Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best sites for reviewing games?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi

Any recommendations for sites that give good reviews on ps, wii, xbox games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Metacritic all the way, MadDad. For each game, it gives an average of all main game sites that reviewed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

metacritic and gamespot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

metacritic and gamespot

Gamespot tend not to lynch games that deserve criticism...

I would've said Eurogamer until recently, but the 10/10 for Halo 3 and 7/10 for Resident Evil 4 Wii edition seems a bit odd. I find that I just don't agree with them as much these days as I used to. (Mass Effect, Naruto and Assassin's Creed being 3 of the most recent scores that I didn't quite agree on)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

tman wrote: »
    Gamespot tend not to lynch games that deserve criticism...

I would've said Eurogamer until recently, but the 10/10 for Halo 3 and 7/10 for Resident Evil 4 Wii edition seems a bit odd. I find that I just don't agree with them as much these days as I used to. (Mass Effect, Naruto and Assassin's Creed being 3 of the most recent scores that I didn't quite agree on)

Definitely agree with that. Used to swear by Eurogamer but over the last few months I seem to constantly find myself saying '...really?' when I see the score at the end of the review.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I have to agree on the Eurogamer thing, their reviews have been dodgy recently but I'd still trust them ahead of most of the American sites, at least I'd trust the text of the reviews more than the scores.

By far the best reviews are the Zero Punctuation ones, aside from being brilliantly entertaining they've been bang on about every game so far - see Orange Box, Halo, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock. Pity he only has time to review a limited selection of games, especially when they're so often lower quality games obviously chosen for the entertainment value of ripping them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Videogamecritic.com. Reviews older consoles and games, pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MadDad

Thanks for that lads, liked metacritic will give the others a look over

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I quite like Gametrailers for reviews. They only do some of the bigger games, but they are good.

Without question though, the best reviewer is Yahtzee, on Zero Punctuation site (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation). I literally fell off my seat during the Orange Box (and specifically Portal) review. Everyone watch them all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Stop bitching about the scores -- read the reviews, people!

Oh, and Wednesday is now officially Zero-Punctuation-Day.

ps: Yahtzee doesn't use scores!

• Advertisement
Advertisement