Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp mobo replace, licensing?

• 17-12-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Feel free to flame or redirect what must be a common question, if I upgrade my mobo and cpu, what's the story with xp installation?
    I've got an oem install of xp (my retail hd went kaput and I didn't have the installation media so bought a new one + oem license).
    Do I need to do a fresh install (I have spare hd) and import my data, or can I just boot up on my current main hd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

xp will detect new hardware added.
    and as a security feature, it will ask for the windows cd.

its possible you "might" need to do a clean install.

but probably not. just have your cd handy when you turn it on, and i think you need to do a windows repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

If you have an OEM version of XP and you installed it once to a mobo then afaik that's it.. You will need a new version for the new mobo. OEM OSs only install to one mobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I've done it a few times. Windows will detect the new hardware and ask you to activate it again (pending on version ofc). You will have to call MS or activate it online. Personally I always call it in as online activation never works for me. By phone you will get one of those robot thingys asking you for the numbers Windows generates. All you have to do is follow the instructions tell it you had to replace the motherboard then you get your activation number.

If it's a corp version it will not require activation. But as you've said yours is OEM.

Now. My advice is to do a clean install anyway because when you change your mainboard and install all the new drivers your clogging the registry up with loads of old garbage.

Hope it helps.

Edit ::

Just an FYI if your HDD (lets say Dell for example) goes tits up, you can request OEM CD's to be sent to you for free as long as you have a license it shouldn't be a problem. Did it a few times with Dell and HP machines for customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you have an OEM version of XP and you installed it once to a mobo then afaik that's it.. You will need a new version for the new mobo. OEM OSs only install to one mobo.

Technically correct but MS will reactivate it by phone.

A new MB installation will require re-activation without doubt.
    1. Try the online activation. It will fail.
    then
    2. Select 'activate by phone', choose Ireland and ring the free phone number. Go through the automated activation on the phone. It will fail that aswell.
    then
    3. You'll be put through to a human and you'll be asked a couple of questions.
    Has it been activated before? Yes
    Is it installed on more than 1 pc? No
    Reason for re-activation? Hardware failure.

You'll then be given the activation code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Technically correct but MS will reactivate it by phone.

Handy to know, nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Make sure you have the license handy, though. It took me quite a while on hold, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Donny5 wrote: »
    Make sure you have the license handy, though. It took me quite a while on hold, too.

If you were asked for the licence code and were waiting on hold, you rang the wrong number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If its' XP pro, forget a repair install. Also, if you try and boot and the new mobo has different HD controller where the boot drive is mounted, it most likely wont boot windows at all.

ghostwalker is really what you should use with either XP home or pro. It resets whats called the SID enabling you to boot the OS without major drama. No need to worry about rolled back updates, broken apps etc etc.

Then just call MS if you need to activate over the phone, changing the key/COA to the new one and activating online may be enough tho....

Also remember that your OS has not been activated before, as you just bought a licence which is now in effect.

/edit, you could just use ghostwalker to run your existing licence which may or may not be legit after a motherboard change. Generally its okay, its blatant piracy that M$ have a major issue with.

Advertisement