Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone contracts

• 17-12-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

I am just after noticing that Vodafone now have 18 month contracts. But what I cannot figure out is why anyone would opt for one, as there does not appear to be any benefits to it, same price on the phones, and plans. Can anyone explain this to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

There used to be incentives such as free insurance.

Now main draw is a guaranteed upgrade after the 18 month term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

with o2 you get 25% extra minutes,not worth it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

To be honest its something it looks like they've imported from the UK. There an 18th contract ensures you get a top of the range handset for free on your upgrade (unheard of here, you pay silly prices for old handsets that no other consumers in europe would be stupid enough to take) and stay with the network. Normally there are offers as well, cash back, a free WII, free ps3 - just check the carphonewarehouse uk website. Still comwreck thinks we're getting good value for money and are competitive, still they've never let the facts spoil the hype......:rolleyes:

With an 18 month irish contract your just setting yourself up to be screwed. If you want a better deal, ring up towards the end of your contract and ask "so what do I have to do to move networks........."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You will also notice that with Vodafones new online Perfect Choice plans, you will get an axtra 20% mins & texts. But ,beware, you cannot carry over unused minutes, similar to Meteor. O2 have the better options imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have noticed that with the phones, that we seem to get mainly outdated products that are no longer the hot item in the UK, as with three you can see that they just added the LG shine this week, where it has been out in the uk for months. I am waiting for the nokia 6500 to appear on Three, as it is not worth the price on O2, can almost get it sim free for that price, with no contract. Anyways I want to stick with Three as they offer the best prices, as I get 100 mins an 100 texts for under 23 euro at the moment with the 10% discount I got last year to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CodedFire

Ok im sick to deat h of this constant whining so im going to clear up some issues and hopefully it will stop the crying!

Use some common sense here guys! Uk operators sell their services to 3 countries and Northern Ireland. This means they have far more customers than their irish counterparts. What does this mean? They have more buying power where handsets are concerned.

This means that the irish networks could buy in handsets the same time as uk providers but would have to charge alot more. People wouldn't buy the phones at such high prices so the irish networks buy them after the bulk prices have fallen.

The other point to make is you are all just greedy! Im sure you are well aware that you buy your handsets at reduced prices. I think this is the single biggest mistake mobile operators have made! How many of you have rang sky after 12 months and said " Ive order alot of movies and my bills are quite high, i want a free television" im guess nobody. And don't dare tell me it is not the same. Sky offer a service that is depenedent on a third party piece of hardware. This is exactly how mobile operaters work.

On the subject of 18 month agreements, they are tailored for low spenders. If you want an upgrade of any MO you must be with them for a period of time and in that period you must spend so much. About 1000 euros in 12 months by my reckoning. Now if you only spend 20 a month you have a grand total of 240. This means you are not getting an upgrade for a good few years. With an 18 month contract you are made eligible as soon as your contract ends. Im my opinion it is a great service for people who have a low spend. If you were put on an 18 month contract and you spend ove 1000 in 12 months that is your on fault. People whine so much about these agreement yet how many actually read them before signing them!

So all in all rather than complaining about services you refuse to take the time to learn about how about this. Move to the uk, they give you a free wii. Better yet how about partitioning the goverment to make us part of the uk then we will all get better prices.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

CodedFire wrote: »
    Ok im sick to deat h of this constant whining so im going to clear up some issues and hopefully it will stop the crying!
    <snip>.

Oh, you are going to last long around here. :D

Your not a mobile phone operator employee, by any chance are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CodedFire

I can see that alright! I cant understand why people whine before checking the facts. No im a desk jockey! I just happen to read about things before i sign up for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

O2 have the better options imho.

i think there is little or no difference between the 3 main networks of vodafone, o2 and meteor now. really at the end of the day it is down to personal usage and choice. most of them offer free mins and free text etc i think people need to look at their lifestyle and look at how they use their mobile on a day-to-day benefit. what suits one may not suit another. also look at their phonebook and see who they call most frequently and on what network they are.

just my 2-cents!

Advertisement