Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware usb key loggers

Options
  • 17-12-2007 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anybody know of any shops in Dublin (or surrounding area), that sell hardware usb keyloggers / keystroke loggers ??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As I posted on security
    me wrote:
    yes

what is the intended use ?

A request from a new poster for hardware that may have an illegal use is not a security discussion, which is what this thread is here for. An posting the same question on more than one forum is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭xareik

As I posted on security
    My computer is becoming quite tempermental of late, and has crashed twice in the last 8 months. I don't have a clue what is causing it to crash and i don't want to lose anymore of my work! As i don't have the money to invest in a new pc, i thought buying a key logger would be a good stop-gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

xareik wrote: »
    My computer is becoming quite tempermental of late, and has crashed twice in the last 8 months. I don't have a clue what is causing it to crash and i don't want to lose anymore of my work! As i don't have the money to invest in a new pc, i thought buying a key logger would be a good stop-gap.

Worst story ever!

2 crashes in 8months? thats good going for Windows.

You've jumped to a solution for a problem that you haven't even diagnosed....

How do you think a keylogger will solve your problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

My computer crashed twice in the last 8 months. I don't want to lose anymore of my work! .

If that's all that concerns you? why don't you run a scheduled backup?

There are many free programs available to do that.

Sure go on, tell us why you really want it?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I don't have a clue what is causing it to crash and i don't want to lose anymore of my work! As i don't have the money to invest in a new pc, i thought buying a key logger would be a good stop-gap.
    You are kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Why not buy a USB flashdrive and back up your files as you go along? Or if you have greater data storage needs, a large external harddrive?

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote: »
    Worst story ever!

2 crashes in 8months? thats good going for Windows.

You've jumped to a solution for a problem that you haven't even diagnosed....

How do you think a keylogger will solve your problem ?
    As i stated before, it's not intended to be a solution, just a stop-gap.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

A Key logger Is Something that Monitors the Keystrokes

EG.

The Above message would ahve been logged, not whats going on in the background.

The Suggestion would be to get a USB Hard disc (there going pretty cheep nowadays, and Use it to store what you want to save, then Format tyour PC and Do a Fresh install.

If you have any other issues, Feel free to ask

You are kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Why not buy a USB flashdrive and back up your files as you go along? Or if you have greater data storage needs, a large external harddrive?
    Simple answer to your question is that flash-drives or external hard-drives would be more hassle.

As opposed to a key logger which i could leave plugged into the back of my pc and not have to bother with unless my computer crashes again !

A Key logger Is Something that Monitors the Keystrokes

EG.

The Above message would ahve been logged, not whats going on in the background.

The Suggestion would be to get a USB Hard disc (there going pretty cheep nowadays, and Use it to store what you want to save, then Format tyour PC and Do a Fresh install.

If you have any other issues, Feel free to ask
    Actually a key logger would save anything i typed automatically, without me having to bother with it.

The vast majority of my work would be typed, and as such a key logger suits my needs better than flash drives.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The mind boggles....

• Advertisement

The mind boggles....
    It's very simple really, i want my work backed up but i don't want the hassle of having to do it my self !

A key logger does exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

And then when you want to restore everything you "lost", you will see a load of "this is what i was typ<BS><BS><BS>trying to write". So it will take you hours to delete all the backspaces you typed, never mind not knowing what cell you were typing in in the likes of excel, or what paragraph of text you deleted in word. You're having a laugh. Having used key logging software myself before, you would not use it to restore days/weeks/months worth of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Fix a camera do your shoulder, and get it to take a snapshot every 5seconds, you could then use OCR software to recover your work!!!!!

Yup, makes as much sense.

Yep! put one of these in the attic & use it to backup all your work.

ibm3501ton5mbharddisk19ou8.jpg

IBM 350 1 Ton 5mb Harddisk-1956

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So i'm guessing nobody knows of any shops ?? (thats the reason i posted !)

OK, you can find all the Info you need [URL="[URL=http://www.doogle.org/]HERE[/URL]"][/url]HERE

;)

-

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've already replied yes on two threads.So if you could read / remember you would not have had to guess if anyone knows of any shops. Of course a key logger would not help you read stuff.

anyone who can't locate a key logger or even think of a good excuse to use one couldn't be trusted with one

I've already replied yes on two threads.So if you could read / remember you would not have had to guess if anyone knows of any shops. Of course a key logger would not help you read stuff.

anyone who can't locate a key logger or even think of a good excuse to use one couldn't be trusted with one
    I'm well aware of what you said, and i'm also aware of the fact that they are freely available on the web.

I don't know why you feel the need to be so cynical (maybe thats just your nature), but if you don't want / can't help me then maybe you should stop wasting your time replying to my posts and go post something constructive.

Ironically i'm probably wasting my time trying to reason with you !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I would think you are. What you're proposing is the most ridiculously implausible reason for needing a keylogger I've ever heard. You might as well go on the Motors forum and ask if anyone knows how to break into a <insert "your" car model here, no, really, I do own one> because you locked your keys in it while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Where are they available on the net?

• Advertisement

Where are they available on the net?

OMG! Haven't you ever heard of Google? :eek:

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

What a lame excuse for use of a keylogger, some companys may use these track suspected systems abuse by empoyees.

Otherwise they are used to invade other peoples privacy, I think we all suspect the latter in this case!

OMG! Haven't you ever heard of Google? :eek:

-
    no whats that?

Was just wondering are they available freely?

no whats that?

Oh that google thing is handy, I see they are, no need to answer that

no whats that?

No, you have to pay for them :p

-

no whats that?

no , you have to pay :rolleyes:

It's a device that has few legal/ethical uses unless every user has been told that it's in use.

I wouldn't worry about being arrested for using one, because the first person to catch you will probably get violent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hi.... er... my name's bob.

i need a keylogger because erm... my cat ate my fish and he keeps putting birds in my room. so if i plug a keylogger in my computer i can stop him.
    its a quick fix really until i buy a new turtle.

p.s im really a perv and want my gf's passwords. :/

keyloggers are dangerous. and can cause you your marraige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

OP: ctrl+S is your friend. Make it your every 20th keystroke in whatever application you're entering data into. If you fear catastrophic PC failure, then buy a flashdrive, 1gb will be more than enough for a "stop gap", set it so that all documents/spreadhseets/whatever are saved to there, hit ctrl+S and if you can't be bothered naming the file, let windows just give it an incremental tag and sort it out when you're done.

Semi-OT; I seem to be having great difficulty accessing my money at the local bank brach...I was wondering does anyone know where I might buy a balaclava and a sawnoff shotgun. Thanks in advance...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement