Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Fiat Punto has dropped it's price

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

I noticed in The Sunday Times yesterday that there was a full page colour ad pointing out that from January the price of a Punto will be falling by as much as €1,250 as a result of the VRT change. What's more interesting is that Fiat have decided that any Punto registered from January will benefit. Now that is clearly good for the consumer, but what I'm wondering is have Fiat kept some of the difference for themselves(just to be clear they are passing on the VRT reduction in January instead of in July next year)?

Petrols are down by €750.
    1.3 75 bhp Multijet is down by €1,000.
    1.3 90 bhp Multijet is down by €1,250.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Does that make the 1.3 90 the same price as the petrol nearly now??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

E92 wrote: »
    , but what I'm wondering is have Fiat kept some of the difference for themselves(just to be clear they are passing on the VRT reduction in January instead of in July next year)?

Sorry but I don't quite get the question.

The actual VRT is still the same until July so if FIAT are passing on the reduction now are they not actually losing money? As they will have to pass on full VRT to Revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

they can drop the prices to 1 euro and it still don't make a difference , punto's are wreaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

No, still way more expensive at 19K.

Fiat are selling less than Kia and Hyundai at the moment so they needed to do something but their cars are still too expensive even with a 4yr warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Riskymove wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't quite get the question.

The actual VRT is still the same until July so if FIAT are passing on the reduction now are they not actually losing money? As they will have to pass on full VRT to Revenue?

What I meant was Fiat have dropped the prices of the Punto by between €750 and €1,250 which is to be welcomed(especially as people were coming on here saying that the VRT savings wouldn't be passed on to the customer at all) but is the saving they are passing on the full saving as a result of the VRT changes(FWIW I realise that Fiat are going to lose between €750 and €1250 for every Punto they seel between January and June next year, but I'm wondering are they going to be gaining anytrhing after 1/7/08 because there's not going to be a change in July for the Punto's pricing.

• Advertisement

To me it doesn't appear they are passing on the full saving.

€20500 is the list price for the 90bhp diesel grand punto which is in the 14% VRT band.

VRT at present is 22.5% which is €4612.5

so pre VRT price is 15887 which is 86% of full price under new VRT rules so 100% under new VRT rules is €18473 and they say they've knocked 1500 off the price so to me it appears they are pocketing 500 euro.

I think my calculation is near right regardless of whether you go off RRP or 10% below RRP for OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's like Citroen "paying the VAT", it's just marketing b*ll*cks.

Full story here.

Yes Mailman is on the ball, they are not pocketing €500 at all they are pocketing €750 its a €1,250 reduction for the 90 bhp diesel. In fairness they are speccing up some models too like most petrol engines which will come with aircon as standard for no extra cost.

The Grande Punto is such a rare car these days, it's sister the Opel Corsa at a rough guess outsells the Punto by around 6 to 1. Hard to believe the Punto was the nation's favourite supermini only 9 years ago.

I wonder has this got ANYTHING at all to do with VRT or are FIAT just trying to shift Puntos.

It sounds like a load of bollocks to me as the Punto is the only car mentioned while I'm almost certain if you asked a dealer about the situation on a new Brava in January you'd be told "where to go":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

S.I.R wrote: »
    they can drop the prices to 1 euro and it still don't make a difference , punto's are wreaks.

Back up statements like that before making them.

I'll back up mine: They're not.

Theres one parked outside this house right now, 16 months old Grande 1.3 Multijet with SEVENTY THOUSAND K on the clock. Its not broken down once. The biggest "problem" it has is that the glovebox doesn't close flush since my nephew *stood* on the open door.

You've posted statements like this about Fiat's in a number of threads without providing any evidence whatsoever.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »

Theres one parked outside this house right now, 16 months old Grande 1.3 Multijet with SEVENTY THOUSAND K on the clock. Its not broken down once. The biggest "problem" it has is that the glovebox doesn't close flush since my nephew *stood* on the open door.

You've posted statements like this about Fiat's in a number of threads without providing any evidence whatsoever.

Check his handel, then picture the car, then picture the driver and then picture why such a car owner might take issue with a Punto, reliability isn't the first thing that comes to my mind!!

Sorry for the generalisation, but S.I.R. has done it so I'm judt doing it back:p

He's actually driving a Saab 9000, rather than the Civic SIR you might imagine.

Joint 1st with E92 as the most misleading name! (he drives an S40)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ninty9er wrote: »
    Check his handel, then picture the car, then picture the driver and then picture why such a car owner might take issue with a Punto, reliability isn't the first thing that comes to my mind!!

Sorry for the generalisation, but S.I.R. has done it so I'm judt doing it back:p

He specifically said that they were "wreaks" (note the lovely spelling), so I'm presuming he meant reliability wise. If its based on something else, a Giugiaro design somewhat covers the looks angle, and a 1.3 90bhp turbodiesel covers the power angle...

So, its just general muppetry then, I guess.

Right, so we have seen our first manufacturer pocketing the VRT difference here.

Because VRT is an "ad valorem" tax the distributor\dealers can get away with this because the amount of VRT to pay stays the same regardless of how cheaply you can source the car overseas.
    If VRT worked off invoice price then the distributors wouldn't be able to get away with this as everyone would import in preference to buying locally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

MYOB wrote: »

yes i agree, he was talking crap like this in the other tread,. unless you going to make a valid point SIR then why bother other than increasing your post count because theres no sense in your comments at all.,
    although i wouldnt go bashing the SIR civics and associating them with muppets (although i see the point.,lol), im a big honda fan and have had loads of fiats aswell,. come to think if it i wouldnt even dream of having a saab.,

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He's actually driving a Saab 9000, rather than the Civic SIR you might imagine.

