Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poll Please

Options
  • 17-12-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

What would you chose and why??

2003 BMW M3 90,000 MILES
    2004 BMW 645i 45,000 MILES
    2005 BMW 535D 32,000 MILES ( change due to typo)
    2006 AUDI A6 3.0 TDI 16000 MILES ( S Line with Audi DSG etc)
    2008 VW GOLF GTI Top Spec DSG Leather Sat Nav MMI etc No Miles.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Has to be the 645, lovely V8 cruiser.

I may be incorrect on this one but as far as I am aware the twin turbo 635d has just done on sale. I can pretty much guarantee you that's a 630d.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A6 S-line, quattro with a little money in the skyrocket for a set of 18"/19" BBS splits:cool: used petrols are very affordable also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Is there such a car as a 635d? Or do you mean 535d? If it is a 535d that's the one I'd go for, drive it and you will too. The 535d is actually a 3.0 litre engine with twin turbos and is almost as fast as an M5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 apple_danish

Has to be the GTI for a number of reasons:

1. DSG is beautiful to drive.
    2. It's a brand new car compared to the others.
    3. Cooler younger image than the others.
    4. Integrated Sat Nav is better than off the shelf stuff.

I could go on and on, but GTI would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

M3/645i - V. tough ( would need to drive both)
    635D - ( but I dont think there was such thing in 2005 - they're brand new out no ?)
    Golf
    Audi

But I dont understand this q.
    these are neither around the same value or same types of cars.(or not exist)
    Are you thinking of buying ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Golf.

Warrenty
    All mod cons
    New car smell
    You get to choose the colour
    I have dogs and I surf (personal, but a hatch is more practical)
    Its not a saloon
    Fantastic styling

The other cars are lovely too though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A diesel 6 series is only just on sale, the 635d, as part of the changes made with the introducton of EfficientDynamics to the 6 series range(other changes include a new 3.0 litre petrol with High Precision Injection and 272 bhp which in actual fact is only a few mpg less economical than the 635d, and a blink and you've missed it series of styling changes). No such thing as a 630d either.

I think it is very hard too compare any of these cars because there is quite a diverse range of cars included there. There is a hot hatch, a performance car, Grand Tourer style Coupé, a car that didn't exist at that time and an executive car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

thekaiser wrote: »
    What would you chose and why??

2003 BMW M3 90,000 MILES
    2005 BMW 635D 32,000 MILES
    2006 AUDI A6 3.0 TDI 16000 MILES

Thanks

2003 BMW M3 90,000 MILES
    fantastic car and probably the enthusiasts choice, highish mileage but if service history is intact I would have no worries

what I would choose from the bunch, cool looking, luxurious, lots of toys, and that wonderful V8 under the bonnet

2005 BMW 635D 32,000 MILES
    Didn't exist then, I'm sure they are pretty good, and a 535d or 635d will be nowhere near an M5 or M6 in terms of performance

2006 AUDI A6 3.0 TDI 16000 MILES
    I find A4 and A6 Audi's tediously boring, I cant mention them without......zzzzzzzzzzzz

nice car, ok power wise and for the image conscious it will have a 08 plate,
    but everyone else on the street has a Golf........

get the BMW 645i, it has everything and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thekaiser

edit sorry

should have read 535 d M Sport.

and the audi is:

2006 AUDI A6 3.0 TDI S Line with Audi DSG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I reckon 535D or 635D for me, then M3 please! Those 3 litre twin turbos motors seriously shift. I saw one roast by me on the M2 a few weeks ago.

Id actually prefer a 630i to a 645i. The lighter straight 6 is less nose heavy, less thirsty, but still plenty fast, and cheaper to service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

645i for me :)

Beautiful, powerful cruiser

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

M3 here, with the proviso that I am completely dumbstruck when in the prescence of anything from the M division.

Golf would be the last choice for me, everyone, everwhere has a golf. Ive two under the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

unkel wrote: »
    645i for me :)

Beautiful, powerful cruiser

That car is a lot of things, mostly positive, but one thing it aint is beautiful.

Head turning and a little different, but certainly not beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I think the 645i is a disgusting car! I couldn't have one on looks alone(and several reports suggest that the 6 series is a severly flawed car, looks and ride quality coming in for extremely harsh criticism any report I've looked at). I wish BMW would start making cars like the E39 and E38 again, two of the best looking BMW's ever. The E34 is still a great looking car, as are the E32 and E30, the only thing thing that looks dated are the circular headlights which really show the cars' age. What happened to the shark nose and proper sized kidney grilles? Bangle has ruined BMW styling. It wasn't as if BMW were in the middle of a product crisis and something drastic needed to be done either. At least the E82(1 series Coupé) and new X5 and X6 are back to the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Optimist

The Golf for sure. I av a 07 1.9 TDI Golf Sport at the moment and love it. Spend a lot of time in it cos I do 500 miles a wk. Hope to get a 09 GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Practical 535d or audi
    M3 & 6 series if very deep pockets

Golf is not at the races in this company. could not put up with the enterior at that money. Journalists say how well put together etc they are but very plasticy compared to passat or any Audi. It a feckin golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Would be between the 535D and the Golf.

