Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Trashy Novel?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Because we can't be intellectuals all the time!

What do you read as a guilty pleasure? Marian Keyes? James Patterson? ...or even.... Cecilia Ahern?

Go on, admit it, you'll feel better!

I like a bit of Michael Crichton occasionally, stems from a childhood obsession with books and dinosaurs, read Jurassic Park when I was about 7.

And I'm entirely willing to read Stephen King, I mean the books are all identical (excluding the wonderful dark tower series) but the man can write compellingly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Stephen King-although many of his short stories are definately not pulpy trash.

Dean Koontz and Micheal Layman for Horror, and I went through a phase of Wilbur Smith when I was in my teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I enjoyed the two Dan Brown books I read, "Angels and Demons" and "The Da Vinci Code".

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Really enjoyed The Da Vinci Code (:o), also Stephen King.
    Rereading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett at the moment. Trash-tastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Am completely addicted to Marian Keyes - her books are hilarious!! "Sushi for Beginners" is probably my favourite. Love Sarah Webb's books as well, "Three times a lady" is fab!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Without a doubt - Clive Cussler!

I'm under no illusion as to how predicable, repetitive, and cheesy they are but I just love reading them when I'm need in lowbrow entertainment. Besides, there's a lot of interesting stuff about seafaring, when Pitt's not off scoring the same red-haired green-eyed minx that turns up in every book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Martin Amis - Yellow Dog
    unadulterated nonsense like most of Amis' work , still love the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I like to indulge in Sue Townsend novels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Shaun Hutson-pure trashy and EXTREMLY graphic and nasty horrors.

Love em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

All of Jilly Cooper's novels - pure escapism.

Advertisement