Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Rape victim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It is at least a bit of sanity in a clearly insane system.

I think it interesting that noone knows or seems to care about the male victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I just think its funny that he pardoned her while still insisting the original sentence of a good lashing and prison time was perfectly justified. Very happy for the girl though! Can't imagine how excruciatingly painful and barbaric getting whipped would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

How come nobody seems to discuss the sentence dished out to her male companion who was also gang raped and sentenced to lashes and jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

tunney wrote: »
    How come nobody seems to discuss the sentence dished out to her male companion who was also gang raped and sentenced to lashes and jail?

Well I'm not ignoring it. I wasn't aware of it tbh. Any news story I saw or read only mentioned the woman. Obviously I would strongly condemn his sentence as well. Not much I can do about it though! Write a strongly worded letter to the UN? Stop buying Saudi products? oil? Wish I could stop buying oil! Now when will they start making an affordable electric car? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So when us the US gonna make a move on this evil regime? Oh, right, never...
    The US had called the punishment "astonishing", although it refused to condemn the Saudi justice system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

psi wrote: »
    It is at least a bit of sanity in a clearly insane system.

I think it interesting that noone knows or seems to care about the male victim.

Very simple, to emphasize the misogyny in the case. Which is very clearly there, but most of the media reports have almost completely ignored the male victim or mentioned him as an after taught. Its smacks quite a bit of hypocrisy.

Anyway, thankfully there was a pardon, so I guess there is some good news. Still a long way to go however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

biko wrote: »
    So when us the US gonna make a move on this evil regime? Oh, right, never...

Which only emphasises how the US decide on foreign policy. Whatever suits themselves basically. Saudi Arabia is as bad if not worse than any of the countries in the so-called 'axis of evil', but as the biggest oil producer the US won't say a word against them. Gotta keep those gas-guzzlers on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Which only emphasises how the US decide on foreign policy. Whatever suits themselves basically.

That's different from every other country how exactly?
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia is as bad if not worse than any of the countries in the so-called 'axis of evil', but as the biggest oil producer the US won't say a word against them. Gotta keep those gas-guzzlers on the road.

I'd dispute that. Saudi Arabia (the state) certainly isn't a threat to it's neighbours or the wider world. The regime is pro-western and reformist when the mood takes them. They have very strict laws, but seemingly a lot of their own population actually want these laws. It's debatable how many actually want the house of Saud in power.. but then that's hardly unique around the world, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Moriarty wrote: »
    That's different from every other country how exactly?
    I'd dispute that. Saudi Arabia (the state) certainly isn't a threat to it's neighbours or the wider world. The regime is pro-western and reformist when the mood takes them. They have very strict laws, but seemingly a lot of their own population actually want these laws. It's debatable how many actually want the house of Saud in power.. but then that's hardly unique around the world, is it?

If most of the hijackers that killed 3000 Americans on 911 and the majority of foreign terrorists killing civilians in Iraq were from saay.. Wales, then I think the US would have a big big big problem with Wales, but its Saudi, so its fine, good friends, tally ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

jonny72 wrote: »
    If most of the hijackers that killed 3000 Americans on 911 and the majority of foreign terrorists killing civilians in Iraq were from saay.. Wales, then I think the US would have a big big big problem with Wales, but its Saudi, so its fine, good friends, tally ho.

The same guys want to over throw the Saudi royals and probably swiftly behead them. The Saudi royals are hardly best buddies with Al Qaeda, I believe they refer to the Saudi's royals as apostates and traitors.

This is not to defend the Saudi royals or anything, there not all that great themselves, but they are not Al Qaeda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, a bit of common sense in a Dark Ages ****hole. Whoopdy bleedin' doo.

One must now question why one can be convicted of being raped in SA as seems to be the case here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't believe being raped is a crime in Saudi. Certainly it doesn't apply here, as there was nobody charged with the crime that I'm aware of.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanW wrote: »
    One must now question why one can be convicted of being raped in SA as seems to be the case here.
    Her 'crime' was to be in the company of men, without having a family member present.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

An equally sensible provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Meh!

I just don't know what to say to it......

Anyone wanna play a game of "Draw a Mohammed" or name the teddy bear?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It seems to me to be typical media latching onto a story that will provoke controversy. As has already been pointed out, she was not punished for being raped, but for breaking another law. If she was caught committing that offence without being raped there would be no story.

From a general criminal justice system's point of view, it doesn't make sense to punish someone for a lesser offence where that might discourage them from making a complaint about the larger offence. If you were, for example, in possession of some drugs when you see a murder take place, you should be able to come forward with a level of immunity so that the more serious offence can be prosecuted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Considering that the penalty for rape in Saudi is beheading, it might yet be to the satisfaction of the victim to report it and take whatever lumps come for the lesser offense. Your point is taken on the more general note, though.

NTM

Advertisement