Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

impreza - fake or real wrx?

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

just a quick one for the experts on boards.

something light hearted and quick to let you relax your brains.

have attached a picture of a 2004 subaru impreza, was told its a wrx but i dont think it is, something about it looks wrong so i am of the opinion that its a replica.

so was wondering if you lot would cast your eyes over the picture to see what you think and settle a disagreement :D

real or fake? 5 votes

real
    0% 0 votes
    fake
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i think its fake, the rear wheels arnt sticking out as much as the WRX., my mate had one of them fakes aswell and swapped it for a type R integra.,

edit: yeah defo a fake, you can see where the front bumper was painted around the fog lights, they should have a black covering on them., it has the right seats though.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why don't you look under the bonnet? I have a WRX and the wheels don't come out too far, it's all down to your choice of wheels too remember.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can't remember with the newer ones but older ones had brake drums at the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

A WRX would have Discs all round.. But there is somthing that does'nt look right about it.. I think the bonnet vent does'nt look right.. and the wheels also look a bit different..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Its a fake, the bonnet vent is actually an STi bonnet vent. I doubt a WRX owner would go to the bother of replacing his smaller vent with the larger Sti one. Also, the bumper is an aftermarket one, an usual sign its a bodykitted 1.6 or 2L and not a WRX.

• Advertisement

there deffo not standard wheels though, but i think they donrt come out far enough in the arches to be the WRX., HB dennis actually sells these brand new, they fit all the replica stuff and charge you a small fortune for it.,

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#Rev._B_.282002.29_4

Read this it has all the different specs..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ah i cant look under the bonnet, its a friend or a cousin or something of my girlfriends, and she reckons its a real one but its a young girl driving it and i reckoned

a - she was too young to get a wrx or sti insured

and

b - it didnt look just right for some reason.

as for the bonnet vent it could be sti either but i dont think that bumper comes on an sti either?

edit:would the subaru badge be pink also if it was an sti?

err. look at the tax disc.,lol,
    engine size will be on there.,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What would possess someone to want to sit on the roof of a car?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    What would possess someone to want to sit on the roof of a car?

no idea, i wasnt there, nor would i ever converse with the people in the photo(not being offensive there just not my kind of people), i happened to come across it on a bebo site and realised it was the same car i was arguing about with my girlfriend.

i've only ever seen it driving by, never got a look at the tax disc, its one of those cars that constantly goes up and down the down but never stops :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The front upper grill has a seperator going through it, whilst WRX's dont. Also, the front bumper is too flat across the base. Doesnt proper WRX's have seperate splitters in front of the wheels?

draffodx wrote: »
    ah i cant look under the bonnet, its a friend or a cousin or something of my girlfriends, and she reckons its a real one but its a young girl driving it and i reckoned

a - she was too young to get a wrx or sti insured

and

b - it didnt look just right for some reason.

as for the bonnet vent it could be sti either but i dont think that bumper comes on an sti either?

edit:would the subaru badge be pink also if it was an sti?

Ya the STi badges on that model should be pink. I reckon its a fake, the wheels, grille and bonnet do not look right. The rear brakes are a dead giveaway, if they are drums its a fake. The tax disk might just say 2.0L so thats no indication of weather its a run of the mill saloon or WRX/STi.

but doesnt the 2L have rear discs though? im pretty sure they do., so would have to be a 1.6 which the tax disc could confirm.,?

Ya if its a 1.6 the tax disk is a give away. It does not look right, the parts look aftermarket. You don't buy a WRX then buy a very similar front bumper from an aftermarket company. In my experience if it looks fake it is fake!

cheers guys, so worth sticking 50quid on it if we get a chance to look at the tax disc? ;)

yep, id say a safe bet.,;)

draffodx wrote: »
    cheers guys, so worth sticking 50quid on it if we get a chance to look at the tax disc? ;)

Yep worth the money! Also, the spoiler is an STi spec one, not a WRX. So either they bought a WRX and spent money on a new STi spoiler and bonnet scoop and fitted it, or its a fake with the parts fitted. The grille looks wrong the more I look at it too. 99.99978% sure its a fake.

i hate those copied spoilers., they catch a load of water in the middle of the bood lid when its raining and when you open the boot all the water spills inside., then theres the weight, i was fitting an amp in a faker one and the boot lifters arnt strong enough to hold the added weight of the spoiler so I got a nice smack of the locking mech (which is stuck out and pointy) right in the spine.,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stick the reg into cartell and check the engine size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Looks 100% fake to me.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Stick the reg into cartell and check the engine size.

The car in question comes up as:
    Make SUBARU
    Model IMPREZA
    Description GDA*4HD
    Engine Capacity(cc) 1994
    Fuel Type PETROL

a wrx Sti comes up as:
    Make SUBARU
    Model IMPREZA
    Description 4DR 41 DCCD STI
    Engine Capacity(cc) 1994
    Fuel Type PETROL

a wrx turbo comes up as:
    Make SUBARU
    Model IMPREZA
    Description WRX TURBO
    Engine Capacity(cc) 1994
    Fuel Type PETROL

and a 2.0l seems to come up as:
    Make SUBARU
    Model IMPREZA
    Description GX AWD
    Engine Capacity(cc) 1994
    Fuel Type PETROL

so anyone know what the GDA*4HD means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

http://www.modelreports.com/acatalog/002-00147.pdf

It appears according to cartell its real

Impreza WRX-R Version 7 Manual GDA*B*4HD

Probably Version 7 with the slight variation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i think it looks fake, i see emmets Evo 7 in the background....thats not fake! running 380 bhp now.

something about the stance of the WRX is just so wrong......

yeah i agree, i think so too., the evo is an easy one though, the headlights arnt the same on the cheapo's.,

kceire wrote: »

something about the stance of the WRX is just so wrong......

yeh, i cant believe its real, it just doesn't look right at all, looks out of sorts or something, yeh i know the evo, its lovely so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Go me, I voted for it being real!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tony Danza wrote: »
    Go me, I voted for it being real!

aghh god love ya LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Megatron091

It has to be fake.. sure look at the crumpled can of Dutch Gold at the front left wheel no way they would be drinking that tripe around a genuine WRX..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Maybe the car got a bang and had the bonnet and bumper repaired with non standard parts?

Advertisement