Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

my xbox is out of warrenty so does anyone know how much it costs to get it fixed. do microsoft cover the cost of ups?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Im seriously pissed off now. Just after checking my emails and ive got two emails (both the same) from microsoft saying that they have recieved my repair request but have not yet recieved the console.

"if it goes over 30 days my order will be cancelled".

Yet to the same email address on the 23rd i got an email from them saying my console arrived at their repair centre. What a bunch of incompetent idiots.Seriously pissed off.

Anyone else suffer this sort of ****e? Hope their offices are open tomorrow. Im gunna be rippin....

All this and yet last week i went to the bother of ringing microsoft asking my when i log in id no console registered to me and when inputting my service number it said it didnt exist. Your man of course said oh that will be updated in a few days....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I have just gotten the 3 red lights...I bought my Xbox 360 elite last year on the day they released in XTRA Game, I still have my receipt, Will they change the Xbox for a new one on the spot?

And if they refuse, What can i tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

joe123 wrote: »
    Im seriously pissed off now. Just after checking my emails and ive got two emails (both the same) from microsoft saying that they have recieved my repair request but have not yet recieved the console.

Yet to the same email address on the 23rd i got an email from them saying my console arrived at their repair centre. What a bunch of incompetent idiots.Seriously pissed off.

Anyone else suffer this sort of ****e?

i've gotten 2 of the same "we still havent received your console" mails last week but my console arrived back here on the 23rd fixed so i don't know what to make of that. i reckon you should just check the UPS tracking number to see where your console actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Anyone else suffer this sort of ****e? Hope their offices are open tomorrow. Im gunna be rippin....

All this and yet last week i went to the bother of ringing microsoft asking my when i log in id no console registered to me and when inputting my service number it said it didnt exist. Your man of course said oh that will be updated in a few days....:mad:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. From working in customer service for a place myself, I'd imagine those emails are automated and sent all the time. At the end of the day if you want to know whats going on just ring the helpdesk, but please be polite they are just doing their job :P
    Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I have just gotten the 3 red lights...I bought my Xbox 360 elite last year on the day they released in XTRA Game, I still have my receipt, Will they change the Xbox for a new one on the spot?

And if they refuse, What can i tell them?

If it was over one year ago you won't get a replacement as it is out of warranty. You'll need to go through Microsoft as they have their own 3 year warranty for 3 red lights. For more info, read the first page of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Ah Crap, have my xbox 3 years. Turned it on and guess what was staring at me........... 3 red rings! Not a happy camper and had just bought my self guitar heroas well. Couldn't be bothered sending it back to microsoft so just bought a new one and put in my hard drive!

Thought i'd get away with never seeing the red rings :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

Got my RROD this evening while playing COD WAW. It made a "sparking" noise, then shut down, when i restarted it i saw the red lights (3). Tried several times to get it going again to get the disc out but no joy. Due to all the great info in this thread i knew exactly what to do regarding contacting MS. Was impressed with the customer service, i was expecting a nightmare due to the experiences of other Boardies i read about in this thread but all went ok. UPS will collect tomorrow apparently so hopefully i'll have it back soon.

My HDMI (Elite) port has never worked since day 1 so i've asked them to sort that out too.

I was hoping i'd never be posting in this thread:(

Rang xbox crowd today asking what the story was with those emails. Turns out it was an error. He gave me a ups tracking number and it turns out my xbox is fixed and has been shipped 29/12. Have to say their service over the phone has been very good.

How long am I looking at now seeing as its been shipped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Rang xbox crowd today asking what the story was with those emails. Turns out it was an error. He gave me a ups tracking number and it turns out my xbox is fixed and has been shipped 29/12. Have to say their service over the phone has been very good.

How long am I looking at now seeing as its been shipped?
    You may have it before the end of the week or early next week at a guess.

Bah my xbox just got its 2nd RROD after been fixed about 6 month ago load of crap.

