Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #19 - Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Love this album, the only one to go on my MP3 player and not come off. Now also on my xbox. Truely great album, especially 1979 and the title track, abseloutely beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Amazing, brilliant, diverse piece of work, one of the albums that inspired me to pick upup and learn guitar and defined the 90s for me. I must dig this out and have a listen one of these days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Karl; didn't Temple of the dog win this week, 5 votes to Melloncollies 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Karl; didn't Temple of the dog win this week, 5 votes to Melloncollies 4

Timans voted twice, so his second vote wasn't counted. It was a draw, and in the case of a draw, I decide which gets album of the week. Vote for it again this week though, it's a popular vote, and I'm sure it'll win soon enough. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Timans voted twice, so his second vote wasn't counted. It was a draw, and in the case of a draw, I decide which gets album of the week. Vote for it again this week though, it's a popular vote, and I'm sure it'll win soon enough. ;)
    I did vote twice as I couldn't find my first vote. :D

I much prefer Siamese Dream by Pumpkins, not sure why.

Pumpkins! Woo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Timans wrote: »
    I did vote twice as I couldn't find my first vote. :D

I much prefer Siamese Dream by Pumpkins, not sure why.

Pumpkins! Woo.

Yeah I think I prefer Siamese Dream too, although Mellon Collie is top notch too. XYU - great song :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Mellon Collie is by far and away the best (and KH, there's a space between Mellon and Collie, can you edit the title pwetty pwease?). This was also album of the week on Alt/Indie if anyone feels like reading an old thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This brings back some memories! The first (and so far only) double tape album I ever bought :). What I loved about the album was that the heavier tracks - Bodies, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Zero, Where Boys Fear To Tread rock so well but at the same time the quieter tracks like Starlight, Galapagos and Farewell And Goodnight still fit the album. Unlike say, the Use Your Illusion albums from Guns N' Roses, you would be hard pressed to distill the Mellon Collie track list down to just one CDs worth of music.

Does anyone else remember good old Vagabonds in Galway especially when Bullet With Butterfly Wings came out as a single?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Definately one of the great albums. So easy to just sit back, put it on, and listen all the way through. So many great songs, tough to pick a favourite. Think I prefer the second disk though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

amazing album a definite classic,though i do prefer siamese dream for some reason ! Billy Corgan really is a genius,he might be a complete A**hole if you believe all the stories about him ,but you can't deny his songwriting prowess.
    people tend to forget how big they where in this part of the world,was anyone else at the infamous gig at the Point on the melon collie tour,when that poor girl lost her life, only time i have ever been frightened at a gig,the crowd was crazy the night,looking forward to seeing the latest incarnation of he pumpkins in Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Hope they play a few of the lesser-palyed songs from it in Feb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Incredible album, possibly my favourite album of all time,and my girlfriend bought me this on vinyl (triple LP, out of print since 96) for xmas, so I am well chuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

BleakestH wrote: »
    Incredible album, possibly my favourite album of all time,and my girlfriend bought me this on vinyl (triple LP, out of print since 96) for xmas, so I am well chuffed!

I've been looking for that for years, must have cost a small fortune (I've seen it go for several hundred dollars). Great girlfriend!

Advertisement