Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double charged

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hi i bought apair of jeans from very big company in city centre. catch is there was a problem with the visa machine when i was payin i had to enter my details twice.so i checked my statement from the bank and i was charged twice.. saddly i cant put my hand on the recepit i went up with my bank statement time and date of transaction.. they wouldn even look in to it.. surely i can do something after all they took the money with out my consent......... please some advice???????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Just go back to the store with your credit card statement (as long as it clearly shows two transactions) - you should not need a receipt as you are not asking for a refund on the goods, just a refund of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

its not up to you to prove they made a mistake. its up to them to prove they provided you with two items and charged you accordingly.

my advice is call your bank and tell them now in case they won't budge, and then go back to the store and don't take no for an answer.

if they won't budge, call the bank and do a charge back. what they're doing is essentially theft

edit: but above all, don't get angry at them. maybe they're being pr!cks but they're the ones deciding whether or not to do the refund so treat them with respect and you'll get a lot further than threatening to write to the papers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 flakey

its not up to you to prove they made a mistake. its up to them to prove they provided you with two items and charged you accordingly.

my advice is call your bank and tell them now in case they won't budge, and then go back to the store and don't take no for an answer.

if they won't budge, call the bank and do a charge back. what they're doing is essentially theft

edit: but above all, don't get angry at them. maybe they're being pr!cks but they're the ones deciding whether or not to do the refund so treat them with respect and you'll get a lot further than threatening to write to the papers etc
    i went up today i had to take a hour off work to go up .... so i made a call last week and i spoke to a nice guy who said no probs hell sort it drop up so i did... he wasnt in i got some english manger who is over covering.. i had my bank statement with me he wouldn even look in to it for... im thinkin of contacting the gardai after all the stole the mony from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

he got refunded in the bank, when he went back to shop, they said it might take a day or two to refund and it did? Apparently it happens all the time (or so the girl in shop said)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Transactions are often stopped midway. If you have to enter your details a second time, the staff should provide you with a slip showing that the first transaction has been voided before proceding with the second one.

Go speak to your bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ring the number on the back of your credit card. Tell them what happened and they will CR your account and sort it out with the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Dudara says report it to your bank. They will need to treat it as either a breach of credit card procedure or potentially fraud/theft. The Gardaí won't be interested unless the complaint is from a bank.

Also, if it's a large company I'd consider sending them a letter of complaint detailing your grievance and stating that you have reported the matter to your bank as fraud.

this happened on the 26/11/07 i only discoverd it last week surely they would have noticed there visa up at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ring your bank, tell them you want to dispute the transaction, they'll credit your account and will take the dispute up with the merchant's bank.

lynchie wrote: »
    Ring your bank, tell them you want to dispute the transaction, they'll credit your account and will take the dispute up with the merchant's bank.

no problem ill contact bank in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

flakey wrote: »
    i went up today i had to take a hour off work to go up .... so i made a call last week and i spoke to a nice guy who said no probs hell sort it drop up so i did... he wasnt in i got some english manger who is over covering.. i had my bank statement with me he wouldn even look in to it for... im thinkin of contacting the gardai after all the stole the mony from me

The person you speak to on the phone is never there when you call in.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭witchywoman

This Is A Common Enough Situation, All You Need To Do Is Ring Up Visa And Tell Them Its A Duplicate Charge. Merchants Are Obliged To Refund You. If They Dont They Lose Their Merchant Status, Which Is Kinda Problematic For A Shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ring the visa line of your bank. Ignore the branch, they have to ring through for them anway. They will be able to see the t/x were done with in a minute of each other and should do a CB qutie easily for you. This isn't a fraud/theft issue.

This is a straight forward enough thing and nothing to worry about. Tbh I'd never go to the branch about a visa query, tellers often don't have access to the computer systems to visa all visa details. Usually only a bare boned version.

Advertisement