Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Like me ask those who have been through this process before, how many days after Microsoft sent you the "Great news, your Xbox console has been shipped!" email did they actually ship it? I got the email on Friday and its status is still "billing information received".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Bought my xbox in Nov '06

Since then it's been back to Germany twice, once for faulty DVD drive and most recently in January for RRoD.

Now the feckin DVD drive has gone again and it's out of warranty.

Is it worth my while calling and going mad and see if I can get a free repair?
    Don't know if I have the heart.

In 18 months it's broken 3 times and now I'm expected to pay for a repair as 3 year warranty only covers RRoD.
    I'm beyond disgruntled

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭I Saw Silence

Id totally ring just to check. I think mine was out of warranty when they repaired it the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Just got off the phone with them now.

Spent 10 minutes calmly explaining to a girl that the problem was a reoccurance of an old problem and I wasn't paying €65 to have it repaired as the warranty should have been extended on both previous repairs.

She kept repeating that she was sorry but there was nothing she could do for me and the charge stands. I asked for her supervisor, she put me on hold for 5 minutes and then came back to say that talking to a Team Leader would be a waste of my time as they would tell me the same. I politely asked that I be put through regardless.

On hold for 45mins before he picked up.
    He went through the same spiel, out of warranty etc, nothing he could do.
    I argued that they had a 3 year extended warranty for RRoD and the fact I'd had my xbox in for repair twice, one time for the same fault that there simply was no way I was paying for a repair - the extended warranty should be applied here. - If he could not authorise it how could I escalate this further.

He tied himself up in knots with warrantys again before giving me a ref number and will escalate on my behalf and I should call tomorrow.

Not to condident too be honest, but at least it's worth a try.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Justlikemike

A-Trak wrote: »
    On hold for 45mins before he picked up.
    Think I'm gonna be sick. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'm assuming if it's under guarantee they can replace it at the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

If it's less than a year old then yes you can get it replaced at the swap. It's falls under your statutory rights and don't let them tell you otherwise. Although in fairness to Gamestop, they replaced mine without hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

silvine wrote: »
    Although in fairness to Gamestop, they replaced mine without hassle.

Me too (twice!)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Sometimes but very rarely i turn my 360 on and it wont start and yes sometimes theres red rings involved! But up untill now i have been just unplugging it and starting again with no problems. However, now its freezing while im playing any game usually after about 20 minutes.
    Is this the RROD or some other problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Took two mins, replaced at smyths.
    Guarantee in now valid for 12 montsh from now, woot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Mine popped its red clogs there recently, not a month after the 1 year warranty had expired. So off to Microsoft website i went and got the repair order started. Did a bit of a hack job packing it up but did the job and UPS picked it up.

On the UPS site it says it was delivered 2 days ago. But on the Microsoft service tracking thing, it says they are still waiting for it to arrive. I haven't read through all of this thread, but is that normal? Perhaps it has arrived but it's in a queue to be fixed and they haven't gotten to it/opened it yet so haven't updated the service status info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I have just returned my X Box to Microsoft for the 3rd time in 18 months:(. So pi***d **f with the shoddy nature of how this is all handled.

Mr Gates is getting a reputation for creating substandard goods, Vista, X Box.

Just wondering (this may have been asked before) what's the record for most returns to Microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

I got the three red rings a few weeks ago but Microsoft refused to fix it as it had been "tampered with"...guilty!!

So I tried the x-clamp fix & it kinda worked, the three red lights are gone but my any discs I put it says "disc unplayable"...I've tried all the disc unplayable fixes that I could find but no joy.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

got the red ring a few days ago but when i turned it off and back on again it was working but freezes when the game is loading.

will i be able to get it replaced under the red ring problem even though its not doing it now?

