Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

[/QUOTE]I've had the exact same thing happe, same dates and everything...funny that. My mfr date is 16-10-08. Thank God[/QUOTE]

Ok lads the Brand new Xbox i got on thursday as a replacement seems to be another dud. I was playing Tiger Woods 09 and it just started freezing. The game was brand new and had no scratches on it at all. So i rang up again to tell them i got a piece of sh!t as a replacement and the problems i was having.

They ran through the troubleshooting with me and asked the usual questions like is the game scratched to which i replied "no it's brand new with not a mark on it". Then he said i'd get another brand new Xbox as a replacement and that was arranged over the phone.

After the call i took the game out to put it back in its box and i noticed it was scratched pretty badly.(now before anyone asks, the Xbox wasn't moved while it was on or anything and the disk was in properly) I did noticed this console was louder than my old one and making the disk startup type noises during the gameplay which i now know was the game getting scratched.

I rang again when i noticed this with my reference no. in hand and told them what happened. I was told they don't make the game so i would have to go to EA to get it fixed.
    I emailed EA and they want me to pay £10 plus postage and send it to GB to get it fixed. Now i know it's not much but i don't think i should have to pay to get it fixed as it wasn't my fault. I tried telling MS this but they didn't want to know.

Should i ring MS again and get them to sort out a new game/fix mine for me as it was the replacement Xbox that caused it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

My xbos is suffering from the Rod problem so i resgitered on mircosoft to check my warranty.It expired november of 07,just wondering since there's an extended warranty for the Rod problem am i still covered and whats the standard warranty on a xbox360?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Yep they said it would be down till the 6th i think.

I sent my Xbox away on the 20 October and got a brand new one today, its says-mfr date 20-06-08. This was only the 1st time i got any faults wit my Xbox and they sent me out a new one instead of a repair, Did this happen with anyone else?
    I got mine back today. Manufacturing date is 12/09/2008. Weird thing is, there's no HDMI port...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thing is, they may have stock of the old 360's left, the pre hdmi models, and the easiest way to get rid of them might be to send them out as replacements. only a theory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mossym wrote: »
    thing is, they may have stock of the old 360's left, the pre hdmi models, and the easiest way to get rid of them might be to send them out as replacements. only a theory
    It's weird that the manufacturing date is so recent though. Putting new stickers on old/refurbed stock is a little strange.

• Advertisement

sorry, that was my point, they may have had unassembled boards and cases around that didn't warrant shipping to the stores, and are just assembling them now for warranty replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Just got mine back..they sent me a new one :D
    MFR August 08

No hdmi though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah thats what they are doing say you had a launch 360 or pre-hdmi 360, they are fitting these with codename Opus motherboards which are made to fit into the lauch or Xenon cases. So you are getting a new motherboard that was designed for the pre-Hdmi 360's.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Just had my 360 collected there by UPS, hopefully it will be no more than 3 weeks getting it back.

am i being a bit wishful or is that realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Soft wrote: »
    Just had my 360 collected there by UPS, hopefully it will be no more than 3 weeks getting it back.

Previously I would have said yes - i waited a month and a half one time.... However, I sent mine off Wednesday two weeks ago, and UPS have it down for delivery back to me tomorrow, so just a 2 week turnaround door to door.

• Advertisement

Mr Soft wrote: »

Got mine back yesterday after 17 days

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Thats not too bad so.

cheers for the replies

yeah thats what they are doing say you had a launch 360 or pre-hdmi 360, they are fitting these with codename Opus motherboards which are made to fit into the lauch or Xenon cases. So you are getting a new motherboard that was designed for the pre-Hdmi 360's.

Are the opus any less likely to crap out??
    My replacement also has the benq dvd drive....a bit quieter than the Samsung drive my old xbox had:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I tried to fix my xbox tonight. Took it apart, replaced the heatsink gel etc. No joy =(

Actually, I gave it another shot and it works now. It's a pretty simple process, just those x-clamps are a fecking pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Got 'mine' back today - they sent me a brand new conole (manufacturing date 12-09-2008). the letter sent with it mentions the console and warranty being registered for me by MS - does this mean my new console has a new 3 year RROD warranty?

got xbox in April, red ringed on me yesterday. I have receipt, can i get it replaced?

edit: they just gave me a new one with bigger hd:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

oeb wrote: »
    I tried to fix my xbox tonight. Took it apart, replaced the heatsink gel etc. No joy =(

Actually, I gave it another shot and it works now. It's a pretty simple process, just those x-clamps are a fecking pain.

