Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test tomorrow - Few Qs

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

The dreaded day is tomorrow... I just wanted to ask a few questions. Had a bit of a search but couldn't find what I was looking for, might have been using the wrong words. Anyway...

If there's a cyclist or a really slow tractor or something on a road with a continuous white line, can I overtake? My instructor said it's ok if it's to pass an obstruction... Normally I would for the cyclist but wouldn't for the tractor...

Also if I go to the tax office after the test and I have passed, can I get the form there and fill it out? And if I can and do apply, will the receipt I get cover me as a Provisional licence or a full licence? Can I drive on motorways with it?

And can I take my L-plates off as soon as I come out of the test centre if I pass?

Last one, if I totally mess up my reverse around the corner but don't do too badly on everything else will I fail?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,808 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If there's a cyclist or a really slow tractor or something on a road with a continuous white line, can I overtake? My instructor said it's ok if it's to pass an obstruction... Normally I would for the cyclist but wouldn't for the tractor...
    Tractor no, unless they pull in to a heard shoulder and give you plenty of room, cyclist yes.
    Also if I go to the tax office after the test and I have passed, can I get the form there and fill it out? And if I can and do apply, will the receipt I get cover me as a Provisional licence or a full licence? Can I drive on motorways with it?
    You can apply straight away (get pics) but you can't legally drive on the motorway until you actually get your licence

And can I take my L-plates off as soon as I come out of the test centre if I pass?
    Again, I think you legally have to wait until you get your licence.
    Last one, if I totally mess up my reverse around the corner but don't do too badly on everything else will I fail?
    Depends on how you mess it up - come in too wide or end to wide you may only get a grade 2, so it will depend on how you do elsewhere on the test. Mount the curb/hit something and a grade 3 is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was told after passing my test that i could take down my L plates straight away. It was the tester that said it to me. I'm only going on what he said though.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tauren wrote: »
    You can apply straight away (get pics) but you can't legally drive on the motorway until you actually get your licence

Again, I think you legally have to wait until you get your licence.

I'm sure it's fine. I mean all the receipt says is "Receipt for 10 year full license", same as someone who previously held a full license gets when they renew theirs. I'm sure they don't expect the latter person to stay off motorways and display L-plates while they wait for their new license.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I just passed mine today but thought I would have to leave the L-plates up until I got the actual license. Anyone know for certain if you can take them down? It'll probably be a week or two until I actually get the license (possible longer with Christmas holidays).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are uncertain keep plates up until you get the real licence, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The driving test pass Certificate is not a licence, AFAIR it even says so on it. Until you get your licence you are still driving on your provisional/learner's permit.

I have heard the one about being able to drive on the receipt issued when you apply for a licence, I suppose it makes some sense as if you have handed in one licence to get a renewal/upgrade you are temporarily without anything. Not sure if it is legal though.

Advertisement