Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicators? Any one use them anymore!

Options
  • 17-12-2007 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Why oh why do people insist on not using indicators?
    Surely thats what causes so many accidents.

some fool nearly killed me on the quays (dublin)today when i was trying to cross the road! All because he didn't use that control (which takes 2seconds to hit) to tell me he was going to turn!!! :mad:

sorry rant over !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

never , ever assume because someone doesnt indicate that theyre not going to take a turn or whatever. theres some idiots on the roads in fairness, dont put your life in danger by assuming people know how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DubLegs wrote: »
    All because he didn't use that control (which takes 2 seconds to hit) to tell me he was going straight!!! :mad:
    Indicators to indicate you're going straight on? That's a new one on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Oh Sorry! I meant turn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The corollary also applies: just because the amber lights are blinking, doesn't mean that the driver is actually going to perform a manoeuvre.

The only thing you can say for certain when you see indicators in operation on another vehicle is that the indicators appear to be in working order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Aren't threads like this outlawed here under the Motors charter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Annoys the living **** out of me to be honest. Old men are the worst culprits. Have in the past suggested to people that they are there for a reason and not decoration.

Right up there with not acknowledging the fact that someone has gone out of their way to let you out/in to traffic. Cue women and older men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i wonder if you had walked across the road and got hit, could you sue the driver for not using indicators?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

What annoys me more is when people wait untill they are already practically turning to use the indicators :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Was the car a BMW?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

or an Octavia

fog lights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You mean that some cars have actually got them? I always assumed that the bulbs were taken out when they were imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whenever the cars over-zealous self cancelling doesn't turn them off about 1/10th of the way through a curve/round a roundabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Think they are trying to save on there battery. Everywhere I drive in Ireland people dont use them. I think the only one I see using them are L drivers.
    What annoy me even more is people that expect you to clear a path once they indicate and proceed to beep and flash if you dont comply.

Nearly dissapeared under a bus last week-end driving up the M1.
    Was in the overtaking lane just about to pass when it swerved out in front without any indication. Had to jam on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Indicators?

Does any one even stop for traffic lights? Or is that another "luxuary" these days?

Nearly got hit by some prat last week in a Golf when I was crossing the road with a "green man" on the lights.

Eejit. I was very luck I was taking my time:there were two big vans on my side of the road blocking my view and a bus lane on the other side of them, so I decided to take it slow in case some twit decided to speed up the bus lane.

Lucky for me:mad:.

E92 wrote: »
    Aren't threads like this outlawed here under the Motors charter?

My apologies i didn't note this on the charter!
    Sorry Sorry.

If a Mod is reading - please close this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My apologies i didn't note this on the charter!
    Sorry Sorry.

If a Mod is reading - please close this thread!

They're taking the urine, ignore them.

Now tell me this, did the car have its fog lights on ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I assume you were using a pedestrian crossing? :D

:o But em ahem of course. I was extremely careful and watchful!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I assume the scenario the OP is referring to is when you're walking along a footpath that crosses a large number of quiet side roads. If you had to stop at every sideroad and wait for traffic on the main road to clear in case some idiot decides to turn into the side road without looking, indicating or slowing down, then you'd spend a very long time trying to get anywhere. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have your wits about you when walking across the sideroad. I've had to jump out of the way of quite a few muppets in my time. Of course, you're not even guaranteed safety on the footpath itself these days...
    smemon wrote: »
    i wonder if you had walked across the road and got hit, could you sue the driver for not using indicators?

You could sue him even if he was using indicators. A pedestrian has automatic right of way (unless there's a crossing within a few metres and he/she doesn't cross at the correct point, or crosses when the man is red).

Of course, even if the pedestrian was the muppet and ran across the road when the man was red, the motorist would still get the blame. Irish courts operate a pro-moron policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

(which takes 2seconds to hit)

Not even. Ive only started driving in the past couple of months and last night an oncoming taxi indicated left, but spotted a fare and veered right across my path. I jammed on, sat on the horn and got the usual single finger salute and the 'f**kin learner' shouted at me. but i suppose taxi men are exempt from all rules of the road, as ive learnt from cycle commuting in and out of dublin for 5 years now.

you should post this in the cycling forum too;), you;ll get plenty of support there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

All that flashing - it wears out the bulbs

blackbox wrote: »
    All that flashing - it wears out the bulbs

Thats just ridiculous!

I take it ur one of the ones to not indicate, then blame someone else if something happens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thats just ridiculous!

I take it ur one of the ones to not indicate, then blame someone else if something happens!
    www.dictionary.com

Look up 'sarcasm'.

:pMagicmarker - noted but im only just learning to pick up on the tone/sarcasim of posts (me being a newbie and all!), so mis-interpreted it.

Advertisement