I only have it 2 months so i could wait and see but it has never been right out of the box (froze frequently) and if i could get it replaced now i will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

^ its the same hardware fault.

the freezing without warning is the telltale sign.

the rings will be back. get on the blower to microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I only requsted the repair this week. Do ups require you to have the label in one of those pouches on the box? Can't get my hands on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I only requsted the repair this week. Do ups require you to have the label in one of those pouches on the box? Can't get my hands on one.

No they don't.

I had to send my brothers 360 off there about a week ago and I left the box open for the security inspection and handed the UPS guy the label and he just took it away as it was.

All quick and painless and it's on the way back already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

So,my baby finally packed up and died last night :( any of the numbers I try for Microsoft won't work,and I can't request it online for some reason.

so,am thinking of just buying an Arcade and sticking my HDD onto that,what do ya think?

Sesudra wrote: »
    So,my baby finally packed up and died last night :( any of the numbers I try for Microsoft won't work,and I can't request it online for some reason.

so,am thinking of just buying an Arcade and sticking my HDD onto that,what do ya think?

Don't do it. Don't give MS more money because Your current 360 died. Try it online again. You have to register the machine by seriel number at xbox.com then request a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah so I'm getting no picture and audio only, googling points to the graphics card being screwed. Is my best bet now to try and force RRoD because I'm sure as hell not paying MS to repair the replacement they sent me?

• Advertisement

Clover wrote: »
    No they don't.

I had to send my brothers 360 off there about a week ago and I left the box open for the security inspection and handed the UPS guy the label and he just took it away as it was.

All quick and painless and it's on the way back already :D

did you bring it to a drop off centre or phone them to come pick it up?

did you bring it to a drop off centre or phone them to come pick it up?

i phoned them to pick it up from my house .

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

see,the thing is,haven't gotten the red lights,but on Saturday night my games just started freezing,out of no where.tried a couple of different discs,all the same.the lights still stay green and it starts again fine once I reboot it.rang Microsoft there and they said to remove the HDD and try it again.anyone else have the same problem?

Sesudra wrote: »
    see,the thing is,haven't gotten the red lights,but on Saturday night my games just started freezing,out of no where.tried a couple of different discs,all the same.the lights still stay green and it starts again fine once I reboot it.rang Microsoft there and they said to remove the HDD and try it again.anyone else have the same problem?

that's how mine started. Give it a while. The red lights will appear if the freezes keep happening. Mine was freezing for 3 weeks before they showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

NOOOooooooo
    My xbox died :( but I called to get it repaired, but they are asking me for money as I am not the registered owner, (bought it from a Boardie). So trying to get in touch with him and see if he can register the fault and have it repaired.

Think its a stupid policy but not alot I can do. Wouldn't be bothered paying 100 euro to get it fixed, would pref to just buy a new arcade one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Got the red lights after 18 months. Bought forza 2 last week and played it ok for about 30 mins. Restarted and the picture kept on freezing and then the dreaded lights came. However i stuck in euro 2008 and vegas2 and they played fine. I presumed the fault was just with the disc so i exchanged it and the new forza2 opened up to the menu and froze again and now the console gets the red lights on any game. I checked a few sites and it seems there was quite an issue with forza causing problems with the console. Anyone else have it happen to them with forza?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

hey everyone...got a used xbox in gamestop a year ago but last december it showed the red lights....brought it back to gamestop and they gave another used one...yesterday it showed the lights again...brought it down there but they say that i need to get it fixed by MS...but how???i got a USED xbox and the sticker was ripped off,i.e.warranty is voided...any advices??
    just thinking to call into gamestop again on monday,coz the lad i was asking yesterday was a prick and didnt look being too intrested in solving my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Hi, just a quick question I register my xbox to be repaired an got sent the email with a link for the label you attach to the box But was just busy at work for 2 weeks so now I try to click on the link an it won't come up What does this "label" consist of? Is it just a tracking number I have an 18 digit code in the email
    Thanks

you will need to request a repair again , as the ups code has to be used within ten days .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Clover wrote: »
    you will need to request a repair again , as the ups code has to be used within ten days .

Cheers Another request it is

Advertisement