Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for the catch

Options
  • 17-12-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Howdy,

I've just seen a car that I'm very interested in. My concern is that it's going for 26K, which is about 7K cheaper than all the other ones of it's kind. I ran the plates with the Gardai, and it's not stolen. I did a cartell.ie on it and there's no finance outstanding. I have asked the seller for the Chassis number, and am planning on getting a mechanic friend to check it out.

This probably sounds a little over paranoid, but i can't help be suspicious. The owner seems nice enough, but when I saw the car it was his 'brother in law' that showed it to me.

Can anyone recommend any further checks that can be done to allay my fears?

Thanks,

Jenko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Got a link or anything to the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Your going the right way around it anyway. if all those turn out fine, you may have a bargain.
    It seems like the second-hand car market has been in a rut this last few months, it could be someone that just needs the money now and is willing to take a price cut.
    If you can meet the previous owner, it may put your mind at ease, but i've had my brother show cars when i haven't been able.

Caution is always a good idea with any purchase that seem to good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Senna wrote: »
    It seems like the second-hand car market has been in a rut this last few months, it could be someone that just needs the money now and is willing to take a price cut.

I bought a 2nd hand car recently and everyone i talked to was having trouble selling.. seems to be a downturn in the car market at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

sometimes something small could have went wrong with the car that he doesnt want the hassle of going to the garage with or that the garage cant find out whats wrong with it and the owner just wants to get shut of it thinking theyve got a major problem on theyre hands

got my car for 2k less than asking price because the engine sounded wrecked......turned out they had the wrong air filter in it and the plugs had NEVER been changed although it had regularily been serviced

you could be just lucky.....as the previous poster said, do get checked just in case though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

What car is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My Dad ended up getting his company car when he left his job earlier this year. it was a 1 year old 318D which weren't everywhere like they are now.

The company had totally undervalued it and my dad needed the cash to get his new business set up. Again, it was at least 6k less than any other but still a nice earner compared to taking the cash alternative. The buyers were totally freaked because we met halfway cork and wexford, our respective hometowns, I was showing them someone elses car AND it was still registered to the company at the time:rolleyes:. Totally understandably freaked.

I insisted they contact the company's accountant and when they were happiuer and decided to take it, I insisted they come to the house on the day of collection where they met me Da. Everything was hunky dory and it was a genuine bargain so yes, they are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If it's a jeep make sure it's not a commercial with seats fitted and no VRT paid, lots of them floating about on the cheap with the customs in hot pursuit.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When you get the chassis number maybe do a HPI check to make sure there aren't any issues from over in the UK. Also try and get them to send a picture of the chassis number not just a number, making sure that some part of the car is in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Get an AA or similar inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

If you do all the checks i would say go for it, maybe offer to pay off any finance he has on it with the €26k you are giving him, if it applies.

I had to sell my brothers car for him a few years ago, he emigrated to Australia and left it with me to sell, all he wanted was a quick sale to pay off the finance company, sold it to a guy for 3k less than same model and year elsewhere.

That guy was VERY trusting, no backround checks, testdrove it and wrote ME a cheque for €15k, paperwork was in the brothers name ! I explained i was lodging the money in my account first and then paying off the outstanding finance when the cheque cleared.

Then again, i have a very honest face..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Jenko

Thanks for all the replies folks, and some good advice there. I'm still waiting for the Chassis number, and if I don't get it I'll know something dodgy is going on.

I had a very bad experience years ago from a garage, where I was sold a lemon and were it not for a ridiculous stroke of good luck at the last minute i would have been down 15K (all borrowed!) and without a car. Once bitten and all that...

Advertisement