Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone been fined?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody here has been fined for driving on your own on a 1st or 3rd provisional since they brought in the new rules? Or more to the point, anyone been stopped, asked for licence, and not been fined? Have been a very good little boy so far and only drove with accompanied, but failed my test today and am not so bothered anymore. Will drive on my own if I can get away with it. Any info/hearsay/myths are welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It was never legal to drive unaccompanied on anything but 2nd provisional, nothing to do with new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I know. But it was never enforced. Was stopped many times on my own and they never said anything. Part of the new rules was that they were going to start enforcing it. Otherwise no point in taking away the ability to drive unaccompanied on second provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    I know. But it was never enforced. Was stopped many times on my own and they never said anything. Part of the new rules was that they were going to start enforcing it. Otherwise no point in taking away the ability to drive unaccompanied on second provisional.
    #

the line from the guards was that they enforce all rules equally .... so there really was no change for 1st and 3rd....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jhegarty wrote:
    the line from the guards was that they enforce all rules equally

Or not at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I met a check point and they said nothing to me about being on my own on a first provisional. All going well that wont be a problem after tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I drove for the good part of 3 months with out plates, up and down the M4, round dublin and home. Never stopped by a guard. Hang my head in shame :( NOT..... Look don't panic. If you get stopped so be it. Just go get the test and then you'll never have to worry about it again (like I did).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Opps, i didnt see this thread and jsut started a new one. i got caught last night (3rd provisional, unaccompanied, no L-Plates). she started giving out to me. i told her if she could get me a test date, i would do my test no problem. I told her that my car was insured, taxed, NCT'ed and i had valid licence. I told her how long i am waiting for my test date and that it was fair that i should be penalised because the system is broken.

she waved me on

but what should she have done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

irishbird wrote: »
    but what should she have done ?
    She acted perfectly correctly. She could have had you fined and given you points if she wanted, but that's at her discresion. Unless you are doing something you shouldn't (ie speeding) they don't seem to have any interest in enforcing until the waiting times are down.

Just in case, carry a confirmation letter from the RSA to state that you have applied for the test.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

how many points?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

irishbird wrote: »
    i got caught last night (3rd provisional, unaccompanied, no L-Plates). she started giving out to me. i told her if she could get me a test date, i would do my test no problem.
    Have you done a test previously?

I'd be interested to know how the waiting list prevented you from displaying 'L' plates. :confused:
    irishbird wrote:
    i had valid licence
    You were driving beyond the limits of your provisional licence and it could be argued therefore that it was not valid.

When you apply for a Provisional Licence you are required to sign a declaration that you are familiar with the Rules of the Road.

Unless you are doing something you shouldn't
    ...like driving unaccompanied and not displaying 'L' plates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ive been stopped countless times in the last few weeks. They are always right outside my estate checking the front window disks. Sometimes they even say good morning, but most of the time they just look really bored. Never mention anything about my "L" plate when I'm driving on my own. I think you were fined for crossing the line too far. You probably could of gotten away with a warning if you had the plates up, but I'm just blurting wishful thoughts!

I seen an L driver today with three kids in the car. She was doing a lot of swerving onto the other side of the road and done a bit of cutting out too. Then she was leaning back into the rear seats talking to her kids when I had to beep my horn to let her know she was half on the path with oncoming pedestrians. I'm a pretty patient guy and understand that some L drivers are still waiting on their tests but need to drive. But in this case, I'd fully support banning her from driving for a good while. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Just in case, carry a confirmation letter from the RSA to state that you have applied for the test.

Exactly, that is what I'm doing at the moment......Just in case!

Advertisement