Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint Repairs

Options
  • 18-12-2007 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all, does anyone know how to remove marks off the paintwork on a car, it's like someone brushed past it with their bumper or something while it was parked somewhere and now there's a mark on the paint from it. Tried waxing it and it's removed most of the marks but there's still one left, should i just get some spray paint or is there anything else. The car is 4 yrs old so if i spray it there's a chance it'll be a different shade than what's on the car already cos of the paint fading etc etc. Preferably don't want to have to take a can of paint to it if i can avoid it, so anyone know any products ? I should say the metal isn't showing through the paint so assume it's just superficial .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wouldn't use cans unless the car was at least 15 years old and only if it was a crappy car worth being proud of or washing on a Sunday.

You can buy a little tub of "compound" in a motor factors which is like a heavy duty wax and use a polish to bring up the shine properly. You can use it by hand and if the scratch still won't go away, the best thing to do is take it to a panel beater who will compound it with a buffing machine and it will definitely take the scracth out unless it's through the paint and into the primer in which case you have no real option an a newish car like yours but to paint it. Assuming it's not that bad, the panelbeater would probably not even charge and it will only take him 2 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yeah a buffer will take it off if its only paint transfer., i had 92 civic that someone had touched up with colour match cans after it was scuffed on the corners, turned out that the marks were from other cars that it had bumped off of and with a buffer and some G3 compound i had the car looking like it was brand new in about an hour.,(the whole car that is).,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Providing the paint on your car is original try some petrol or paint thinners on a cloth and wipe it off, it usually works for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yep thinners is good, but its makes the paint really clean, then you have to clean the rest.,lol,
    great for sticky marks aswell.,

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

As mentioned above...an abrasive polish (compound) should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Thanks for all the replies, i tried the thinners and it worked but had to wax it afterwards, but there's still one i can't get rid of, will try the compound stuff and see how it goes, again thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Before you try compound try some clay. I use Meguiars and it's great stuff, you should be able to get it in Halfords or your local motor factors. It has the consistency of putty and when you rub it on wet paintwork, all the cr@p on it will be transferred onto the clay. It works particularly well on contaminants on the paintowrk such as tar spots and is not abrasive so won't take any paint off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Hi all

Dunno if anyone is still looking at this thread but, i got some scratch repair stuff from aldi or lidl whichever, anyway point is it removed all the scratches and marks but problem is there's some marks that have gone through the paint and primer and the metal is showing. Does anyone know if i went to a motor factors with the paint code would they be able to give me a paint pen or something that i could use to touch up the bare metal bits that are showing or do i need to prime the area first or maybe just better leaving it as is ?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement