Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod and Rockbox questions.

• 17-12-2007 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I have a 30GB iPod video, bought this July (5G?) and have been reading about Rockbox with interest. Being of the "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is" persuasion, I'd like to give it a go. I like the idea of it being skinnable and being able to play less lossy formats, and saving me the hassle of transcoding all the wma gift grub stuff I've downloaded over the years.

So can anybody tell me:

Will I need to wipe my iPod to install Rockbox?

Are there any issues with dual booting Rockbox and iPod as I'll need to keep the original firmware for use with my Dension car kit?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the problem i can see you having is that for you to use your ipod in the denison (not sure if you need to use the original firmware with the denison) you need to have the songs loaded on to the ipod with itunes, as music that's already on the ipod isn't accessible through rockbox.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not sure about that cremo... back when I dabbled in rockbox on my own 5g I remember reading about a build or 2 that had a plugin which would read the music on the ipod loaded through itunes.... would need to read the rockbox forums to find out more though as I'm not positive how well it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

actually perhaps there is a plugin for rockbox to allow it to see the itunes loaded music, i actually wouldn't know because rockbox already does 110% more than what i want it to do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's certainly an excellent FW! without a doubt, been hoping they'd get it working on the D2 but that seems unlikely... RB+D2 would be amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

There's always an option to boot into the original firmware with rockbox. Just a case of holding down a particular button on startup.

You don't need to wipe your ipod. But I don't know if Rockbox will be able to read the music you transferred with iTunes as iPods store the files arseways.

Check out the FAQ http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodFAQ

• Advertisement

Advertisement