Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

your legally obliged to accept a repair though,., in most cases you'll do well to get a cash refund or like for like replacement after 30days. if its older they will offer a repair service to you. they dont have to offer a replacement straight away although some might. I think an item has to be faulty for a third time before you can demand a replacement instead of a repair.

As far as my own 360 case goes...
    I packaged it all up last night with the printed out labels and made the appointment online on the UPS site. the guy arrived today to collect it and he was only too familiar with the 360 repair service( yeah, you'd think so by now huh.,:p) and he reckoned he'd be seeing me again in a week with a replacement.
    Thats a hell of a turn around wouldn't ya think? i personally dont care weather they repair it or replace etc, as long as it works.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

A turnaround of a week is pretty good...

My elite was picked up thursday morning, and only made it to the repair place in germany this morning, the repair status on the XBOX.com aint changed, so i'd be very lucky to get it this week, i'd be expecting sometime next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It takes a while to update initially, both times I've sent 360s off for repair (second one wasn't mine) it's taken a week (exactly) for the total turnaround time. The repair status didn't change quickly, once it arrived it didn't take long for it to be sent back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I had my xbox picked up on the 5th and its on its way back to me so hopefully get it back by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Now on my second RROD, the first was dec 07.
    The first time I waited originally about 2 weeks for the UPS dockets.

It happended last nite and got str8 on to the support centre, ya man said that the UPS details will be in my mail in a max of 48hrs and low and behold they were there this morning. He was a helpful fella dispite laughing at everything I said re the box being broken (must be a PS3 user)!!!

So the box is boxed roped and ready to go.

Wish me luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 buttersbrady

Got my 360 back from Germany today. Switched it on. Lo and behold the red rings of death. Again. I felt like kicking a hole in the bedroom door!:mad:
    Told a friend. He checked the cables. Pushed the power cable into the 360 fully and unbelieveably it worked. I switched it off and a few times to make sure and it's still ok. Why would it red ring if the power cable wasnt pushed in fully?

I think you get 4 red lights if a cable isnt connected proprerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Does anyone that has recently gotten their XBox back from MS know if they got a new Jasper chipset?

The repair status on XBOX.com is so slow to update, according to UPS, my console arrived there yesterday morning, the repair status has only now updated from 1.Repair request submitted to 2.Waiting for device at service center:confused::confused:....

The report for mine seems to be updating fine for mine, on both XBox.com and the UPS tracker. It left Tamworth today at 4:19, so should get here tomorrow sometime. WOO HOO!!

• Advertisement

Has anyone had any hassle checking the status of their repair? I checked on service.xbox.com and it wants the service number and a postal code, only we don't have postal codes and it wont accept na, "NA", "N/A", "0000" etc etc

Postal codes aren't required to find the status of the repair. Just put your Service Repair No. in the box and hit submit

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

LD 50 wrote: »
    Postal codes aren't required to find the status of the repair. Just put your Service Repair No. in the box and hit submit

pretty sure you do need the postal code. it was a question earlier in this thread and the reply was to use 'NA' for the postal code.

i just tried my service number with and without the 'SRX' and 'ID' bits and using no postal code but it wouldn't let me through and then i tried the 10 digit service number with 'NA' as the postal code and up came the repair status!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I was thinking of getting myself bga rework station and start to fix xboxes in proper way, reball gpu & cpu if needed, get rid of xclamps etc.
    What would be interest in this kind of service?

Note: this would be real fix, not the temporary nuts instead of xclamp way. If people are charging 40-60e to fix I was thinking about 75e with half year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Got my xbox back today they replaced the dvd drive and motherboard. Not a bad turn around for it being picked up on the 5th

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

docentore wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting myself bga rework station and start to fix xboxes in proper way, reball gpu & cpu if needed, get rid of xclamps etc.
    What would be interest in this kind of service?

Note: this would be real fix, not the temporary nuts instead of xclamp way. If people are charging 40-60e to fix I was thinking about 75e with half year warranty.

someone also does the redrings fix..
    30euro for it, used to give a 3 month warrenty but now only give 1 month, but why bother paying someone... 75 quid for it when you can get ms to do it for nothing and replace parts instead of fix :)

I think i figured out why its not working for me,
    i noticed that the URL has "US" in it and up in the corner it says america so i think im on the site for the wrong region., only thing is tohugh, when i click it to select my own country i cant get back to checking the repair status., if i open the link again it goes back to the american one.,:confused:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/LiveIDSignIn.aspx?redirectUrl=http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/registerdevice.aspx?step=status

could someone post the link to the proper one? I typed in service.xbox.com and it keeps going to the american one.,

cheers.,:)

Lenny wrote: »
    someone also does the redrings fix..
    30euro for it, used to give a 3 month warrenty but now only give 1 month, but why bother paying someone... 75 quid for it when you can get ms to do it for nothing and replace parts instead of fix :)

30 euro for xclamp replacement, its only temporary fix. Bolts and washers costs around 2e so its kind of expensive for half an hour job. I'm talking about real fix, with reballing chips.