Joint 1st with E92 as the most misleading name! (he drives an S40)
    LOL there are lots of people at that game!

Without having to think too far you drive an FTO but you sell Toyota's IIRC! vtec inspite of his username has a Fiat Punto according to the Fiat Punto thread I was expecting a VTEC Honda of some sort! And JHMEG in spite of his username doesn't have an EG, now a question for those who really know about cars, what does JHM stand for?(I know the answer btw, and should JHMEG come across this thread don't answer this question, don't ruin it for everyone else, please:)). He actually has an EJ.

Mine is definately the most deceptive I admit though;)!

LOL there are lots of people at that game!

Without having to think too far you drive an FTO but you sell Toyota's IIRC! vtec inspite of his username has a Fiat Punto according to the Fiat Punto thread I was expecting a VTEC Honda of some sort! And JHMEG in spite of his username doesn't have an EG, now a question for those who really know about cars, what does JHM stand for?(I know the answer btw, and should JHMEG come across this thread don't answer this question, don't ruin it for everyone else, please:)). He actually has an EJ.

Mine is definately the most deceptive I admit though;)!

i do have a vtec though, A 93 EG civic VTi, although not on the road at the moment, just have had puntos aswell.,;)
    have had a lot more honda's than fiats aswell., my favorate one being the 91 civic special edition., the hatch,. it has everything in it, air con,PS and all the bells and whistles and thats in 91!:eek:

oh, and japanese home market., JDM japanese domestic market etc.,;)

JHM is honda chassis number code for their cars.

colm_mcm had the right answer!

JHM is the first 3 digits of a Honda VIN. And EG/EH etc are the next 2/3, hence where we get a DC1, EH, etc from.

colm_mcm had the right answer!

JHM is the first 3 digits of a Honda VIN. And EG/EH etc are the next 2/3, hence where we get a DC1, EH, etc from.

true, thats where its used, but what does it mean?:p
    p1020065vl6.jpg

• Advertisement

vtec wrote: »
    true, thats where its used, but what does it mean?:p
    I'll let you find that one out:p! Do you expect me to know everything:D?

There is in fact more than one possibility for the beginning of a Honda VIN. JHM is what a Japanese built Honda begins with. 1HG is a US built Honda and 2HG is a Canadian built Honda. In fact it's all here.

so a JHM is a japanese built "japanese home market" honda.,lol., :p
    the americans have a load of codes that we dont use though, even on the same parts they can have different part numbers etc.,

vtec wrote: »
    so a JHM is a japanese built "japanese home market" honda.,lol., :p
    the americans have a load of codes that we dont use though, even on the same parts they can have different part numbers etc.,

Not really, a JHM is a Jap built Honda, and that's it! It doesn't matter which market it is for;). Any Irish spec Honda built in Japan would be a JHM as well. And actually, I see it's only cars, they seem to be saying that MPV's are actually JHL's even if they are Japanese built. I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but are the Swindon built Hondas JHM as well?

We still haven't officially found FIAT guilty or innocent of marketing a scam though....

This juror says guilty:D:D

did ya see their new bravo add? 1 million mile warrenty (or 4 years) i believe it is.,
    lol., you would need to drive for about 10 hours a day to get that kind of milage within 4 years.,lol
    its a kind of misleading way of saying unlimited milage warrenty like the hyundai i think ..,

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

Mailman wrote: »
    Right, so we have seen our first manufacturer pocketing the VRT difference here.

Because VRT is an "ad valorem" tax the distributor\dealers can get away with this because the amount of VRT to pay stays the same regardless of how cheaply you can source the car overseas.
    If VRT worked off invoice price then the distributors wouldn't be able to get away with this as everyone would import in preference to buying locally.

How are they pocketing the difference? The effects don't take effect till July, they have reduced their cars now. What can they be pocketing?

Motormouth wrote: »
    How are they pocketing the difference? The effects don't take effect till July, they have reduced their cars now. What can they be pocketing?

The prices will not drop further in July and the only reason they are dropping the price now is because Fiats are not selling. Look at the sales figures on simi.ie.
    I did my calculations above based on what price should drop to in July based on CO2 emissions of the Punto diesel.

Their market share has collapsed because they pitched the price of a Punto at nearly the same price as a Yaris. The Corsa which is a better car with the same FIAT diesel engines is as cheap. The new Fiesta is soon to be launched too.
    VRT reduction here is nothing more than a smoke screen to cover up atrocious sales.

Things have got so bad sales wise that Tractamotors in Blanchardstown had a sign outside saying that they'd service any make of car. If they are not selling, they're not servicing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

Mailman wrote: »
    The prices will not drop further in July and the only reason they are dropping the price now is because Fiats are not selling. Look at the sales figures on simi.ie.
    I did my calculations above based on what price should drop to in July based on CO2 emissions of the Punto diesel.

Their market share has collapsed because they pitched the price of a Punto at nearly the same price as a Yaris. The Corsa which is a better car with the same FIAT diesel engines is as cheap. The new Fiesta is soon to be launched too.
    VRT reduction here is nothing more than a smoke screen to cover up atrocious sales.

Things have got so bad sales wise that Tractamotors in Blanchardstown had a sign outside saying that they'd service any make of car. If they are not selling, they're not servicing either.

Did I ask about market share?
    I was wondering how you think they are pocketing something when they have decreased the price?

• Advertisement

Motormouth wrote: »
    Did I ask about market share?
    I was wondering how you think they are pocketing something when they have decreased the price?

Are you just looking to pick a fight?
    Did you read my previous posts to this thread where I worked through the drops in VRT charge and the drops in their RRP showing that the drop in RRP is less than drop in VRT. If drop in RRP is less than equal to drop in VRT then they are pocketing difference.

Advertisement