gatso camera's as the distance from camera to the lines on the road is unlikely to be obscured by fog, heavy rain would be more obscuring.
    To be totally "safe" from speed checking equipment, you'd need to be driving on a road, with no traffic (no car following you) during a zero visibilty fog (no laser), or during an extremely heavy down pour(no radar), during the dark (no gatso van) while the road is covered by snow or hail (no white lines, so no gatso camera).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

jayok wrote: »
    I was done for speeding about 5 years ago on my way to Limerick at 12:45am. A lone female Garda with a speed-gun. Went like this:

Garda: "Hello, your name please?"
    Me: <gave name>
    Garda: "Ok, you were doing 80 in a 60 and I'm issuing you with a fixed fine."
    Me: "Ok, how much is the fine?"
    Garda: "60 euro."
    Me: "Oh, so it went down? Last year it would have been 50 pounds. (€63.50)"
    Garda: <laughing> "Yep, you're saving money!"
    Me: "Do you get many speeders at this time of night?"
    Garda: "Enough, but we are also looking for drink drivers from night clubs"
    Me: "Great"
    Garda: "Here's your ticket, drive safe"

And she went on her way. In a funny way her approach was great and even though I was caught, I thought fair enough, its good that they are out.

was she good looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

To be totally "safe" from speed checking equipment, you'd need to be driving on a road, with no traffic (no car following you) during a zero visibilty fog (no laser), or during an extremely heavy down pour(no radar), during the dark (no gatso van) while the road is covered by snow or hail (no white lines, so no gatso camera).

....or driving within the speed limit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

7 am ish outside Enniscorthy

MGrah wrote: »
    ....or driving within the speed limit. :)
    That was stating the obivous, but only 100% way to ensure you don't get caught speeding, is get a chauffeur.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That was stating the obivous, but only 100% way to ensure you don't get caught speeding, is get a chauffeur.

Or dont drive.

A squad car is often out side my estate at night with a gun (be it laser or radar I havent asked!). The place has bog stanard lighting and seems to work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You are incorrect.

I was caught at 1am between Roscrea and Dunkerrin on the N7. There are no street lights in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i think you'll find you are incorrect.

that article references india.

reference something with relevance or speak from experience before before spreading mis-information.

dubmick wrote: »
    was she good looking?

Actually she was. Tall, red-head, called Lorraine (even 6 years later I remember). Even glammed up with some make-up and earings! If your gonna be busted, it was as well be by some good looking woman. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

laser speed guns used by the guards here and a lot of countries are deadly quick at getting speed readings from cars. ive seen them on youtube and i got one myself on ebay a few months ago so i know. the good old days of using a radar detector are gone sadly as they use radar very little here now and laser is so fast you might get a warning if you have a good one but you cant slow down in half a second which is all you have really.

the tripod you have seen on the road is used to keep the gun steady to get fast readings on cars around a half mile away.

the beam sent out is only 3 feet wide at 1000 feet but unsteady aiming can buy you time if youre very lucky

by the time you usually see them youre caught if you were going too fast. however if you do not get pulled over you should be ok as it usually doesnt have a camera hooked up to take pictures.

• Advertisement

D_murph wrote: »
    laser speed guns used by the guards here and a lot of countries are deadly quick at getting speed readings from cars. ive seen them on youtube and i got one myself on ebay a few months ago so i know.

Its not a Pro-Laser II by any chance ;)

My, however did you guess that :confused:? ;):D

My, however did you guess that :confused:? ;):D

Pays to be in the Know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Got stopped at 12:45am going into Cork, 10 minutes downthe road there was a Tax/insurance checkpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_AIodtyEU&feature=related

think before ye speed lads. this is what the gardai are doing when looking through the tripod camera. instant speed readings and that is only a fraction of the range on these things.

and BTW they do work in the dark and just as well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

regularly midweek theres gardai doing speed checks in a possible 2 locations on the N9. one a lit up area the other not

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Latest I've seen them in Dublin was at 00:00 on the dual carriage coming from Blanchardstown to the Navan Road.

It's the DC with the two petrol stations on it, one on each side. They were at the very end of the carriageway beside the Halfway House pub, hidden in behind the bushes.

Another time, I've seen them on the Ballybogan road in Glasanevin at 23:00. This time they were hidden at the blind corner. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

:eek: That was incredible! It really brought me back to my arcade game days tho :D

pretty lethal eh? ;). you brake when you see them but..........

its too late, :eek: youre done. next thing you know, youre being pulled over :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement