Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator Belt, Help plesase

Options
  • 17-12-2007 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

I posted last week that my alternator belt was squealing and after some though, i figured i'd wait till after xmas before fixing it.
    Well it snapped tonight, about 2 miles from home, so not to bad.
    I have checked the battery and there is 11.2v left in it.
    My question is, will the car get me 3 miles, maybe 7 minute journey, to the garage?
    The cars a Toyota MR 2 1995, so it has EFI.
    any help would be great.
    Also, any idea how much labor costs are for fitting a new belt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It should be fine during daylight.

Labour for fitting a fanbelt should be something like 10 - 15 mins tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Its down a good bit at 11.2 , especially since its going to be cold tonight and the start in the morning , the EFI takes a good bit to run it with high pressure pump too. Better idea to charge it tonight ( or stick it in a car with a working charging system and take it for a drive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Senna wrote: »
    I posted last week that my alternator belt was squealing and after some though, i figured i'd wait till after xmas before fixing it.
    Well it snapped tonight, about 2 miles from home, so not to bad.
    I have checked the battery and there is 11.2v left in it.
    My question is, will the car get me 3 miles, maybe 7 minute journey, to the garage?
    The cars a Toyota MR 2 1995, so it has EFI.
    any help would be great.
    Also, any idea how much labor costs are for fitting a new belt?

Yeah, drive down there during the day, and if your stressing over it, get a tow down.
    Labour might take an hour as those mid engined (is it mid engined?) cars can be tricky to access alternators etc. Having said that, 1 hour should do it, maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

just out having a look at it now, pulled the old belt out, its in a sorry state.
    Yes its mid engined so its not straight forward, but if the car was up on a lift it shouldn't be much of a problem. Only thing is the air-con belt is in front of the alternator belt, so it will have to come off too.
    I've realised theirs a small garage only 2 minutes away, so i'm sure i'll get there. The other garage was on the other side of town and knowing my luck, it would have died on main street:D
    will check the battery in the morning and if its below 11v, i'll stick it in another car for a drive.
    cheers all.

Advertisement