Some people have their seals broken etc. so they can't send their consoles to M$.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

30 euro for xclamp replacement, its only temporary fix. Bolts and washers costs around 2e so its kind of expensive for half an hour job. I'm talking about real fix, with reballing chips.

Some people have their seals broken etc. so they can't send their consoles to M$.
    I've had my seals broken and drive flashed.. sent it back to ms there yesterday so I'll let you know the result!
    on the front outer seal I just compleatey washed the seal off to try make it look like it never had one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

Got an email from MS yesterday saying they have received my console so hopefully i'll have it back by next weekend:confused:

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote: »
    I've had my seals broken and drive flashed.. sent it back to ms there yesterday so I'll let you know the result!
    on the front outer seal I just compleatey washed the seal off to try make it look like it never had one..

Yes, let us know. But I think they will going to send you a bill

Yes, let us know. But I think they will going to send you a bill

I had read up on other forums that some poeple had sent them back no probs.. one person even sent his chipped and opened one back 3 times..
    I just bought a new xbox today.. so dono what to do, if they send me a bill might not pay it, but then they'll prob fix it up and sell it on to someone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

well thats the reason they are typically replacing the motherboard and the drive, so if you have a flashed drive you will received back a tougher to flash liteon drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Can I just say i think it's ridiculous that you have to go through all this hassle of packaging and sending your Xbox back to Microsoft because of their defective design and all you get is a lousy 1 month subscription! its costs them nothing! I'd be expecting at least a years subscription. The one month sub will conver the time I'm without the box but what about the hassle of dealing with tech support,packaging it,arranging delivery etc. etc. all because of their poor design/development/testing of the product.

Poor show Microsoft! I will think twice before buying products from them in the future.

cianr wrote: »
    Can I just say i think it's ridiculous that you have to go through all this hassle of packaging and sending your Xbox back to Microsoft because of their defective design and all you get is a lousy 1 month subscription! its costs them nothing! I'd be expecting at least a years subscription. The one month sub will conver the time I'm without the box but what about the hassle of dealing with tech support,packaging it,arranging delivery etc. etc. all because of their poor design/development/testing of the product.

Poor show Microsoft! I will think twice before buying products from them in the future.
    What do you mean it costs them nothing. They have a $1billion account to pay for the repairs. Thats enough to repair every console, or replace every third console.
    They aren't going to give you anything more than 1 month Live because it happens to so many boxes, they'd lose serious money from people just deliberatly Red ringing their console and waiting till it gets back with a 1 year Live card.
    Then again, I don't see why we have to pay for it in the first place.

I think i figured out why its not working for me,
    i noticed that the URL has "US" in it and up in the corner it says america so i think im on the site for the wrong region., only thing is tohugh, when i click it to select my own country i cant get back to checking the repair status., if i open the link again it goes back to the american one.,:confused:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/LiveIDSignIn.aspx?redirectUrl=http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/registerdevice.aspx?step=status

could someone post the link to the proper one? I typed in service.xbox.com and it keeps going to the american one.,

cheers.,:)
    Heres the link for the Irish site.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/
    If that doesn't work, or you get redirected to the US site again, clear your cache and cookies, and try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

What do you mean it costs them nothing.

I meant a one month sub costs them nothing! :)
    Then again, I don't see why we have to pay for it in the first place.

Hear! Hear! Playstation for me next time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

today i was playing my xbox360 but then i had a short power cut in my house. When the power came back on i saw four red rings:( on the 360 so i turn it off , after one hour i turn it on again . I was glad it was back to good old green light but does it mean i get the rrod not for long:confused:

by the way i only had my xbox360 for 6 weeks now

Nope, 4 red lights is just a loose cable...

The XBOX doesnt turn back on after 3 red lights!

• Advertisement

cianr wrote: »
    I meant a one month sub costs them nothing! :)
    Ah, now I get ya.
    Earthday wrote:
    today i was playing my xbox360 but then i had a short power cut in my house. When the power came back on i saw four red ringsfrown.gif on the 360 so i turn it off , after one hour i turn it on again . I was glad it was back to good old green light but does it mean i get the rrod not for longconfused.gif

by the way i only had my xbox360 for 6 weeks no

It should be OK. The 4 red lights are different to the RRoD(3 red flashing lights) of a General Hardware Failure.

Advertisement