It red-ringed again =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone used a local repair to get it fixed (ie the guy in wolftone square bray)?
    and if so how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

anyone used a local repair to get it fixed (ie the guy in wolftone square bray)?
    and if so how much did it cost?
    has anyone got a number for this guy in bray, just bought a second hand one today and its ringed so i might try him as warranty wont cover me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

thanks dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lunar_Wolf

I got the dreaded red lights. Curse Microsoft. I got a number to send it off for a repair, but it takes like a few weeks for your console to return.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jel

I got the RROD on my 11 month old Xbox.
    I tried to return it to my local xtra vision but they didn't want anything to do with it although I still had my receipt.
    The attitude of the manager was appalling and for the sake of 1 Xbox they've lost a customer.
    He didn't even realise there was a 3 year warranty on the RROD and claimed that after 28 days it's nothing to do with xtra vision.
    I called Microsoft and it's currently on its way to Germany for repair.
    Has anyone had any success getting a refund or replacement from xtra vision?

I suffered the 3 red rings today. I purchased the xbox off xtravision last december so it is still under warranty.

After doing some research I realised that the shop must take it off you in this situation and offer a repair, replacement or refund. When I rang the xtra vision store they refused to take the xbox back and they insisted that I contact Microsoft.

Instead I filled out an application on the small claims court website. It costs 15 euros and you simply have to give your name, the business' name +address and the claim details. I used them before with Canon and they were excellent. Well worth 15 euros and remember the law states the seller must resolve a faulty item if it's within the first year.

Lunar_Wolf wrote: »
    I got the dreaded red lights. Curse Microsoft. I got a number to send it off for a repair, but it takes like a few weeks for your console to return.:mad:

had mine back inside two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Tweeter

Got the dreaded RROD on Saturday morning last. Xbox is about 8 months old but with flashed firmware so couldn't send it back to microsoft for repair as warranty is void now. My son was in tears (I nearly was myself for that matter).

Thought about giving the guy in Bray a call to drop it into him for repair. However after looking around on the web for a while I discovered the x-clamp fix. Off to Woodies for a few bolts and washers and then a tube of thermal compound in PC World. Was back up and running by dinner time. Had the machine on for a solid 7 hours that evening and a few hours last night and all is ok. Would highly recommend attempting this fix yourself. For a few euro you can have your machine up and running yourself in less than a couple of hours and not be without it for a few weeks by sending it to Microsoft.

Needless to say my son was well made up after we'd managed the repair the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mine went kaput after what I would say is 6 months or so of very light use. It's a little under two years old now so I can't bring it back to the shop. I have tried to register my 360 online but keep getting some error message that advises me to ring support. I rang the 1800 number yesterday to be told they had a techical problem and to ring back in a few hours. I rang again today - guess what - same bull 'we have a technical problem ring back in a few hours' Arrrghh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jel

It's an absolute disaster isn't it, especially around xmas time.

Has anyone had a successful refund or replacement from the shop they purchased it from, and if so what was the shop???

jel wrote: »
    It's an absolute disaster isn't it, especially around xmas time.

Has anyone had a successful refund or replacement from the shop they purchased it from, and if so what was the shop???

gamestop replaced mine without any argument. it broke down EXACTLY one year to the day after i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tweeter wrote: »
    Got the dreaded RROD on Saturday morning last. Xbox is about 8 months old but with flashed firmware so couldn't send it back to microsoft for repair as warranty is void now. My son was in tears (I nearly was myself for that matter).

Thought about giving the guy in Bray a call to drop it into him for repair. However after looking around on the web for a while I discovered the x-clamp fix. Off to Woodies for a few bolts and washers and then a tube of thermal compound in PC World. Was back up and running by dinner time. Had the machine on for a solid 7 hours that evening and a few hours last night and all is ok. Would highly recommend attempting this fix yourself. For a few euro you can have your machine up and running yourself in less than a couple of hours and not be without it for a few weeks by sending it to Microsoft.

Needless to say my son was well made up after we'd managed the repair the same day.

Just bare in mind this is only a temp fix for these once they red ring they'll go again might be in a week or 2 months they will go again none of the Red ring fixes are 100% unless you get them re-balled which would cost more then a new console, so start saving if I where you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 the mighty elk

jel wrote: »
    I suffered the 3 red rings today. I purchased the xbox off xtravision last december so it is still under warranty.

After doing some research I realised that the shop must take it off you in this situation and offer a repair, replacement or refund. When I rang the xtra vision store they refused to take the xbox back and they insisted that I contact Microsoft.

Instead I filled out an application on the small claims court website. It costs 15 euros and you simply have to give your name, the business' name +address and the claim details. I used them before with Canon and they were excellent. Well worth 15 euros and remember the law states the seller must resolve a faulty item if it's within the first year.

I agree.I applied to the small claims court too.Xtra-vision shouldn't be allowed to treat customers in this way.Considering gamestop will replace your xbox on the spot.
    I sent the xbox back to microsoft and they replaced the motherboard.So at least it's working fine.........for a few more months at least.:)

Advertisement