Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating GPS

• 17-12-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Does a unit update on the fly with regards to new locations, facilities etc on already existing maps?

I bought a Sony one today with European maps installed, was 270 so decent price (online was not an option, so I'm talking specifically bricks and mortar prices). But I'm curious as to how the updating works - I obviously know you need to update via computer to get more maps on it, but not sure about updating already existing maps. I'm hoping it updates via the gps automatically.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I dont know what maps the sony uses but the maps dont update them selfs.

The map companies navtec /mapquest release updates every year .Navtec update is out now on some models ,well garmin ones anyway.I bought a Garmin this month which has older maps on it on the understanding i could register when the updates came out ,January I think.There is a thread on here about map updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah ok, thanks for the reply. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can download and upload fixes to the maps using TomTom's Mapshare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

robinph wrote: »
    You can download and upload fixes to the maps using TomTom's Mapshare.

Only if you have a TomTom :D
    This service only allows amendments to existing roads - change of name, change of direction in a one-way street, unblock a one-way street etc.

It does NOT provide a facility to add in new roads where none exist on the map:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So how does one update the maps on the device? Do I have to pay to update existing maps??

• Advertisement
Advertisement