Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert grinds rates

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LC08

I'm getting a grind in maths and physics.
    I think that I'm being charged a bit much though...
    How much would you say is appropriate for an hours work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

i pay €25 an hour for mine!!

how much ya being charged??

I charge €25 an hour, but know that many people pay up to €40 per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Im getting charged 35 an hour for maths and physics.

grinds are 1 to 1 though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the grind is being given by an experienced, qualified teacher I would expect them to charge €40 an hour.
    Sliding scale downwards then to graduates and undergraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

spurious wrote: »
    If the grind is being given by an experienced, qualified teacher I would expect them to charge €40 an hour.
    Sliding scale downwards then to graduates and undergraduates.

€25 for my french, 1 to 1, and the guy is translator for business meetings!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

€16 for an hour and a half, but theres 6 of us in the class(tech graphics - no one is doing grinds, everyone is taking it as an extra subject) Good teacher and as he's a teacher in the school, we can always ask questions to do with the homework as I'm doing it as an extra subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

30 euro ++ comes to my home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I charge €25 an hour, but know that many people pay up to €40 per hour.

Does the student go to your house, and are you taking more than one at a time? I'm charging 30 atm for my first student, I'm being told that's fairly cheap and since I'm travelling I was thinking of asking for another fiver for anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

im payin 55 euro for 1 hour of french!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

KERPAL wrote: »

That's insane! Surely there must be a cheaper alternative. :confused:

• Advertisement

Does the student go to your house, and are you taking more than one at a time? I'm charging 30 atm for my first student, I'm being told that's fairly cheap and since I'm travelling I was thinking of asking for another fiver for anyone else.

Sorry only saw this now, I am a 3rd level student specializing in 3 of the subjects I give grinds in. I go to the students house and its a 1to1 grind.

I don't see much point in charging an extra five euro per hour, my lower rates get me 1/2 extra students which more than makes up for the smaller money.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

Yeah Hear, Hear. I specialize in 2 subjects and only charge 25 per hour for one on one.

55 euro for that french grind is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

KERPAL wrote: »

That is crazy! I charge €25-30 per hour for 1 to 1 tuition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I pay 20 bucks an hour for my applied maths, with about 15 in the class. I also pay 20 bucks an hour for my maths class which only has one other person in it. All these other prices are freakin insane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I pay €25 per hour and a half. I do it in a primary school, and teachers from other schools come up. I've only ever had the one teacher but he's great. I do Physics and Maths (hour and a half each) and at the start of the year there were only 2 others in my physics. Now it's up to 6 or 7 in both, but it's still good.

Got a discount too since I'm doing two, and I've paid til the end of the year. So probably is working out at about €20 per hour and a half after taking that into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

15 euros for 1 to 1. lasts 90 mins 4 LC subject

i know mine is very cheap
    and b4 i get aload of replies bk shes teaching the subject for 17yrs and about 25% of her students get A's every yr.
    Shes Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

55 is just a crime
    i dont beleive it i think sum1 is just stirring the pot!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I pay 20 euro an hour for Maths Grinds with 2 others

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

€25 per hour in a class of 20! He's making big money!!! What's the tax situation with grinds money? No big deal for a teacher giving a couple of grinds but for someone like the ones I'm going to. He makes €500 a week and the classes run for the whole year!!!! All this tax free?????

joey54 wrote: »
    €25 per hour in a class of 20! He's making big money!!! What's the tax situation with grinds money? No big deal for a teacher giving a couple of grinds but for someone like the ones I'm going to. He makes €500 a week and the classes run for the whole year!!!! All this tax free?????

Probably. If you had the opportunity to earn €500 cash in hand would you tell the revenue about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Probably. If you had the opportunity to earn €500 cash in hand would you tell the revenue about it?

Possibly not!!! It is a nice sum every week though!!! I wonder will the revenue ever catch up with teachers and grinds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

annie19 wrote: »
    15 euros for 1 to 1. lasts 90 mins 4 LC subject

i know mine is very cheap
    and b4 i get aload of replies bk shes teaching the subject for 17yrs and about 25% of her students get A's every yr.
    Shes Class

She's underselling herself big-time. She should be charging at least double that!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

I was thinking of offering LC Accounting grinds (to earn extra cash) but don't really know where to start - having said that I was going to offer them for free to get started. Im new to giving grinds but 1. did honours accounting for leaving cert 2. have Honours degree in Accounting and 3. Im a qualified accountant aswell.

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jay P wrote: »
    I pay 20 bucks an hour for my applied maths, with about 15 in the class. I also pay 20 bucks an hour for my maths class which only has one other person in it. All these other prices are freakin insane

There's fifteen people in a class and you're each paying 20 quid? I don't know how you could get any benefit from that that you don't get at school, assuming they run applied maths in your school? I know there's a music teacher in Sligo that charges forty and hour and takes four people at a time. And if you cancel you have to give two days notice or pay her!

u2livecd wrote: »
    I was thinking of offering LC Accounting grinds (to earn extra cash) but don't really know where to start - having said that I was going to offer them for free to get started. Im new to giving grinds but 1. did honours accounting for leaving cert 2. have Honours degree in Accounting and 3. Im a qualified accountant aswell.

Any advice?

Don't give them for free for a start, while it's a noble thought, there will be people who take advantage and mess you around, also if you sell yourself short just like all other commodities (and education has become one to a certain extent) if it's cheap it's not that good will be the opinion. I'm not suggesting that people that only charge €20 an hour are not good teachers, but some students will think 'oh they mustn't be teaching long, or be that good when they are not charging much'

most of the posts here about rates are fairly standard for the most part, with €15 being really cheap and €55 being completely extortionate in my opinion, if you are going to charge pitch it somewhere in the middle.

get hold of an accounting book and a set of exam papers to see if anything on the course has changed since you did it, because not only will a student need to know how to do accounts but they will need to know a bit about the layout of the paper, compulsory questions etc so it would be good if you are familiar with that, also on www.examinations.ie you can download all the papers and marking schemes, so you can go through the marking schemes to see where mark are being awarded or easily lost.

other people might have different opinions on how to give grinds, but at the end of the day most students are looking for a certain grade in the LC.

Don't sell yourself short anyway! Maybe advertise in the local paper to get started. I find as well that if you have a student for a grind you should give them a fixed time which they must stick to because in my experience with a few students if you start being flexible with times they can totally take the piss

joey54 wrote: »
    Possibly not!!! It is a nice sum every week though!!! I wonder will the revenue ever catch up with teachers and grinds?

I can't imagine it happening anytime soon. I'd say there are plenty of people in the revenue with children who go to grinds :)

and one of two things would happen if it did: teachers would give up grinds if the money they earned was taxed because it wouldn't be worth their while

or they would charge extortionate rates so that their post tax earnings would be the same as they were before they had to start paying tax.

I think grinds will remain untouched by the revenue for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

To repeat what Spurious said, an experienced teacher giving a 1:1 grind is usually 40 euro an hour. Practicing experienced teachers know the course much better than anyone else and is much more exam focused. And I know plenty are going to jump down my throat that its easy to follow the syllabus etc but compared to when I started teaching, i know the course much better and focused due to experience and thats what pays.
    Remember: Just coz someone is the best mathematician or physicist in the world doens't make them the best teacher..
    Tax: Of course they will just go up in price and also teachers won't give them anymore so everyone looses and remember too, you have already paid tax on the money you are handing over. Ever see the ads for 4-5 subjects from a postgrad, no way in the world that can be a great grinds service.
    I personally think class grinds are a waste of time as if someone has certain probs, better paying for an hour or two to get the specific problems addressed and on your way again.

Advertisement