Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jel

I agree.I applied to the small claims court too.Xtra-vision shouldn't be allowed to treat customers in this way.Considering gamestop will replace your xbox on the spot.
    I sent the xbox back to microsoft and they replaced the motherboard.So at least it's working fine.........for a few more months at least.:)

How come you still went back to Microsoft after going to the small claims court? Surely the small claims would have demanded that xtra vision sort the problem out rather than you?

From the sounds of it Microsoft wont deal with anyone except the customer, so I'm hoping that xtra vision have no other option but to give me a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

I have a ps3 and an xbox 360 and im dreading the day i get the rrod.
    Can anyone tell me if theres any way to help it from happening because my years warranty is almost over :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Keep it well ventilated. If it's in an entertainment centre, keep the doors open, or take it out all together.

BTW, the Microsoft warranty is 3 years for RROD, and 2 years for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 the mighty elk

jel wrote: »
    How come you still went back to Microsoft after going to the small claims court? Surely the small claims would have demanded that xtra vision sort the problem out rather than you?

From the sounds of it Microsoft wont deal with anyone except the customer, so I'm hoping that xtra vision have no other option but to give me a replacement or refund.

I applied to take xtra-vision to the small claims court but I still called microsoft directly about my xbox.It took 2 weeks to get it back from Germany.
    Microsoft will deal with anyone it doesn't matter to them.All xtra-vision offered to do was call microsoft for me.Best of luck going back to xtra-vision but their customer service and knowledge about the RROD issue in the store I purchased from was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Tweeter

Just bare in mind this is only a temp fix for these once they red ring they'll go again might be in a week or 2 months they will go again none of the Red ring fixes are 100% unless you get them re-balled which would cost more then a new console, so start saving if I where you.

Well I'll let you know how it goes and if it does happen again.
    For the record I did use the improved x-clamp fix i.e. putting little pieces of cut out credit card around each of the chips before bolting the heat syncs back on, so maybe that improves the chances of a lasting fix.
    Fingers crossed and if it breaks down again, I'll come back and let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I got the RROD and sent it to microsoft. Covered under the 3 year warranty for the RROD. They sent me back a new xbox, one manufactured in August 08 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Launch console bought in December 2005 and worked perfectly until tonight.
    In fact I've posted in the forum many times that it worked when people were doing surveys on RROD

Failed tonight :(
    Just inside the 3 year limit so should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I used to work for Xtravision... useless bunch of twats when it comes down to it.

We received no training whatsoever on consumer electronics (Xbox) repair, I had my xbox die twice and I brought it back to the shop where I got it (The shop I friggin worked in btw) and my managers wouldn't do a goddamn thing.

Xtravision only sell things, no point going to them about anything unless it's within 28 days of purchase and you have the receipt.:rolleyes:

You're better off just dealing with Microsoft themselves. I had to...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jel

I used to work for Xtravision... useless bunch of twats when it comes down to it.

We received no training whatsoever on consumer electronics (Xbox) repair, I had my xbox die twice and I brought it back to the shop where I got it (The shop I friggin worked in btw) and my managers wouldn't do a goddamn thing.

Xtravision only sell things, no point going to them about anything unless it's within 28 days of purchase and you have the receipt.:rolleyes:

You're better off just dealing with Microsoft themselves. I had to...

Yep I get ya but...

The point is if you go down the legal route xtravision have to either replace it, refund it or get it repaired. That's the law, no getting out of it. I've heard that even when MS send it back to ya it can still be fooked. In this case if you have gone via xtravision they have to give ya a refund or a replacement, another repair is no longer applicable.

If you dont go via the seller and MS send you out an xbox that fooks up again, you have no option but to ask for another repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Got my 360 back yesterday (26/11/08) having sent it off to Microsoft on the 11/11/08. So 15 days for a return.

Not bad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My 360 today celebrated it's second birthday by getting it's second RRoD; look at all the pretty red lights! Now it's getting a nice trip to Germany as a surprise gift - just made the call, labels on the way, it will be the property of gamestop as soon as it comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

RROD today :(

How do i get the game out ? :confused: tray wont open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm curious to know if the RROD apply just to the "older" model 360 or can the "newer" model "Elite" get this problem also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

dreamers75 wrote: »
    RROD today :(

How do i get the game out ? :confused: tray wont open

Take the face plate and use "emergency eject". Just stick something long and thin (toothpick, paperclip) into one of the holes. You should see white lever in that hole. Tray will open.