Well looks like itl be next week now so. They dont deliver on saturdays do they? The journey of the package back is alot longer than the one sent there. It went from shannon straight to germany. The return journey its getting sent all over the place! I want to play Fifa!!!:mad:

TAMWORTH,
    GB 01/01/2009 19:09 ARRIVAL SCAN
    BARKING,
    GB 31/12/2008 15:44 ARRIVAL SCAN
    BRUSSELS,
    BE 31/12/2008 6:42 DEPARTURE SCAN
    31/12/2008 6:35 ARRIVAL SCAN
    FRANKFURT,
    DE 31/12/2008 1:40 DEPARTURE SCAN
    FRANKFURT,
    DE 30/12/2008 17:49 ORIGIN SCAN
    DE 29/12/2008 0:34 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mine just died. :(

Think I may still be within the three years as I think I bought it around the beginning of '06. But might still pick another one up anyway if I spot any Arcade ones going cheap in the mean time and then give the returned one to the brother when it re-appears.

since my last post the only update to the tracking of my xbox has been

a departure scan at Tamworth on 3/01/09.

There has been no movement since.I was sure id look at it today and see a delivered in Shannon or something. If I ring ups to see what the story is with my xbox will they just type the tracking code into their website and get the same result as me or do they have a more in depth system?

This is taking ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mickswizard

Hi guys,

I'd like to rant about my Xbox 360 experience. Got one for xmas last week an I only got a chance to have an evening playing it last night, although I had played it sporadically over the last week. (CoD4:MW ROCKS) So I turned it on and lo and behold, the RRoD. I didn't realise how bad a situation I had on my hands until I read this thread. I had heard of problems with the Xbox 360 but I thought any company worth their salt would have the kinks ironed out after three years. Also, my uncle and my brother both have had theirs for two years with no problems. This is anecdotal evidence of the one in three theory of 360 failure rates.

I can't believe how common this problem is. In this the day and age. I'll be getting my new one in gamestop, henry st. tomorrow and I'm willing to suffer two more RRoDs before jumping ship to the PS3. So there you have it. If you buy an Xbox 360 today you have just as much chance of seeing the RRoD as you did if you bought one on release.

Hi guys,

I'd like to rant about my Xbox 360 experience. Got one for xmas last week an I only got a chance to have an evening playing it last night, although I had played it sporadically over the last week. (CoD4:MW ROCKS) So I turned it on and lo and behold, the RRoD. I didn't realise how bad a situation I had on my hands until I read this thread. I had heard of problems with the Xbox 360 but I thought any company worth their salt would have the kinks ironed out after three years. Also, my uncle and my brother both have had theirs for two years with no problems. This is anecdotal evidence of the one in three theory of 360 failure rates.

I can't believe how common this problem is. In this the day and age. I'll be getting my new one in gamestop, henry st. tomorrow and I'm willing to suffer two more RRoDs before jumping ship to the PS3. So there you have it. If you buy an Xbox 360 today you have just as much chance of seeing the RRoD as you did if you bought one on release.

Theres a thread on this forum about jasper models of xbox 360s. Have a read of that before you get your new model. Basically its the latest version xboxs and is supposedly ALOT less likely to get RROD and is also supposedly quiter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The date on the back of mine is 20th of september 2008 so I'm hoping its one of the "jasper" ones, according to the internet they are supposed to be fairly decent and possibly alot less likely to get RROD. Dunno how ot find out if it is "jasper" or not though. Ah well its running grand so Im happy for now.

Theres a thread on this forum about jasper models of xbox 360s. Have a read of that before you get your new model. Basically its the latest version xboxs and is supposedly ALOT less likely to get RROD and is also supposedly quiter.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd never have known that otherwise. I checked it out. The number on my Xbox is 0834 and the manufacturing date was 18/08/08.
    It has a 12v power supply. Is that a Jasper?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it's got a 150W power supply then it is definately a Jasper. I got a replacement at the weekend with a lot number of 851, manufacture date of 10-10-2008 and a 175W power supply so it might be a jasper, but I'm not certain.

I checked that, I've got a 175w power supply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

My Halo Edition one died yesterday.

I wonder if I'll get a Halo one back or something different.... Elite maybe? :D

I checked that, I've got a 175w power supply too.

