Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Fiat Punto has dropped it's price

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

Not at all, just don't understand your logic. Calculations aside, Had the VRT come down, and the price had not, then yes, they would be "pocketing" the difference but my point was that it (the vrt) has not come down and won't till July so they can't be pocketing anything, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Motormouth wrote: »
    Not at all, just don't understand your logic. Calculations aside, Had the VRT come down, and the price had not, then yes, they would be "pocketing" the difference but my point was that it (the vrt) has not come down and won't till July so they can't be pocketing anything, surely?
    You are being just as disingenuous as Fiat are. You know damn well that I was referring to July onward.
    If I am able to work out the changing VRT values then obviously I'm familiar enough with the topic to know when the different rates are taking effect as is most everyone else if for no other reason than it is stickied at the top of this sub-forum.

Distributors never like to adjust valuation of a car downward as it affects secondhand market. FIAT have found an "excuse" they can use to drop the price of a product that is priced uncompetitively now and still not pass on a large part of the difference in VRT rates from July onward.

I'm glad you have given me an opportunity to talk at great length about just how cynical Fiat Ireland have been in their pricing of this particular model. I hope it backfires horribly on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Im not a great fan of fiat as I had a rustbucket many years ago and I swore never again, but you cant blame them for trying, I remember they used a tactic some years ago called open book pricing which in theory promised bargain prices but in reality made no difference as your trade in was correspondingly reduced. The only way to buy these reduced cars i think is with a straight sale and then it might be worthwhile. I think the current punto and bravo look quite good actually and would probably fit the bill for quite a number of buyers if you were willing to keep them for a long time, but dont expect a good trade inprice for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

E92 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but are the Swindon built Hondas JHM as well?

Swindon-built Honda VINs start with SHH, if the VIN on my FK2 Civic is to be believed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mailman's point is very simple really: the "VRT reduced price" means that they lose whatever it is they are losing now but after July the VRT saving is not being fully passed onto the consumer, so they will be making more money than they do presently before any VRT cuts take place.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Motormouth wrote: »

but you will agree that based on their ads they are planning to pocket the difference after july?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Mailman's point is very simple really: the "VRT reduced price" means that they lose whatever it is they are losing now but after July the VRT saving is not being fully passed onto the consumer, so they will be making more money than they do presently before any VRT cuts take place.

But we don't know what they will be doing post-July!!

I'm with Motormouth on this....Fiat are CURRENTLY not pocketing anything as they are still (presumably) paying full VRT to Revenue.

We'll have to wait and see how prices change in July before we can make some of the statements that have been made so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Riskymove wrote: »
    But we don't know what they will be doing post-July!!

But we do! Read the ads. They said they were passing on the VRT savings in the Punto in January instead of July. The implication being that there will be no reduction in price in July.
    Stephen wrote:
    Swindon-built Honda VINs start with SHH, if the VIN on my FK2 Civic is to be believed
    +1!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

But we do! Read the ads.

A fair cop...how are they doing it though

are they actually lowrring the base price of the car thus incurring less VRT or are they just giving allowances to purchasers and paying full VRT as before?

On another point surely most cars will have some increase every year in the base price regardless of VRT changes. In this case we are looking at Fiat Punto present prices and applying the VRT change.

But will any car make still have the same base price as now in July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

JHM is the 1st three letters of the VIN of any Japan-built Honda car that was built for export. It doesn't stand for anything, altho some people think it stands for Japan Honda Motor Co.

Similarly as already mentioned 1HM is USA, 2HM is Canada and SHH is Swindon. AFAIK all these retain the 1st 3 letters regardless of whether they are exported from the country of manufacture or not.

There are other plants... Malaysia and Brazil I think. Dunno what their VINs start with. (Also a few JVs in developing countries)

VINs are a standard and I think the above may have been assigned to Honda by someone like ISO or SAE or someone.

@vtec, I had one of those in your pic, all 75 carburetted bhp of it. Mine was black tho. It's where I got the username from.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

JHMEG wrote: »
    @vtec, I had one of those in your pic, all 75 carburetted bhp of it. Mine was black tho. It's where I got the username from.

Ive had loads of them, I still have a jap 1.3 EL-X in black at the moment, An EG VTi and an EP1 2004.,
    someone thought i drive a punto earlier in one of these threads but ive had a lot more honda's than fiats.,lol.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

you've had loads of 1.3 DXs?! They're not that good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

loads of EG civics.,

Advertisement