Console has to be turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

docentore wrote: »
    Take the face plate and use "emergency eject". Just stick something long and thin (toothpick, paperclip) into one of the holes. You should see white lever in that hole. Tray will open.

Console has to be turned off

cheers that did the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

OK my friends xbox has the 3 red lights,He's had it for a year and a bit and took it back to where he got it,Smythes and they said no can do!Go back to xbox are they right,does he have too?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I got E74 tonight. B0ll0x! So... took out all the cables for a while and that didn't work.

The unit is 2 years and 3 months old but I don't have the receipt for it.

What should i do?

m83 wrote: »
    I got E74 tonight. B0ll0x! So... took out all the cables for a while and that didn't work.

The unit is 2 years and 3 months old but I don't have the receipt for it.

What should i do?

Heatgunning is the only way to fix it. You might do xclamp replacement as well.
    I did that on my console and it works. Just make sure you follow the guide and isolate properly all the parts, I didn't and had to change all the capacitors. But it works now. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Thanks a lot man! I'll try that this week.

good luck. And read guide twice or three times, isolate properly and DO NOT extend heating time. If it won't work for the first time, try once more.

I still have some capacitors left if you'll blow yours ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Anyone know how long on average it takes for the Xbox360 to be returned? Mines was collected around 2 or 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Smegball wrote: »
    Anyone know how long on average it takes for the Xbox360 to be returned? Mines was collected around 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I sent mine this day 3 weeks ago and got it returned today.

They didnt fix mine instead they sent me out a replacement Xbox 360 but the noise of the fan is horribly loud!! WTF? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lads, how long in general does it take to receive the labels via e-mail?

i don't remember it taking this long last time. i called on Friday and i got the service confirmation email but still no sign of the followup label e-mail yet. the 360 has been sitting here funked for 5 days (fekin weekend in the way) and it hasn't even begun it's voyage of rejuvenation yet, wreck the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

theteal wrote: »
    lads, how long in general does it take to receive the labels via e-mail?

i don't remember it taking this long last time. i called on Friday and i got the service confirmation email but still no sign of the followup label e-mail yet. the 360 has been sitting here funked for 5 days (fekin weekend in the way) and it hasn't even begun it's voyage of rejuvenation yet, wreck the head!

The labels usually arrive within an hours or so but they say 24hours maximum so I think its time you give them another call!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Help!

Our xbox has been like this for around a month, and I dont know what to do!

I bought it last January from GameStop but it was a second hand model and I have no idea where the reciept is.

What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Help!

I bought it last January from GameStop but it was a second hand model and I have no idea where the reciept is.

What should I do?

You dont actually need a receipt. Just ring up Xbox(microsoft) and they'll ask you for your serial number, if its younger than 3 years you get it fixed for free (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Help!

What should I do?

The 2nd hand machines from gamestop come with a 1 year warranty. Take it back to them even though you don't have a reciept they might details of it on their system......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

gamestop replaced mine without any argument. it broke down EXACTLY one year to the day after i bought it.

Did you have a reciept for yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Help!

What should I do?

OK, an update on this...

I contacted Microsoft and they couldn't do anything for me bacause the machine was reg'd to the previous owner and I had no proof of purchase.

So I went into Gamestop and he said he could look back through the records but as I only had about a 3 month range of when I bought it in my mind, that wasnt really feasible.

But, I found a reciept for a controller that I purchased the same day as the xbox. So I went back in and he found the transaction in no time and replaced the xbox there and then!

Must say Im very happy and big thumbs up to Gamestop too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

right im seriously pissed off. Rang xbox crowd today as finally got the three red lights. Thinking it would be a simple give us your details and well send a fella out to pick it up....no ive recieved these so called label things from this ups crowd.

Firstly what ****ing labels do I print off? Theres a reciept one and there seems to be this other one which I cant even make out what it says!

Can anyone put it simply what ive to do as im ****n annoyed at this stage.

Is there only two things you print off? The reciept which you keep and a returns label?

Advertisement