Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tow-starting a diesel

Options
  • 17-12-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Have an old audi 80 tdi I need to get shifted, but the starter looks like its gone west - battery isn't too good either, which probably hastened the demise of the poor starter.

How difficult would it be to start on a tow as opposed to a petrol model??

While I'm at it, does anyone know for definite if a starter from something like a tdi vento will fit and work on an audi 80 tdi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Start in second gear. Shouldn't be any different than a petrol. Don't know about the starter. It's possible that they're the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sure you can tow start a diesel ...no problem.

I recently bump-started my motorhome on the slightest of hills after the battery had died on it.

Just pick a high-ish gear to do it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Diesels are usually much easier due to high compression, stick it in 2nd/3rd gear and foot on the clutch, at 20 mph let it out flash the puller and prepare to brake.

Mike.

Advertisement