Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

so my 14yr old lands home from holidays with an xbox courtesy of me brother and monday evening red lights appear - not very happy at all.

so have had a look here, got the serial no and registered online and also reported the fault with them - so now waiting on labels for ups, however the xbox was bought of ebay - how can i check that no-one tampered with it themselves - it wasnt already registered on xbox and the warranty is up nov 2007.

the last thing i need is another bill coming through the door.

could kill my bro - my son has a ps2 for i dont know how long and never had any problems with it ever. mad to sell it along with about 50 games but am reluctant.

will go home after work and have a look at the xbox and hopefully no-one was messing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sesudra wrote: »
    yup,happened to me too,as far as I know the online repair request isn't available here yet.so you'll have to call up Microsoft

I used it on Saturday, console was collected today.

got labels by email this morning, rang ups and have booked collection for sometime today, thankfully have console with me so can be picked up from my workplace.

thanks for all the advice

ups just collected my xbox so here counting! and hoping it is sorted as will never hear the end of it with my son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

heya lads quick question i got the rrod repaired just after halo 3 came out last september. my new one went again today but technically its out of warranty( bought my first at release but have had 3 so far) do i get an extra warranty since microsoft only sent me a brand new one 12 months ago

• Advertisement

There's a 3 year warranty on RRoD so you should be fine.

My first console died after 10 months, the replacement died 11 months later (last month) my replacement was despatched today and it's warranty is good until December 30th 08. I'm guessing they don't even test the consoles because they only recieved it yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

not sure if my problem is covered by this i got online and the x-box updated something on the console then shut down showing E71 on screen and advising to contact microsoft, it also shows rrod. only have it a few days got it in argos for €169.99, should i bring it back to argos for replacement or send it to microsoft?

Bring it back to Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

mine is a 20 gig bought it in may got rrod there last night called gamestop this afternoon, bloke on phone says cant be exchanged because they only have 60gig versions as do all other shops in dublin, am i entitled to cash back or is there anything i can do so i dont have to wait the 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I brought a 360 back to gamestop before and they swaped it for a new one i was asked if i wanted to keep my old harddrive or if i wanted a new harddrive as well so you should be able to get a new xbox and keep your harddrive and they can keep the 60 gig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

SNL wrote: »
    mine is a 20 gig bought it in may got rrod there last night called gamestop this afternoon, bloke on phone says cant be exchanged because they only have 60gig versions as do all other shops in dublin, am i entitled to cash back or is there anything i can do so i dont have to wait the 3 weeks.

there's no way I would put up with that your console is only five months old , do you still have the receipt ?.

have a look Here and "Submit a Consumer Complaint" or ring the number on the page for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

tell them to just put the 60gb hard drive on your faulty console and give you the new one with your 20gb on it. thats what they do in game

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

I'll try and keep it short.

Haven't played my 360 since GTA4.

3 days ago I loaded up Gears for a game. Went fine, like normal.

Today when I went to play there was no picture or sound and my Samsung LE40M87 had the message 'Mode not supported'. Now I havent done anything to my T.V since it was playing fine, no firmware updates nothing, I didn't touch the 360 either.

My 360 is connected via the HD component cable that came with it btw. I also tried using just the AV connection(yellow, red, white) and no luck either.

I then connected my 360 to an old SDTV and I could hear sound from the dash but no picture(and yes the 360 was switched to 'TV' on the plug).

I tried resetting the 360 but had no luck and since it was working fine 3 days ago I think it might be something more severe. Had it since December '06.

Tried it again today and same deal, sound/no picture(Yes i reseted and unplugged everything for 25 minutes etc)

So under the warranty I am out as i don't have the RROD. But I was wondering if I just brought my 360 back to HMV and told them it RROD'd. . Or my older brother to be more exact as he tends to get refunds etc whereas I usually accept the crap stores give me.

Like the OP said they are entitled to etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I got the RROD yesterday evening.

It lasted a long time. Was bought the 20-01-06 and manufactured in Dec 2005.

My luck had to run out some time I guess. :(

I'm going to try and get it sorted out straight away so I'll be sure to have it in time for the X-mas period.

