Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stopped last night asked to produce but didnt know my licence expired recently

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

just looking for a bit of input i got stopped last night dropping the girlfriend home however i didnt have my licence on me as a just threw a hoody and jeans on me and walked out the door, now i know by law your ment to have your licence on you whislt driving so i dont want any negitive comments regarding that but anyway took out my licence today and found out it expired on the 3.12.07 i had no idea whatsoever, so first thing tomorrow im heading to the local motor tax office to get it renewed, now i have fully comp insurance, tax is perfect and nct is perfect on the car but the garda asked me to produce in a station of my choice within 10 days etc, which im obviously going to do but how bad is my situation?? will they be like oh its a genuine mistake or will they throw the book at me ive never seen the out come of a situation like mine and im a bit worried

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

You'll get a receipt when you renew it. Go to the station with it and explain to the Garda and hope he lets you away with it. Even if the worst happens, you'll get a fine and a few points, it's not the end of the world! :) Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mivec wrote: »
    just looking for a bit of input i got stopped last night dropping the girlfriend home however i didnt have my licence on me as a just threw a hoody and jeans on me and walked out the door, now i know by law your ment to have your licence on you whislt driving so i dont want any negitive comments regarding that but anyway took out my licence today and found out it expired on the 3.12.07 i had no idea whatsoever, so first thing tomorrow im heading to the local motor tax office to get it renewed, now i have fully comp insurance, tax is perfect and nct is perfect on the car but the garda asked me to produce in a station of my choice within 10 days etc, which im obviously going to do but how bad is my situation?? will they be like oh its a genuine mistake or will they throw the book at me ive never seen the out come of a situation like mine and im a bit worried
    I have no idea how this will pan out but i just have to say if your licence isn't valid then your insurance isn't valid either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have no idea how this will pan out but i just have to say if your licence isn't valid then your insurance isn't valid either.
    Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Anan1 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A relative of mine drove for 3 or 4 years on a expired license but that was over 10 years ago now.... excuse me, I have to make a phonecall:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Explain explain explain. Go to motor tax office, apply for new license, bring proof to copshop within time specified and explain your mistake and that you're in the process of getting it sorted. Be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Savman wrote: »
    Explain explain explain. Go to motor tax office, apply for new license, bring proof to copshop within time specified and explain your mistake and that you're in the process of getting it sorted. Be nice.

I am assuming full licence in giving the following advice:

Go to the motor tax office and look panicked...You're going to Italy tomorrow on a few days business and you need your licence for your hire car, you know what the Italians are like...and your boss will freak a bean if you can't get around to the different places you need to be

The generally post it out within 10 days in the normal scheme of things, but they may just do it there and then if you seem freaked enough...God knows they can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Complete poop.... as long as you hold or have held a license and are not disqualified from holding one then your insurance is valid...

to the op, get it renewed , your new license will not show when the old one ran out... present in 10 days to the cops...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ninty9er wrote: »
    but they may just do it there and then if you seem freaked enough...God knows they can!

yeh my girlfriend got hers done there and then because her neighbour works there, they do them all there in the tax office for a couple of hours after closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't bother getting it renewed before going to the Garda station. Hand it over and if Garda notices act supprised, it's only 2 weeks out. Going to the Garda station with a reciept isn't a very good idea as all that says is you are getting some kind of licence not which type. I know people who where stopped with licences expired years and nothing was said except renew it. Only issue is if it's expired by more then 10 years then you have to re-sit the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't bother getting it renewed before going to the Garda station. Hand it over and if Garda notices act supprised, it's only 2 weeks out. Going to the Garda station with a reciept isn't a very good idea as all that says is you are getting some kind of licence not which type. I know people who where stopped with licences expired years and nothing was said except renew it. Only issue is if it's expired by more then 10 years then you have to re-sit the test.

I agree.
    It's not expired that long. The garda will most likely just tell you to get it renewed (If he even notices it).

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Anytime I got my licence renewed (by going to the tax office in person) they had it in the post to me the next working day. You should easily have it within 10 days, hopefully the Christmas post will not mess you up.

If you dont have your new licence in time I would being the old one and pretent you hadn't realised it wasn't out of date as others have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I remember(many) years ago the County Council used to send a notice that your driving licence was about to expire.

They do it for dog licences,they do it for car tax,I can't see why they can't do it for driving licences too.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Go to the motor tax office and look panicked...You're going to Italy tomorrow on a few days business and you need your licence for your hire car, you know what the Italians are like...and your boss will freak a bean if you can't get around to the different places you need to be

The generally post it out within 10 days in the normal scheme of things, but they may just do it there and then if you seem freaked enough...God knows they can!

I think that the speed of issuing won't be a particular problem. However technically the OP has to produce within 10 days a document which shows that he was licenced at the _time_ he was stopped.

Hower in his case I'd drop in my existing licence and see what happens. They have a ten-year lifespan and I'm sure that there are plenty of people with expired ones especially ones that are only just expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you're doing this bring corrobrating proof of address - passport and utility bills.

