Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sleep Dilemma

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

It's midnight.

I'm just about to go to bed for my exam in the morning at nine, when I spot something in my notes that pinpoints what topics should come up tomorrow.
    Do I go for the all nighter and nail the topics and do the exam on 2-3 hours sleep or do I get the nights kip and have a fresh brain and a fair stab at the topics...

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Take 5 hours sleep now then study for 3 before leaving at 8 to get to your exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

i was studying till 3am before my exams at 9am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

ShaneU wrote: »
    i was studying till 3am before my exams at 9am.

Me too - or else I'd study til about 2, then wake up again around 6 if I was too tired to keep going. It works for me OK - can't keep it up for too many nights in a row though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Sleepyness is weakness of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Yeah I think I will go until one and then get up around 5ish.
    Apparently it's better to sleep in four hour sessions.

Sleep when I get home at twelve tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If you don't have an exam the next day (ie. u wont be knackered after the first exam and so wont revise for the one the next day) then get as much sleep as you can and skim over the topic tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Hmmmm have forgotten what sleep is like.

I find it best to sleep from 12 to 5 get up and cram.

Do the exam and then go home and pass out with exhaustion.

Which is exactly what I intend to be doing in about 10 hours or so

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Depends on the person, I dont think id be able to do as well in an exam with no sleep as i could with 8 hours.it also depends on how prepared you are for the exam obviously and how long the exam is

eg.five minute practical-no sleep needed :)

having said that, when im not prepared for an exam i cant sleep anyway so theres not much point in going to bed.lay in bed last night for aages thinking "i really should be studying now" but if i was up studying i would be panicking and saying "I really should be sleeping now".oh world....

i think i think too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

My chem teacher always said it was better to go fresh into an exam with less knowledge than to go in tired with more as you'll be able to use the knowledge you do have to much better effect.

I learnt that the hard way when i was so exhausted before an exam I was found asleep on the corridor with my chemistry book as my pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

for me its a case of sleep

always no matter how fecked I am..........cramming just doesnt work for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Cramming always works for me. I work better when I'm under pressure and the lack of sleep is overtaken by the adrenaline anyway. Then I'm always wreaked when I get out.
    So glad I've no exams this year. (sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

had the same dilemma myself last night for my 9 exam but i went for the 7/8 hour sleep option as i had another exam later in the day

i've done the 4 hour sleep for a 9am exam and it's does work once you get up around 5am to go over your stuff again and of course drinking jugs of coffee is only compulsory. the momentum and adrenaline rush always pulls you over the 11am finishing line..... and then you drop dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Sleep is for the weak.
    Went to bed at about 2.30 due to high intake of caffeine and over zealous study, had to get up at 6 to get to blackrock for my exam due to living on the opposite side of the planet from the exam center.
    Am liable to collapse at any moment, where's that cup of extra strong tea...hmmm..

Advertisement