SNL wrote: »

that bloke is talkin out his bum. i got the ring of death on an xbox bought in gamestop one year to the day after i bought it. i returned it immediately and told the dude at the counter that i wanted to keep the hard-drive as all my info/saves were on it. not a problem, he just swapped the hard-drives from the broke one to the good one. if this guy is telling you that you cant exchange your broken xbox because its a different memory size, tell him you only want to return the actual xbox so the memory size is irrelevant. try em again or else speak to the manager.

Got my console back this evening and was quite surprised to find out that's it my actual console. They fixed it and sent it back, I thought I'd have gotten some other refurb. Apparently my DVD drive was knackered as well as my mobo, strange that I didn't have any bother at all from the drive, ah well, it has been replaced now anyway.

How quick are they repaired and sent back to you?

I'm in Dublin 5.

Takes about 2 weeks.

Makaveli wrote: »
    Takes about 2 weeks.

k thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Franko73

For anybody who does not want to send their xbox back to Microsoft I provide a red ring repair service with a 1 day turnaround for 50euro. Many happy customers...

www.xbox360repair.741.com

• Advertisement

Rang the support line today. Told me I had to supply a box myself for the delivery people, no coffin then sent to you? Is this normal? Need to find a cardboard box now.

I also asked for the labels to be posted to me, bad idea I think now, it'll probably take forever :( Should I call them back and ask for them to email me the labels?

Double post sry

Can you call the support again and ask them to send the labels via email as I think asking for them to be posted to me will take forever.

Is it possible for them to do this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Was setting up my xbox the last day. Just had it plugged in and not connected to the tv and I turned it on and a circle of red lights around the on button came on. It wasn’t flashing or anything. So I just turned it off and hooked it up to the tv and turned it on again and its going fine now. Is my xbox on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Vain wrote: »
    Was setting up my xbox the last day. Just had it plugged in and not connected to the tv and I turned it on and a circle of red lights around the on button came on. It wasn’t flashing or anything. So I just turned it off and hooked it up to the tv and turned it on again and its going fine now. Is my xbox on the way out?

If it was full circle i.e. the 4 red lights, that is usually due to the av cable not being plugged in correctly.

Damn the UPS guy came today while I was at college, this after ringing Microsoft on Saturday. He left a label, about A4 size. Now what do I do? Ring back UPS and reschedule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Chucky4celtic

Cully wrote: »
    Also... if for some reason you've opened your Xbox and voided your warranty (and therefore can't send it to MS), there is a guy here in ireland who'll fix it for you.. (cheap enough I think)...

www.modchipsireland.com

its not that hard to fix but i have worked with motherboards in the past fixing various probs so i do no how to fix it and will charge less that other people out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Oh yeah playing condemmened there got it on the cheap screen went strange all colours hard to make out and then red ring o death this is my 3RD fecking xbox gave me replacements last two times have the console since release
    Ah tis an annoyance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Well finally got the rings at the weekend just over a year since I bought so I rang Microsoft and got the ball rolling, relatively pain free, then I rang UPS and the girl asked me if I had any specific instructions for the driver and, seeing as I live a few miles outside of the middle of nowhere and my house would be very hard to find without proper directions, I told her that I would probably need to direct the driver myself to which she replied "You do know that our drivers don't talk to our clients don't you?" I said ok and then asked how is he going to find my house, she said she can write down any specific instructions for the driver to follow, I then gave her the directions to my house and when I had finished she said she only had enough room to enter about six words of directions??? I told her this guy aint gonna find my house and she replied "oh but they have GPS". My house isn't going to be on any GPS system, so unless these are some sort of magical, pyschic UPS men then come Wednesday night my xbox is still going to be in my possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

*edit*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

This happened me about 2 weeks ago and firstly I asked them to send a courier with the labels which I was told they would be there within 5 days.

The 5 days came and went with no sign of the courier. When I rang back, they told me that the labels were delivered to my address, which could not have been the case as I live in the sticks and I would have to give directions to where I live. So they put in a fresh order this time with the labels being labelled to me.

I am now panicking as you have all said that the labels take weeks to be sent to you. I hope I have it back for chrimbo or else I will be seriously p*ssed off.

I will ring them again tomorrow to see what is going on

Advertisement