Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stitches while climbing

Options
  • 17-12-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Whenever I put in a hard prolonged effort, after a while I start to get stitches in my side. I thought first of all, I was eating too close to training, but even if I only eat 2 hours before training, and then only small snacks while on the bike, I get stitches if I have to climb hard or have to prolong an effort.
    Anyone got any suggestions how to prevent this?

Cheers
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lalorm wrote: »
    Whenever I put in a hard prolonged effort, after a while I start to get stitches in my side. I thought first of all, I was eating too close to training, but even if I only eat 2 hours before training, and then only small snacks while on the bike, I get stitches if I have to climb hard or have to prolong an effort.
    Anyone got any suggestions how to prevent this?

Cheers
    M.

It might be to do with your breathing, i.e. you are not getting enough oxygen into you. Try concentrate on your breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

are you standing on the pedals all the time when climbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

no, I usually sit in the saddle rather than stand. I only stand if I have to.

I thought it might be the cold air, however it also happens when I'm on the turbo trainer inside.

It could be my breathing. I usually try to regulate my breathing to the peddle strokes when a larger effort is involved. It's annoying when you know you have the energy for something, but stitches causes you to drop back and loose position.

Cheers
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i use to get stitches and stomach cramps from mixing my energy drink too strong, and eating too many energy bars on an empty stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Try to change the rhythm of your breathing against your cycling. I know in running if someone begins exhaling on the left foot, the advice is to swap feet i.e. begin exhaling on the right foot. It's possibly the same for cycling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

In the nose and out of the mouth, warm up first. most people dont breathe right, you fill your chest first via your diaphragm, then your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Dunno about cycling but when running it's important to learn to breathe from the diaphragm. It might sound like something you do naturally but it's actually quite counterintuitive until you get the hang of it. The method I was shown (as a runner) is to push out the stomach as you breathe in; again, it feels wrong, but do it for a while and it will eventually feel natural. When running, I find I only get stitches when I fall out of this habit temporarily.

(As for eliminating stitches, I've read that stopping and briefly heaving in your diaphragm with both hands works but I've never tried it. I've found that resuming the right breathing technique gets rid of it each time. Also, you might find heaving in the diaphragm annoying when cycling...)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Thanks for the suggestions guy's.

M.

Advertisement