Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading laptop memory...

Options
  • 17-12-2007 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey all,

Few quick questions somebody may be able to help me with. I'm rubbish at this kind of thing and ye fine folks seem to know whats what :D

Sick of my laptop (dell inpiron6000) being so slow, and i'm after defragmenting it for the last time. I want to get more RAM for it.

Its 512mb at the moment. I can get 1gb (1x1gb) for 30usd from memoryx.net. (Is that too cheap/expensive?, & is that a reputable website?)
    Is it feasible to have memory cards of different sizes in the same machine? (ie. my existing 512mb with a 1gb beside it) Or does it have to be 2 x 512mb?

Is extra RAM easy to install yourself?

Dispense some wisdom, gents!

Rory

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rorymagory wrote: »
    Its 512mb at the moment. I can get 1gb (1x1gb) for 30usd from memoryx.net. (Is that too cheap/expensive?, & is that a reputable website?)

I've never heard of them but a 1GB stick is around €30 over on shop4memory.ie so that sounds about right.

Is it feasible to have memory cards of different sizes in the same machine? (ie. my existing 512mb with a 1gb beside it) Or does it have to be 2 x 512mb?

Having two different sticks in your laptop will work fine.

Is extra RAM easy to install yourself?

It's generally quite easy to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Sound man, AC!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got 2 1GB slots for about €60 incl p&p from memoryc.com.
    They're Irish too so delivery is fast (1/2 working days) andd I'd recomend them. You can select your model of laptop if your unsure about which memory to buy as there are different types.

Advertisement