Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stopped last night asked to produce but didnt know my licence expired recently

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

craichoe wrote: »
    Just thought i'd share my two cents on this:

Same thing happened to me, although it was slightly more complicated. I produced my expired license in the wrong station.

2 months later i got a number of summon's

Failure to produce License
    Failure to produce Insurance
    No License
    No Insurance

Went to court, plead guilty on no license, not guilty to no insurance. Judge stated that as my policy was in force at the time, in the eyes of the law i had an insurance policy. I believe the case would have been different if there was an accident .

I recieved a 70 euro fine which i promptly paid.

What a b1tch! Still I suppose it could have been a hell of a lot worse. I was driving for 5 weeks (in that time Dublin-Mayo around 6 times and Mayo- Cork as well as shorter trips). Thankin my lucky stars for this thread that i didnt hit a beamer or somethin! Thanks again OP, I owe u a pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Jeapy wrote: »
    I read this thread last friday (the 21st) and checked my licence after. It expired on the 10/11/2007 (thanks OP!) so I went to the Garda station to get a new form and asked the Garda. He said that I am 100% uninsured without a licence, no exceptions. I didnt believe him, so I rang a girl I know in my insurance company who said that she's come accross this so many times and the insurance will NOT cover you if your licence has expired. If there was any sort of way to get around it, she would have said. So I havnt driven since last Friday!
    Even the Gardaí don't know how insurance works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Aye,

Coverage on a Claim and having an Insurance policy in force are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I read this thread last friday (the 21st) and checked my licence after. It expired on the 10/11/2007 (thanks OP!) so I went to the Garda station to get a new form and asked the Garda. He said that I am 100% uninsured without a licence, no exceptions. I didnt believe him, so I rang a girl I know in my insurance company who said that she's come accross this so many times and the insurance will NOT cover you if your licence has expired. If there was any sort of way to get around it, she would have said. So I havnt driven since last Friday!

You believed what a guard told you about motoring laws? Bad idea ;)

Depends entirely on the insurance company, the majority of insurance policies *are* valid when your licence has expired. Just checked mine, and it is. Would advise you to check your own rather than rely on the memory of someone who works there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just thought i'd share my two cents on this:

Same thing happened to me, although it was slightly more complicated. I produced my expired license in the wrong station.

2 months later i got a number of summon's

Failure to produce License
    Failure to produce Insurance
    No License
    No Insurance

Went to court, plead guilty on no license, not guilty to no insurance. Judge stated that as my policy was in force at the time, in the eyes of the law i had an insurance policy. I believe the case would have been different if there was an accident .

I recieved a 70 euro fine which i promptly paid.

I would take this as the rule as everything else is guesswork until it gets to court.I therefore take back any wrong assumptions I made.
    Of course it's so much easier to keep your licence in date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How do people not remember important things like licence renewals? I know Idid my test in Aug 99 so I know my licence is up for renewal in Aug 09 , I havnt had to check it sice I got it to find out this info.It's not rocket sciene people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Its even easier than that.
    ITS WRITTEN ON YOUR LICENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bcmf wrote: »
    Its even easier than that.
    ITS WRITTEN ON YOUR LICENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG , NO WAY!!!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    How is that easier than not haveing to do anything at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I have had to make claims in the past and was never asked to show my licence. So even if your licence is expired if you say nothing then the insurance company will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Akaik they have a photocopy/fax of your License on file, if the copy is out of date they will ask for a copy of the subsequently issued license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Akaik they have a photocopy/fax of your License on file, if the copy is out of date they will ask for a copy of the subsequently issued license.

My car insurer has never seen my driving licence. Insured online, never asked to remit documents, certificate arrived by post.

so I went to the Garda station to get a new form and asked the Garda. He said that I am 100% uninsured without a licence, no exceptions. I didnt believe him, so I rang a girl I know in my insurance company who said that she's come accross this so many times and the insurance will NOT cover you if your licence has expired.!
    MYOB wrote: »
    You believed what a guard told you about motoring laws? Bad idea ;)
    Depends entirely on the insurance company, the majority of insurance policies *are* valid when your licence has expired. Just checked mine, and it is. Would advise you to check your own rather than rely on the memory of someone who works there.

Well, I know her very well and she gives very good quotes ;), would def rely on her to be honest. Doesn't matter too much anyway, licence still needed to be renewed! Got my receipt thing today now that the motor tax office is back open so Im back on the road legally! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; how did you fare out?

I wenty through this a few years ago; came to a checkpoint, license in hand, but was just waved through. Handed the license to my passenger, who noticed it was a month out.

Got onto local Garda station that evening to check if it was OK to drive, and on to my insurance the following morning. Both said no problems, but to get it sorted out for my own convienence. Went to the tax office, put in the application and explained what had happened, was asked to wait, and 15 minutes later left with new license.

No problems, no big dramatic moments. If you notice it's out or about to expire, then get it renewed. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

op similar happened to me, stopped and licence i taut was in other handbag, but it was not it was lost. so i went to produce to my nice local guarda station and his reaction was dont worry, you cant produce what you dont have, get a new one and drop in to the guard who stopped me and explain. so i did. he was nice as pie but said summons were gone through and he could not stop it.
    couple months later got 3 summons.
    1. failure to produce on roadside
    2. failure to produce within 10 days
    3. no licence.

got a fine in court. (before points system)

Fey! wrote: »
    OP; how did you fare out?

Exactly what I was thinking! Did it all go ok for ya?
    got a fine in court. (before points system)

Do you get points nowadays for that kind of thing? If you've no licence/it has expired, can you get points on it?

Advertisement