Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Up

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just wondering how long it took ye guys before ye could stand on the board? I only just started surfing last weekend and couldn't managed it. it seems damn near imposable to do. Should I have been able to get it in my first lesson? Does it take a few lessons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm no expert to be honest, but it depends on weather and wave conditions, your fitness level, the board, the instructor and a load of other factors. I certainly wouldn't be hard on myself for not standing up in your first session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Took me ages to get the hang of it. Check YouTube for surfing lessons and then practice popping-up on your bed, should give you a headstart before you hit the water again.

cornbb wrote: »
    Check YouTube for surfing lessons and then practice popping-up on your bed, should give you a headstart before you hit the water again.

The wife gets really annoyed at me doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

lightening wrote: »
    The wife gets really annoyed at me doing this.

Well, you shouldn't have been doing it while she was in the bed ;):D

cornbb wrote: »
    Well, you shouldn't have been doing it while she was in the bed ;):D

I know. She hates the smell. It gets very warm with the heating on, the wetsuit, the hood, gloves and booties....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Weird. My missus loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ksir

thanks guys. goin out again this weekend see if i can manage it. been practicing humping the bed alight so hopefully that will help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Gettin the stand isn't the worst, gettin it right can take ages. Most important thing tho is just enjoy it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 whammy

lessons are usually a joke. dont bother wasting your money. you wont really learn anything your friends our other surfers will tell ya. i know im a surf instructor. the only thing you get out of it is confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

whammy wrote: »
    lessons are usually a joke. dont bother wasting your money. you wont really learn anything your friends our other surfers will tell ya. i know im a surf instructor. the only thing you get out of it is confidence.

They're great for the chance to see if you actually like it before wasting €500+ on gear...

• Advertisement
Advertisement