Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aging PC needs a kick in the a*se

• 17-12-2007 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

She's served me well for 3 years, but unfortunately the old girl is starting to show her age. I was going to build a new one but then I remembered that I'd always planned to dabble with OCing towards the end. I've never done it before, so I'd like if maybe somebody could give me a little helping hand... pwease?

Teh Specs (built with the advice of this board actually):
    PSU - Fortron/Source ATX-400W 120mm fsp400-60pn
    +3.3V....28A, +5V.....30A, +12V......16A
    Mobo - MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum S939 nForce3 250Ultra
    54G WiFi (not installed), SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-DDR
    CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz Socket 939, 512KB cache
    stock heatsink
    RAM - Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO DDR400 (2x 512MB DIMMS)
    Only recently set to 2-2-5-2 1T in dual channel mode. Were in single channel mode all this time. :rolleyes:
    GPU - XFX GeForce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3
    Stock cooling
    Case - Q-Tec Midi tower ATX TL-MD2, Silver
    Has 2x 80mm sucking (into case) fans at bottom and 1x 80mm blowing fan near CPU/memory.
    Sound - Creative X-Fi PCI
    HDD - 2x Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPM
    (well used)

Obviously I'd like to do this with the absolute minimal expense but it looks I may have skimped on the PSU. From what I've read, the 12V rail needs 20-30A before you consider OCing. Am I right? Is it worth the risk?

Also cooling may add another expense. I happen to have some Arctic Cooling paste that I got with the PC but never used. But my main concern is with the 6800GT temperatures. Right now with my case open it's at 55C. Max I've seen was about 85C but with a dirty heatsink that is now cleaned. I believe it currently hits 78C max when busy. Since the 6800GTs are essentially lower clocked 6800Ultras (350Mhz V 400MHz core with 16pipes with the GT mainly limited in it's memory OCing capabilities) I'd like to give it a good push to see what I can get from it.

The CPU temp sits below 30C most of the time (I've used the RMClock utility for the lifetime of this PC so the CPU should be well looked after). The hotest I've seen it run is not much over 50-55C.

The AIDA32 Sysinfo Tool currently measures my memory read/write per second speed as 5651MB/2018MB.

MSI have in the past had a brilliant forum for this mobo so I'm gonna thrall through that for some info. Any help re PSU/Cooling would be appretiated. I don't really want the hassle of water cooling - something simple would be best.

Cheers!

Comments

Advertisement