The post is used to establish address. They may bend the rules if you can otherwise prove your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

mivec wrote: »

If you renew your licence and explain to the Garda you will be OK, it happens more often than you think......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Your license is still valid to drive on for 5 years after it's expiry date. Pop into local road tax office, ask can you collect the next day as you're afraid it'll get stuck in the post. Say you're heading up north for shopping, and that the PSNI will not accept a reciept as proof of license.
    Be nice to the person behind the counter, and they should be able to bend the rules and not post it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bogger77 wrote: »

Your license is still valid to drive on for 5 years after it's expiry date.

Whats the point in having an expiry date then?

Same as your passport, you can travel to most of eu on an expired passport. It's just to ensure you update your picture, and to allow upgrades to newer format's. If it never expired, you'd have people on the old pre 1990's format, the current format and the credit card format (whenever that happens).
    Also, for people hitting 70yrs of age, the license is only valid for 3 yrs, and they must take a medical test if they wish to renew it. A ten year license, is only valit til the holder hits 70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

A couple of things.
    You were driving WITHOUT A VALID LICENCE!!!!!!

If you had of been in an accident your insurance company would use this as a get out clause thus leaving you technically uninsured.

If the Garda decides to push it (probably wont) you can end up in court with a hefty fine and points.

As with insurance doesnt matter wheter it is 1 min,1 day, 1 week whatever.In the eyes of the law out of date is out of date.

Get to your tax office in the morning with your old licence get a new one by however means AND hope it has a continuity date from your old one.

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    A couple of things.

If you had of been in an accident your insurance company would use this as a get out clause thus leaving you technically uninsured.

Wrong, Wrong Wrong.

Phone up an insurance co and ask them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

that would be lying.. great advice...not:D the tax office will look for proof of travel..

oh just noticed your sig. :D:D:D: :eek:

what_car wrote: »

There's a system, you just need to know how to use it....if you don't someone else will. I guarantee it. Was actually discussed in recent times in relation to internal elections in the past....of course the system has been refined about 3 times in the last 6 years to combat "use" of the system.

OT...but I don't think they's require proof if you looked in a rush and freaked.

what_car wrote: »

There's a system, you just need to know how to use it....if you don't someone else will. I guarantee it. Was actually discussed in recent times in relation to internal elections in the past....of course the system has been refined about 3 times in the last 6 years to combat "use" of the system.

OT...but I don't think they's require proof if you looked in a rush and freaked

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

A couple of things.

Before you go to school in the morning go and ask your daddy to show you his insurance policy. Specifically the part relating to driving licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

parsi wrote: »
    Before you go to school in the morning go and ask your daddy to show you his insurance policy. Specifically the part relating to driving licences.

My insurance policy (AIG) states "provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive such a vehicle or, having held such a licence, is not disqualified from holding such a licence"

i.e. expired licence OK
    but driving when banned, not OK

Also would imply driving after a ban has expired OK, even if you havn't resat the test to get new licence (still obviously illegal)

So.If your licence is out of date it doesnt really matter!!!
    So therefore having expiry dates on licences really doesnt mean a whole lot!
    If you get banned from driving then it does matter

Below taken from citizens Information:

You are entitled to apply for a driving licence if:

* You have recently passed a driving test
    * You hold a driving licence that will expire within one month and you want to renew it
    * You held a driving licence that expired less than 10 years ago and you want to renew it
    * You hold a driving licence and you want to have an additional category of vehicles added to it and a driving test is not required or you are exchanging a current valid driving licence issued by another EU member state or another "recognised state".

With regards to driving when your licence is out of date I cant find anything on Citizens Info.So if I am wrong I take it all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

So.If your licence is out of date it doesnt really matter!!!
    So therefore having expiry dates on licences really doesnt mean a whole lot!
    If you get banned from driving then it does matter

Below taken from citizens Information:

You are entitled to apply for a driving licence if:

* You have recently passed a driving test
    * You hold a driving licence that will expire within one month and you want to renew it
    * You held a driving licence that expired less than 10 years ago and you want to renew it
    * You hold a driving licence and you want to have an additional category of vehicles added to it and a driving test is not required or you are exchanging a current valid driving licence issued by another EU member state or another "recognised state".

With regards to driving when your licence is out of date I cant find anything on Citizens Info.So if I am wrong I take it all back.

I read this thread last friday (the 21st) and checked my licence after. It expired on the 10/11/2007 (thanks OP!) so I went to the Garda station to get a new form and asked the Garda. He said that I am 100% uninsured without a licence, no exceptions. I didnt believe him, so I rang a girl I know in my insurance company who said that she's come accross this so many times and the insurance will NOT cover you if your licence has expired. If there was any sort of way to get around it, she would have said. So I havnt driven since last Friday!

Thanks Jeapy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Just thought i'd share my two cents on this:

Same thing happened to me, although it was slightly more complicated. I produced my expired license in the wrong station.

2 months later i got a number of summon's

Failure to produce License
    Failure to produce Insurance
    No License
    No Insurance

Went to court, plead guilty on no license, not guilty to no insurance. Judge stated that as my policy was in force at the time, in the eyes of the law i had an insurance policy. I believe the case would have been different if there was an accident .

I recieved a 70 euro fine which i promptly paid.

Advertisement