The 175W power supply means that it is at least a newer model than the one that I'm about to box up now which came with a 200W supply. That has a manufacture date of 2006-02-08 so it has only just died before the 3 years were up.

• Advertisement

Having read about this I'm not going to accept anything but a 150w model. I think we have the falcon and your original one was the Xeon (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Random1 wrote: »
    no chance unfortunately

Well, I chanced my arm and it worked! The manager in Zavvi replaced my Xbox due to "the time of the year". Nice guy and fair play to him because he didn't have to do that so I am very grateful. I forgot I bought lips 360 and the Indy/Panda bundle so there would have been some disappointed kids on Christmas morning.

I know that there are design / manufacturing flaws in the Xbox that give the RROD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems so I don't want to have a third faulty Xbox. Am I doing something which I shouldn't be with it? As a best practice, how should you care for a 360 apart from the obvious? I noticed a couple of things when the other two 360's had problems.

1. I very rarely unplugged the console from the power socket so the power supply light was always on.

2. One 360 sat under a PS3 while the other one sat on top of a Sky plus box. The sky box was always on and it might have contributed to overheating the Xbox. The PS3 was not on all the time but would be on for long periods.

3. There was adequate venting on the back but not at the sides of both boxes. I have the new 360 on it's own shelf with plenty of vent space. I also unplug it when it's not in use. Too early to tell if this makes any difference whatsoever but might be worth a try. Will certainly reduce your ESB bill in any event :pac:

Interested to see if anyone else with a RROD had it plugged in all the time or had it near another heat source?

Got my new one there. It's not a jasper (guy just switched the consoles, even gave me back my hard drive) but I'm happy enough. If I get RRoD again I will be demanding a jasper. Further RRoDs will make me swtich to the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd never have known that otherwise. I checked it out. The number on my Xbox is 0834 and the manufacturing date was 18/08/08.
    It has a 12v power supply. Is that a Jasper?

How to tell a Jasper model is in the amps output by the power supply. If its 12.1A its a Jasper, if its higher then 12.1A (eg 14.2A), its not.

More info here: http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper-ben-heck-dissects-the-mythical-consol/
    (scroll down if you wanna skip all the technical stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I have my 360 Elite just over a year now, and monday it RROD'd.

Its manufactor date is 13-07-2007.

Rang MS this morning, UPS arriving tomorrow to pick it up. Smooth so far.

Does the repaired console last long after you get it back? What have been peoples experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

Hi all,

My 360 died over Christmas and finally got around to calling MS this week.

On the emails I received it's says that you have to place it in sturdy packaging that's well padded.....what kind of box did you guys use? And what did you use for padding?

I have nothing lying around the house that's suitable. Would it be worth buying bubble-wrap or do MS repackage it themselves?

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks.

My xbox last a year after it got fixed sent it off for repair on Monday again. Hope it last this time.

As for packing have you any friend who may have got something over the Christmas roughly the same size. I broke up some styrofoam and packed it down the side of the box. MS repackage it on its return so you don't have to worry about having the best of packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

A year! what exactly do they do to repair them does anyone know?

Regarding the packing, I just got a large box from work, i could probably fit 2 xbox's in it. I got a load of bubble wrap and styrofoam too, and will pack the xbox in tight.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    A year! what exactly do they do to repair them does anyone know?

Regarding the packing, I just got a large box from work, i could probably fit 2 xbox's in it. I got a load of bubble wrap and styrofoam too, and will pack the xbox in tight.

I wouldn't mind but I don't even use it that much. Although it looks like a different problem this year, last time all the images where green and then displayed nothing after a few minute. This year it your normal RROD so hope it last because the 3 year warranty is up soon.

• Advertisement

Well got my xbox back yesterday. Sent it away the 17th got it back the 6th of january.

It says ive a replacement and I had a quick look at i think the manufactured date is 2008 and its alot quiter than my old xbox without any annoying disc read error messages i used to get.

Theres a bit of a shuttling sound when the disc is spinning but apart from that heres hoping itl be free from rrod number 2!

Advertisement