Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Passat with new VRT and Tax

Options
  • 17-12-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

All,

I was planning to order a new 1.9 tdi passat for 2008 but with the new tax and VRT would I be better off to wait till July. How better off would I be with tax and VRT. Would the 2.0 tdi be any better value for VRT and Car Tax.

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

dfdream wrote: »
    All,

I was planning to order a new 1.9 tdi passat for 2008 but with the new tax and VRT would I be better off to wait till July. How better off would I be with tax and VRT. Would the 2.0 tdi be any better value for VRT and Car Tax.

D
    That engine is very noisy. A real old school diesel in terms of refinement. The 2.0 TDI is meant to be a lot quieter plus has a lot more power(35 bhp more) than the 1.9.

As for VRT, look at the sticky about VRT, how to work it out is all there, but the 1.9 and 2.0 TDI Passats all fall into the 20% category under the new VRT scheme, so the 2.0 TDI shouldn't be a lot dearer than the 1.9 TDI.

And the diesel engines are due to be updated in the very near future, they will have more power and crucially will be a lot quieter than the current ones, so these would be the ones worth waiting for.

Assuming VW passes on the VRT saving to the customer, a 1.9 TDI Comfortline would cost €30,765(as opposed to €32,815 now) and the 2.0 TDI Comfortline would cost €33,200(as opposed to €37,945 now) so if you were prepared to wait, you could get a 2.0 TDI for only a small bit more than what a 1.9 TDI would cost now, not to mention the fact that a car registered after July will cost €290 for both models to tax compared to €560 for the 1.9 after February and €590 for the 2.0 TDI after February, so even if VW didn't pass on the VRT saving, you're still up to €300 better off on motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

E92,

Thanks for that. 1 thing though. The Passat Brochure has the CO2 as 157 g/Km which from the other VRT calculation post is Motor Tax Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430 and VRT on Band D (156-170 grams per km) - 24%. A few posts had the passat at 20% VRT, I hope I'm wrong. Also these tax bands are they official as the tax saving would be worth the wait as I will hold onto it for a few years and if the tax is at the current format it would be harder and worth less at resale.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Volkswagen's website says 148 g/km for the 1.9 and 153 g/km for the 2.0 TDI(140 bhp). Or 20% VRT and €290 tax;).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

E92 thanks for that. I have the 2007 passat diesel brochure and the CO2 for the 1.9 tdi is 157. In the 2008 downloadable the CO2 is 148 which makes it a brilliant VRT and tax deal.
    Thanks

D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement