Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks, but no thanks

• 17-12-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Ok, I was out last Saturday having a great night, chatting to anyone passing. Unfortunately, two guys (was talking to them at different times) thought I was into them because I was talking to them, and eventually got pi*sed off because I wouldn't give them my phone number. Cue a deathstare from one, and insults from the other which, needless to say, put a bit of a dampener on the night :(
    I don't want to be rude (as I don't want to add fuel to the 'Irish women are b*tches' inferno!). So what do you do when the whole 'Can I have your number?' bit comes up? Any nice one-liners to deflect bad feeling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Oh sorry I have a boyfriend but thanks anyway.

Only thing that works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I just broke up with someone and I'm not really ready to start seeing anyone.

I have to pee (then leave the club).

I'm gonna get sick (then vomit on him).

I'm not into you at all really, I just like to flirt with men when I go out. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

St Bill wrote: »
    Ok, I was out last Saturday having a great night, chatting to anyone passing. Unfortunately, two guys (was talking to them at different times) thought I was into them because I was talking to them, and eventually got pi*sed off because I wouldn't give them my phone number. Cue a deathstare from one, and insults from the other which, needless to say, put a bit of a dampener on the night :(
    I don't want to be rude (as I don't want to add fuel to the 'Irish women are b*tches' inferno!). So what do you do when the whole 'Can I have your number?' bit comes up? Any nice one-liners to deflect bad feeling?

If I can have your babies.

If I can have your bank account details

If you wear this *present hot pink thong*

If you kiss my friend here *point to closest large angry male*

*shrug* If you like trans-sexuals.

Or just go with 'I have a boyfriend', simple but effective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Or the best one would be........

Your face offends my mirror!! ala Kevin and Perry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

There's no way to soften the blow to a guy whose ego is so overinflated that they cannot accept that you do not want their number.

Just be quietly insistent that you do not give your number out to strangers. If they still insist, tell them thank you for the compliment but that by pushing the issue they are not making a good impression. If they don't get the message move away.

Just remember that you cannot be responsible for another's ego and don't let it ruin your night just take it as a compliment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Thanks for your replies, they've cheered me right up!

And on a side note, I knew that pink thong would come in handy :D

Actually the easiest way is to say "Oh sure, it's 08(insert fake no. here).

LadyJ wrote: »
    Actually the easiest way is to say "Oh sure, it's 08(insert fake no. here).

Do women actually do that? I've never come across it, although I know how to take no for an answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

LOL @ Lands Leaving!
    yeah - "I have a boyfriend" usually works just fine. If they're overly intimidating, casually mention your over-protective husband will be calling to pick you up on the way home from a night's deerhunting or something.

However if they're being rude to you, I wouldn't hesitate to be rude right back and tell them to eff off.

Do women actually do that? I've never come across it, although I know how to take no for an answer

I did it once a few years ago because the guy was
    being so annoying and he was a real asshole so I thought it'd be the easiest way.

Worked anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

definitely just say you have a boyfriend.

All guys know it's not neccesarily true....but we know what it means :p

LadyJ wrote: »
    I did it once a few years ago because the guy was
    being so annoying and he was a real asshole so I thought it'd be the easiest way.

Worked anyway.

What if he says ring me so I have your number? Girls have said it to me, so it could happen. Unless its just a girl thing to say it. Men don't think that far ahead!

What if he says ring me so I have your number? Girls have said it to me, so it could happen. Unless its just a girl thing to say it. Men don't think that far ahead!

He didn't, that's all that matters!

Haha, good point! lucky escape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Shyness stops a lot of guys asking girls for their number and vice versa ,fear of rejection lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If you wear this *present hot pink thong*
    THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME!

Kinda, she gave me a thong as a birhtday present. I was so freaked out and refused to go near it and threw it away. Then she later told me it was a joke and I relaxed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're not into them at all then mention a boyfriend (even if fictional) during the conversation itself. This way they shouldn't ask in the first place. I wouldn't ask a girl for her number if she spoke about a boyfriend. Then again some men like a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I do think that far ahead... when I get a girl number I say I'll ring you so you have mine too...

If you gave a fake number and wanna avoid that tell them your phone is dead, and they should just text you tomorrow and give their name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Worked in a call centre before and we had a team mobile in case lines ever went down or whatever. Mondays used be such a laugh going through all the messages on it from Friday and Saturday nights. Everyone used give that number out as their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When with friends in pubs, clubs, or bars and don't want to be bothered, I wear my Mum's engagement ring. Flash that, and they go away. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

When with friends in pubs, clubs, or bars and don't want to be bothered, I wear my Mum's engagement ring. Flash that, and they go away. Problem solved.

so does that mean ur mum gets hit on every weekend coz she has no ring?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

tallaght01 wrote: »
    so does that mean ur mum gets hit on every weekend coz she has no ring?? :p
    And by the same logic the guy who get the thumbs down this week is 'Hot 'Hot 'Hot the following week , such is wimmins , very strange creatures indeed . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Why? Why play games with people's heads? Why not just be honest and say 'sorry but I'm not interested.' or some such? It's a sh*tty thing to have done for no other reason that the other person is being a coward and doesn't want to ruin their own moment of self-indulging egotism.

I mean, if you are that afraid of the other person's reaction so constantly that you have to lie ... should you not be questioning the situations you are allowing yourself be placed in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

whats wrong with aul faithful " sorry i have a boyfriend/girlfriend" they dont know that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I used to use the "I'm not interested" line for a while but some guys can be a little too pushy and rather than have to deal with that I've found the "I've a boyfriend" works 99% of the time. There is that 1% that will still chance their luck though.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

'you'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel' and walk off, it'll stun them into silence.

Cathooo wrote: »
    'you'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel' and walk off, it'll stun them into silence.

:D

Or 'Sorry I'm going through a tunnel, you're breaking up'.

Lemming wrote: »
    I mean, if you are that afraid of the other person's reaction so constantly that you have to lie ... should you not be questioning the situations you are allowing yourself be placed in?

You're right, I won't venture out again in future. I'll just live the rest of my days out in my bedroom, talking to my hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just start scratching yourself between your legs. although, it may not work for some guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

'I already have a boyfriend'

Though some of them don't seem to care about that, or else they get p!ssed coz you been 'leading them on' by even talking to them in the first place!!

Advertisement