Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB Coverage

• 17-12-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

Anybody living in South Dublin/ North Wicklow have experience with DAB? Just wondering what the coverate is like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Of the current RTÉ trial from Three Rock, no worries there, should be fine. I'm not 100% sure what its like south of Bray.

If you are expecting to receive British stations, if you are up in the montains higher than Killiney hill, then there is a chance. But slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

I'm in Tallaght and I can't receive DAB.
    Pissed off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

DMC wrote: »
    Of the current RTÉ trial from Three Rock, no worries there, should be fine. I'm not 100% sure what its like south of Bray.

If you are expecting to receive British stations, if you are up in the montains higher than Killiney hill, then there is a chance. But slim.

I saw dozens of DAB radios in Currys last night, surely they would not be allowed to sell them if coverage was not very good? I live in Dun Laoghaire and was hoping to be able to listen to the BBC, do you know if there is any chance?

The coverage of the RTÉ test would be fine across Dublin, I dunno if gerocks is referring to BBC DAB, but the RTÉ DAB test is receivable, I have a radio set up in Citywest getting the transmissions.

I don't think its properly explained to people when they are going to buy a DAB digital radio, or people have higher expectations and its not properly researched. Maybe because its a still a "test", a full marketing campaign hasn't taken off.

As a rule, you cannot get BBC DAB digital radio transmissions in >99% of Dublin homes.
    I saw dozens of DAB radios in Currys last night, surely they would not be allowed to sell them if coverage was not very good? I live in Dun Laoghaire and was hoping to be able to listen to the BBC, do you know if there is any chance?

At sea level, not a chance. You can see the endeavours I went to a couple of years ago on this thread, when there was no DAB service from RTÉ. Also, there is more recent information at the end of the thread.

A wifi radio ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The coverage of the RTÉ test would be fine across Dublin, I dunno if gerocks is referring to BBC DAB, but the RTÉ DAB test is receivable, I have a radio set up in Citywest getting the transmissions.

I don't think its properly explained to people when they are going to buy a DAB digital radio, or people have higher expectations and its not properly researched. Maybe because its a still a "test", a full marketing campaign hasn't taken off.

As a rule, you cannot get BBC DAB digital radio transmissions in >99% of Dublin homes.

At sea level, not a chance. You can see the endeavours I went to a couple of years ago on this thread, when there was no DAB service from RTÉ. Also, there is more recent information at the end of the thread.

A wifi radio ftw.

I'd thought about a Wi Fi radio, I might still get one so i can listen to Capital Radio. Trouble is, BBC Radio pick up your IP address and won't allow football commentary outside of the UK, which is pretty much all I want a radio for:D

I guess the same would apply to a Wi Fi radio as well.

• Advertisement

Aye, the only free methods of listening to BBC Radio 5 Live are via Medium Wave, or satellite. Not too sure what the current position is on NTL cable via digital or via a hifi tuner.

It would be the case with wifi radios, I have not seen an effective method of bypassing the geo-ip address restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Not too sure what the current position is on NTL cable via digital or via a hifi tuner.

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~icdg/tuning_ntl_dublin.htm

Not sure how up to date it is Damo?

Looks about right Greenman!

A quick search of the boards, cos I remembered I did post up the frequencies before.... but Jesus, I'm a prophet! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

No DAB testing in Cork yet.

Advertisement