Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cecil Nolan from The Grove to present special show on Dublin's Phantom 105.2

Options
  • 17-12-2007 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Cecil Nolan, known to generations as the DJ at The Grove Social Club, will present a special two hour show on Phantom 105.2 this St. Stephen’s Day, December 26th at 8PM.

Cecil Nolan or just Cecil, which he was more affectionately known as, started DJing in 1963. But it wasn’t until 1967 that he and his fellow members of the Belgrove Football Club decided to start their own social club, The Grove Social Club - taking its name from the venue in which it was founded. Deciding who was to DJ for this club didn’t pose much of a problem, as Cecil had already built up the reputation as “The Music Man” of Clontarf.

Left to his own devices and taste in music, Cecil had a free hand when it came to deciding what music he was going to play each night. “I played whatever I wanted because I knew there was a market out there for it and if it failed, well I didn’t care, at least I was enjoying myself,” recalls “The Music Man”.

Over the years the Grove moved home a number of times eventually relocating to the gym of St. Paul’s in Raheny. In 1997, Cecil hung up his headphones at this Northside institution with Nirvana’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ being the last song played by “The Music Man”.

Now ten years later, Cecil Nolan comes out of retirement and dusts down his vast vinyl collection for a special show on St. Stephens Day on Dublin’s Phantom 105.2. The entire show will be played on vinyl with a pair of turntables being especially installed for the occasion.

There will never be a disco quite like The Grove and you can relive the experience this Christmas on Phantom 105.2 (slow set included)!

Phantom 105.2, PPI Music station of the year, plays the best in independent and modern rock and is available on FM in Dublin, DAB Digital Radio and online at www.phantom.ie

Web links: http://www.thegrovesocialclub.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baby love

Why wasn't this advertised on the site homepage???? For a Dublin radio station, at least half the audience if not more will have heard of Cecil... it deserves just as much attention as other stuff on the homepage.... should have got way more promo on air .. if it's good enough for Dylan! :D

Advertisement