Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I dont indicate on roundabouts!

Options
  • 18-12-2007 6:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Firstly, I am only talking about small one lane mini roundabouts.

Imagine yourself stopped waiting to turn left onto a main road. A car approaches on the main road signaling to turn left onto your road. Me, I never ASSUME he will turn. He could be a muppet driving with his indicator on. I always wait to see if he's really turning, then pull out.

Now, the same scenario on the roundabout. Even if a car has indicated they are leaving the roundabout, I always wait until I can see that they are about to leave and then make my move. Now I know this will incense many of you but I think this is a safer way. I know of two people who have had accidents on roundabouts in the same situation.

I dont approach roundabouts and then floor it to get onto them. The sign says yield. My method probably slows the traffic flow down a bit.
    I've been driving over 25 years accident free, 10 of them in USA where I developed this 'habit'. I used to go on this roundabout in NY with 5 exits on it( single lane) twice a day. Not one person did I see EVER indicate on it and I thought it was a great system. You just assume the person is staying on until you see him leave, then you go.

So, next time you're heading up Glasnevin ave, keep an eye out for me and please dont shout abuse at me. I cannot be swayed.

I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion on this.:p

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you're probably going to get a few people who just circle that roundabout all day now waiting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Mordeth wrote: »
    you're probably going to get a few people who just circle that roundabout all day now waiting for you.

:D lol, good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

While I never trust the little yellow lights that some cars have and most don't I would always indicate at junctions. I got lazy a while ago and didn't indicate in housing estates till I released that was just silly.

When I was doing artic lessons my instructor had to beat me to pull out before a car indicating turned, but then I would win anyway so didn't bother me if they hit me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

All an indicator proves is the bulb works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

well simply you are obviously an idiot as to do what you are saying is breaking the law and i hate that you should always indicate just because their are some people who leave their indicator on is no excuse and of cause you should not trust it when someone comes to indicate off a roundable but basicaly what you say is that the rules of the road do not apply to you as you have been drving for 25 years perfect example of an ignorant driver who is trying to justify laziness

by the way when was the last time you even took quick look at the revised rules of the road or do they not apply to you?

great drivers and great minds a great combination!

sorry for the rant i just hate this type of stupitity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

OP if you had brains you'd be dangerous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

oleras wrote: »
    All an indicator proves is the bulb works.

Qft.

I often find the best way to interpret indicators on Irish roads is to assume the opposite to where the indicator suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Driving on public roads is about being as predictable as possible. If theres a junction ahead and you position correctly, your indicator is just further information for the driver behind you to know what you are doing.

If people follow the rules on roundabouts indicators makes sense, if they use indicators inorrectly they don't. Just because some people don't follow the rules doesn't mean you shouldn't too.

Indicators are an indication of intention, other factors such as road positioning and speed also show the direction you intend to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

OP - in your example you are saying it makes no difference if someone uses an indicator or not, and it is dangerous to rely on people indicating.

Indicating is not just for the people you are approaching, it is also for the people behind you to know that you are turning, by you taking a left without indicating you are increasing the chances of them crashing into the back of you...

If you know how to signal on a roundabout then it is safe for you to use your indicators, are you too lazy to move your hand 2 inches?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

people like the op sicken me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Idiotic or trolling.

I always indicate, try to keep to the correct lane and (usually) within the speed limit. Just because the majority are in the wrong doesn't mean I'm going to join in with the lumpen proles and their slack-jawed ineptitude....feel better now...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

time to close this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement