Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

the location of the xbox can be tracked via ups.com.

the status is on xbox.com under support, they will also mail you when there is a status change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

So my xbox arrived back yesterday... :mad:

Not fixed.

Apparently its been tampered with. So the fact that i had it repaired a year ago (by Microsoft themselves) for different problems and whoever fixed it then didnt redo the security deeley on it means the warranty is now void. So no repair for me.

The fact that iv never even tried to open my xbox myself is pissing me off. I called them last night and they wont budge.

So im gonna just fix it myself, all i need now is a rock, vaseline, some scotch tape, and the biggest window i can find on the front of Microsofts building.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Korvanica wrote: »

Not fixed.

Apparently its been tampered with. So the fact that i had it repaired a year ago (by Microsoft themselves) for different problems and whoever fixed it then didnt redo the security deeley on it means the warranty is now void. So no repair for me.

The fact that iv never even tried to open my xbox myself is pissing me off. I called them last night and they wont budge.

So im gonna just fix it myself, all i need now is a rock, vaseline, some scotch tape, and the biggest window i can find on the front of Microsofts building.

Ah no way man, thats a bummer. You have me thinking now that they could have just sent mine back the way it was now..
    but the girl on the phone did say it was repaired and on the way back..
    hmm, where you able to track your repair status online? cause i was never able too kept getting errors that it could not be found, and how long did it take with sending it to them and getting it back?
    Ah I see that you say it was only in with them for three hours..
    bummer. my hologram was missing so I just washed the thing compleatly off and left no trance on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

My 11 month old Elite, that I purposely traded my premium for as it had the new chipset and smaller power supply, got the RROD yesterday, dug out the receipt and took it back to Gamestop, thankfully they exchanged wih no issues at all, phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Korvanica wrote: »

Not fixed.

Check your mails have you the reference from last years repair, kick up a stink with them and ask to speak to a supervisior, you'll be waiting for 40-50 minutes but tell them you've just wasted an hour of your life holding to speak to them and its M$ fault they did not put the security sticker on the xbox last year. The Supervisior should authorise the return and repair of it then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vidic15mu

Is There any special precautions needed to avoid getting the rrod??or does it just occur by its self?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just RR'd myself while in the middle of GOW2 :/

Console is less than a year old but bought in Game in England. Anyone know if I can bring it to Game here or will I have to ship it to MS?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jim wrote: »
    Just RR'd myself while in the middle of GOW2 :/

Console is less than a year old but bought in Game in England. Anyone know if I can bring it to Game here or will I have to ship it to MS?
    Nevermind.

Took the HD out for 10 minutes and its back working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

vidic15mu wrote: »
    Is There any special precautions needed to avoid getting the rrod??or does it just occur by its self?
    Most of the time it will happen. Its a design flaw that affects most XBox's.
    you can try standing the console upright. This increases the air flow around the chipset, which is where the problem lies. But beware that standing the console upright can increase the risk of circular disk scratches. And if its on for more than 5 hrs, switch it off and let it cool for 5-10mins.
    But basicly, if its gonna happen, it'll happen. These wont prevent it, just delay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Mine got the single red light in the bottom right corner. seems to be a problem with the scaler chip.

Spoke to ms last night who said I have a two year warranty and mentioned getting my receipt and it could be fixed.

The thing was definately bought over two years ago.. so they're looking for the date of purchase I assume to confirm the warranty?

I don't have my receipt. It was bought in Tescos in november 2006. Does anyone know if I have any alternative options other than paying €90 for microsoft to repair it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

I also got the single red light bottom red corner today after installing the new update, they want €87 to fix it because it was bought in April 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I also got the single red light bottom red corner today after installing the new update, they want €87 to fix it because it was bought in April 2006!

When did the new update come out?

I paid last night on the phone to get mine repaired. Need to get it sent off now. Need to clarify with them again - they said on the phone UPS would be collecting the box but I guess I still need to get the label to print..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gingface

NOOOOOO!!!

god damn! can't believe this happened to me, i have to look over this thread now and figure out what to do but i'll definetly be staying away from any towels :P

I just got the new update last night and within 40minutes it started to crash. Then it crashed again this evening, i flicked it back on and those 3 blood filled lines appeared!

...i just wanna play games! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

At least you got 3 lights (that gets an extended 3 year warranty) i only got 1 which mean i have to line Billy G's pockets some more!

I opted to buy a new console reather then pay to fix a dodgy one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Gingface wrote: »
    NOOOOOO!!!

god damn! can't believe this happened to me, i have to look over this thread now and figure out what to do but i'll definetly be staying away from any towels :P

Call this number, 1800 509186,

They'll ask you to diagnose the problem etc etc. ask you about the red lights and ask you what colour the light is on the power pack when the console is on/off. it should be orange-off, green-On.

then they'll tell ya it'll have to be picked up and sent for repair in frankfurt. she'll ask ya if you want them to post you the labels or if you want them to email them. I hear the emailed option is more reliable and i choose this one myself. i got them in a few hours.

they send you an email with links to ups to arrange a pickup online. and the other link with the document you have to print and stick on the box.

pack the console up, nothing else other than the console itself and attach that label to it, hand to UPS guy, simple....

after a few hours it'll be on UPS's tracking service (which was in the email you get from MS), then when mircosoft themselve have it they'll email you to let you know and give you the Service Request ID and a link to view the progress of the repair by inputing the ID number.

Mine had a turnaround of a week but from what ive heard it usually takes 2 weeks. once its shipped microsoft will email you again with rtacking info from ups site.

job done., :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Perhaps a silly question but where do I get the packaging to put the xbox into?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They won't send you any packaging or anything, you'll have to sort it out yourself.

Best bet is to ask for a box in a shop that sells weird shaped things, eg. electronics, toys or em, Xboxes. They're usually happy enough to let you have one, it means they have one less box to dispose of. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gingface

Sounds pretty straight forward to get sorted. Thanks Masada!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just checked my tracking number and my Xbox has left Tamworth and is in transit. Do UPS only deliver Monday to Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Just checked my tracking number and my Xbox has left Tamworth and is in transit. Do UPS only deliver Monday to Friday?
    Yup any experience I've had of UPS is strictly Mon/Fri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Got mine back exactly one week from collection. Pretty nice work. Sent away my Halo Edition xbox without a faceplate or anything. Got it back, with a replaced motherboard and a new faceplate! Not the regular one either. I got a new Halo Edition Exbox faceplate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I keep getting the error after maybe 10-30 minutes of playing a game

This disc is unreadable. It may be the wrong region for this console. Match the region of the disc to the console. Clean the disc with a soft cloth. Restart the console. For more help, go to www.xbox.com/support.

This is with any game i try and play and is not related to one particular disk.

I presume i will need to contact them ? Is this a common error ?

Edit - Its still well within 12months since i bought it but i can't find the receipt.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I think mine is on the way out...again. This would be the third time, random "disc unreadable" messages.

Anything that can be done before the inevitable??

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

Got my first red rings today on a 2006 xbox. UPS are collecting it in the morning. Be savage if i got a HDMI unit in return

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Got my first red rings today on a 2006 xbox. UPS are collecting it in the morning. Be savage if i got a HDMI unit in return

I got an email from Microsoft saying they received my xbox and tht i can track it's progress on their site. When i log in and try to check the servicecall it says there is no active service call. When I click on the serial number of the registered xbox it tells me that it is on its way back to me.

what i noticed was that the serial number was different to what i originally registered and there is a new warranty expiration date of the end of this year (mine had previously expired in 2007) so i'm hoping its a HDMI version they are sending me, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Brianb8802 wrote: »

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Got mine back Monday, two weeks to the day it was collected. Like you I had a (mid) 2006 unit and this was the second time mine was sent away. I was convinced it would be too much trouble to fix it and that I'd receive a new machine. Turns out I was wrong.

They replaced the motherboard and the DVD drive. Thing is, I can't get over how much quieter it is. The optical drive is significantly quieter, it was like a hoover before and the there's no comparison when it's idling - even when it was brand new. I'm convinced they're after putting a falcon or maybe Jasper into the original non hdmi case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I got the three red rings for the first time today. I got my 360 on launch day in December 2005, that would put it at over three years old, is the three year exteded warranty that some mention here on top of the original one year warranty or instead of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Kess73 wrote: »
    I got the three red rings for the first time today. I got my 360 on launch day in December 2005, that would put it at over three years old, is the three year exteded warranty that some mention here on top of the original one year warranty or instead of it?

I think your still ok.I think they are treating the 3 red rings of death as a special case.I got the 3 red rings in 2007 and they repaired it,i got the 3 red rings again at christmas 2008 and they repaired it again.There is a support number online and i found them to be very helpfull.If you can't find the number let me know and i will root it out at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What are the prices now for a new one, say an arcade system?

Any free games thrown in anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

what i noticed was that the serial number was different to what i originally registered and there is a new warranty expiration date of the end of this year (mine had previously expired in 2007) so i'm hoping its a HDMI version they are sending me, fingers crossed

Keep us posted looks like you could be onto something
    They replaced the motherboard and the DVD drive. Thing is, I can't get over how much quieter it is. The optical drive is significantly quieter, it was like a hoover before and the there's no comparison when it's idling - even when it was brand new. I'm convinced they're after putting a falcon or maybe Jasper into the original non hdmi case.

Hhmmm, id definately sacrifice the hdmi for a quiter and more reliable xbox. I read some where that the newest version (jasper:confused:) has finally conquered the whole RRoD dealio. Is that true? Cant remember where i saw it.

Advertisement