Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cabra exchange evening latency issues

Options
  • 17-12-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I've been on eircom bb for a number of years now mostly with no issues. From time to time an issue has come up though where in the evening my latency would increase and once or twice I managed to get eircom to confirm it was an issue on their end. For the last month or more I've had this latency increase issue between the hours of roughly 7-11pm whilst no issuses at other hours. The connection is mainly used for WoW at this time and its not the most latency dependent game so I have been chasing the issue casually. However following long periods of frustrating 500ms I tried to step it up today with additional calls to the support line. Is anyone else having or have had an issue like this. If so what did they do about it? I've emailed my tracerts to the support guy I spoke to though this is the second time for me to do so and I do not feel like I am getting much satisfaction. The tracerts are viewable below (the last one is to the wow server I play on directly) perhaps someone can just confirm the issue is not at my end? e.g I'm not sure why the second hop times out. It looks to me like the issue is on the exchange around the 4th hop or so?

Cheers

Data

http://wow.dataiswoden.eu/files/tracerts%20latency%20issue%20evening%20time.txt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Definitely not your end. Looks like congestion somewhere on the eircom network, either on the BRAS (aggregation server) or in the core IP network. As some of your tracerts (e.g. to eircom's home page) are working ok, this suggests that the issue is only on some interfaces in the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

im getting the same lag at the same time almost every day, think im going through the same exchange too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers for the responses/confirmations guys. I suppose know I am wondering where do I go from here to get this sorted. Are they even required to look into for it or is it just a matter of quality of service and me needing to switch ISP? I would like to email somewhere ideally but am coming up sort of just the general information email address on the eircom site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Jeez mate, i have the same problem i am in phibsboro, thought it was somebody hacking my wireless connection.....at this very moment i am trying to check my wireless settings but am getting a username and password prompt box ----anybody know the default user and pass for the netopia router. cheers

I believe that the issues mentioned here relate to congestion on an aggregation router in the eircom network in north Dublin (in Summerhill I think). I have checked with my mates there and am assured that there is a planned change in the network to alleviate the situation. I'll try and get an update on when this will take place and let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers Grommet thats good to know. For the last week or so the connection has been totally solid with out this issue. However I have not been online as frequently due to the time of year and such. So I was not sure if it was related to all round less usage or the issue being sorted.

I'll keep an eye on it as we go into the new year but hopefully its all good now.

Data, I got word from eircom that some traffic was moved off the Summerhill BRAS just before Christmas to reduce the congestion. However the issue is not completely resolved and requires an upgrade which is due in the next few weeks.

Glad to hear it has improved for you, though you can expect it may not be completely solid for a few more weeks until the upgrade work is done.

Advertisement