Actually I'd get an older GTI and pocket the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

My brother had an '05 535i diesel touring. Serious car... driving and looks. But not too cheap to run.

Was wrecked by a man with no insurance when he rear-endend him at 50mph 2 weeks ago... the night before he picked up his new disco and passed the bimmer on to his wife... She was delighted... NOT! Man has disappeared into thin air and cops won't get off their swiss rolls because they believe they are onto a loser as he is a non-national and is therefore impossible to catch due to alias' etc.:mad:

Apart from that rant... the 535i is pretty savage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Rory123 wrote: »
    My brother had an '05 535i diesel touring. Serious car... driving and looks. But not too cheap to run.

Was wrecked by a man with no insurance when he rear-endend him at 50mph 2 weeks ago... the night before he picked up his new disco and passed the bimmer on to his wife... She was delighted... NOT! Man has disappeared into thin air and cops won't get off their swiss rolls because they believe they are onto a loser as he is a non-national and is therefore impossible to catch due to alias' etc.:mad:

Apart from that rant... the 535i is pretty savage. ;)

You mean the 535d. I test drove a 335d the other day and the torque is unbelievable - seriously powerful car. Based on that test drive I would also go for the 535d.

TheBazman wrote: »
    You mean the 535d. I test drove a 335d the other day and the torque is unbelievable - seriously powerful car. Based on that test drive I would also go for the 535d.

:confused: Always thought the badge said 535i... But I could very easily be imagining things as usual. I'll check later when I go up for the roast beef ;).

Anyway its the estate 3.0l twin turbo diesel with the M wheels and all that gear on it. savage an' all in anyways!

• Advertisement

.... yep I was imagining things again... the badge says 535d... and the roast beef was bleedin' delish man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd have the M3 .. wins hands down for sheer performance.Dont know why a Golf would even be considered with the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Barr wrote: »
    I'd have the M3 .. wins hands down for sheer performance.Dont know why a Golf would even be considered with the other options.

Totally agree, suprising the Golf is on that list at all. Personally i would go for the 535D but if fuel costs etc are not a big factor i would go with the V8 645i for sure. For some reason the 635D just doesnt seem right! The milage on the M3 would only be a concern if there is not a fbmwsh. The golf is just a golf and although a good hot hatch its not in the league of your other choices, its a lot slower and its very common!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hooky 25

Straight for the Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

junkyard wrote: »
    Is there such a car as a 635d? Or do you mean 535d? If it is a 535d that's the one I'd go for, drive it and you will too. The 535d is actually a 3.0 litre engine with twin turbos and is almost as fast as an M5.

The 535d is a long way off an M5. It was comfortably beaten in a straight line test by a 545i, and even the 545 is a nice way off an M5. (550i has replaced the 545i).

On the above choice, mine would be the M3, but that milaege would worry me a little. Because of the mileage I'd possibly opt for the 535d. The 645i would only remind me that the 650i is better for the same tax and insurance and slightly more efficient engine with more power!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I like my cars to be nicely unassuming.

I'd go for the Golf GTI because it would cause me less stress.

I know its a bit extreme but I'd also make sure it is nice and dirty all the time so that scum who like to destroy nice shiney paintwork with a nail or whatever will not be attracted to it.
    (Two of my previous cars were keyed just after I had them washed)

The BMWs are beautiful machines but every time I parked the BMW I'd be sh1ting myself that some scummer was going to key it or worse break into my house and steal my keys.

I think one of the posters on this forum once mentioned how he has a nice high end BMW but always brings an older less expensive car which he also owns when he goes to places like liffey valley.

The Audi is also nice, but I associate them with middle age businessmen. Not the image I want just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

leahcim wrote: »
    (Two of my previous cars were keyed just after I had them washed)

Do you mind me asking where this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

djmike wrote: »
    That car is a lot of things, mostly positive, but one thing it aint is beautiful.

Head turning and a little different, but certainly not beautiful.

QFT

At a push, I'd go with the Audi, but realistically, I wouldn't have any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Do you mind me asking where this happened?

My Golf Mk IV got a knife dug deep into the bodywork (across the boot) when my car was parked in Dunmanway in West Cork. It was damaged at around 11pm, I was only away from the car for an hour. This was back in 1998 I got the car washed that morning.

My Golf MkV got keyed while parked in a car park in Cashel in Tipp. I washed the car the day before. This happened around 4pm. This was in 2005.

Neither golf was special, both 1.4.

I think my cars were damaged because they were
    1. New, in that they were damaged the year they were first registered.
    2. They were very clean and shiny.

Or maybe it’s just a coincidence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement