Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Trading

Options
  • 17-12-2007 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it is legal to buy and sell cars in a private estate? A neighbour of mine is constantly buying crap cars and selling them on. They are usually UK cars (I presume from NI).

Our parking bay at the end of the estate constantly has bangers taking up spaces. He also sometimes leaves damaged parts on the grass beside the bay.

I've also had people knocking on my door looking for him as he owes people money.

Is there anything I can do? He is just taking the p*ss at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm very sure this is very very illegal. No VRT or anything I presume? Ther cars probably aren't even being registered with the new owners?

Don't worry the CAB and the Guards will be paying a visit to your friend before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

dubmick wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is legal to buy and sell cars in a private estate? A neighbour of mine is constantly buying crap cars and selling them on. They are usually UK cars (I presume from NI).

Our parking bay at the end of the estate constantly has bangers taking up spaces. He also sometimes leaves damaged parts on the grass beside the bay.

I've also had people knocking on my door looking for him as he owes people money.

I understand your fustration. Crap neighbours are an ordeal to put up with. previous neighbours of mine used to run a crack house at the weekends. And the Guards, well they were fooking useless in tackling them.

anyways, in his case its not illegal for him or anoyne to run a business from his home but if the cars are all NI reg or UK reg, I doubt hes a tax registered (with the revenue) dealer and must ensure VRT is paid on the cars wheather they are for sale or not. Thats the law as I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Report him to the local council.
    If the turnover is high enough he may get a bill for rates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There is a proviso for this, and it escapes me. I think if an individual sells more than 6 cars a year they have to register with the Revenue as a trader. IIRC that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

New law brought in early this year to tackle this. Check it out. Gardas are unless am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ned78 wrote: »
    There is a proviso for this, and it escapes me. I think if an individual sells more than 6 cars a year they have to register with the Revenue as a trader. IIRC that is!
    Think it may be three cars?

Only a registered motor dealer (registered with Revenue that is) can keep imported cars for sale without registering them first.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Isn't it illegal to sell a car in Ireland that's foreign reg'd?? I heard this but all you have to do is look on carzone to find hundreds on private sales with UK regs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cantdecide wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal to sell a car in Ireland that's foreign reg'd?? I heard this but all you have to do is look on carzone to find hundreds on private sales with UK regs
    See my post above.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is he Italian?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

No but he is not Irish.

Thanks for all the info lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The revenue might be interested to hear. I'm presuming the foreign registered cars are never transferred into his name, he just gets the V5 from the previous owner and passes that onto the person he sells to. He probably sources UK reg'd cars deliberately to allow him to do this and not raise any suspicions by having his name appear on registration forms in shannon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1 sale is enough to potentially constitute trading for the purposes of The Revenue. This has been argued out (at length) before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

looks like he has sold his latest banger.

He left the old bonnet in the parking bay. Nice of him :rolleyes:

Advertisement